6.0.4 revisited

Would you put 6.4 compounds on your truck?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Sleep on it.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Not going to waste my brain cells on this one.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The juice isn't worth the sqeeze!

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • My truck already has 6.4 compounds!

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

ford rules

Reaction score
Depends how much those compounds quiet the exhaust down but i would still think its to loud.

Wayne

Reaction score
Anything in front of seating is illegal, which is why you get ticketed for hood stacks. Why the need to have your exhaust somewhere other than intended by Ford? Under the cab just says you're too lazy to do it right anyway

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Anything in front of seating is illegal, which is why you get ticketed for hood stacks. Why the need to have your exhaust somewhere other than intended by Ford? Under the cab just says you're too lazy to do it right anyway

If I were lazy then why try to be creative? Again, If I put it where Ford "intended" then it wouldn't be unique. I also wouldn't have put in all the time that I did to put in the 6.4 turbo's if I did what Ford "intended".

Not being an @$$ just making a point we all personalize our trucks in ways that we like.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the axle dump. It tends to resinate in the cab. If I have a loud exhast I intemd others to hear is better then me. Just my .02

ford rules

Reaction score
From hearing the 6.4's i have with exhaust i would bet that Jons truck isnt all that loud compared to other 6.0's just because of the compounds on it.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
It's quiet at idle, sounds like a 6.4 when accelerating from a stand still, but once the veins of the VGT are open it sounds just the same as any 6.0.

I think I am going to cut my stack down and turn it into a dual or single side exit just before the rear wheel...

Here is a video cruising out to my partners new house.
http://youtu.be/BTx4V_gQtBI

Here are our rigs (minus my partners '05 250 KR)
upudu4y7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Tore down my spare set of injectors, I will just need to take final measurements of the internals and I'll be taking them to my machine shop to cut the intensifier piston and make fuel plate shims just as soon as I feel 100% confident about my math...
mapymate.jpg

Stroked777

Reaction score
I can't believe I just found this thread. I read it from the beginning and this is and awesome build. Glad to see it work after everyone said it wouldn't or would be pointless

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I can't believe I just found this thread. I read it from the beginning and this is and awesome build. Glad to see it work after everyone said it wouldn't or would be pointless

Thanks for the support!

My I he for parts are off to be machined. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas now...

I realized I didn't update from my boost leak and suspected 'high' EGTs. I must have had a few pinhole leaks. At 75 MPH EGTs are 725-750, WOT are low 1200. I really hope that more fuel will bring more air, in peaking at about 32lbs.

Anyone running the IDP xtreme street tune on a stock turbo that can share what they're maxing out at in boost pressure?

Wayne

Reaction score

If I were lazy then why try to be creative? Again, If I put it where Ford "intended" then it wouldn't be unique. I also wouldn't have put in all the time that I did to put in the 6.4 turbo's if I did what Ford "intended".

Not being an @$$ just making a point we all personalize our trucks in ways that we like.

Not being an @$$ just making a point we all make decisions we regret, and are not proud of. I could smear various condiments all over a canvas, and call it a masterpiece. Maybe I'm too lazy or cheap to buy some paint, and a brush. Maybe I actually think it would be a good idea. That would cover your criteria of unique and creative, but wouldn't be quality art by most people's standards.

You took a good concept of putting these turbos on your 6.0, and turned it into a reality. The idea has been talked about ever since the 6.4 came out, but you are the first person I'm aware of who decided the benefit outweighed the cost of making that happen. With that part of the equation, you cover unique and creative, and get huge props for pulling off a difficult task.

You introduced this thread looking for opinions, insight, etc, and I gave you mine. My opinion is that a hood stack or under cab dump on a daily driver vehicle is idiotic and impractical. I have the same OPINION about fender exit. On a competition vehicle, or something in the product development phase, my opinion is totally different and practicality is measured on a much different scale.

I'm glad to see you considering a more practical exhaust exit, although I will warn you it gets old cleaning exhaust soot off half your bedside and one wheel while the rest remains shiny. I would have kept my mouth shut on this whole thing if you planned on doing a temporary down pipe dump or whatever so you could begin testing. I get that. I've been down that road myself. When you started talking about it like a hood stack is a good, unique, and creative permanent solution, I felt inclined to warn you about others' perspective, as I assumed you did it seeking positive attention . I'm sure you'll have an exhaust as cool as the rest of the project by the time it all shakes out. I'm really looking forward to how it runs after the increased fuel. Still in for updates. Keep up the good work.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Not being an @$$ just making a point we all make decisions we regret, and are not proud of. I could smear various condiments all over a canvas, and call it a masterpiece. Maybe I'm too lazy or cheap to buy some paint, and a brush. Maybe I actually think it would be a good idea. That would cover your criteria of unique and creative, but wouldn't be quality art by most people's standards.

You took a good concept of putting these turbos on your 6.0, and turned it into a reality. The idea has been talked about ever since the 6.4 came out, but you are the first person I'm aware of who decided the benefit outweighed the cost of making that happen. With that part of the equation, you cover unique and creative, and get huge props for pulling off a difficult task.

You introduced this thread looking for opinions, insight, etc, and I gave you mine. My opinion is that a hood stack or under cab dump on a daily driver vehicle is idiotic and impractical. I have the same OPINION about fender exit. On a competition vehicle, or something in the product development phase, my opinion is totally different and practicality is measured on a much different scale.

I'm glad to see you considering a more practical exhaust exit, although I will warn you it gets old cleaning exhaust soot off half your bedside and one wheel while the rest remains shiny. I would have kept my mouth shut on this whole thing if you planned on doing a temporary down pipe dump or whatever so you could begin testing. I get that. I've been down that road myself. When you started talking about it like a hood stack is a good, unique, and creative permanent solution, I felt inclined to warn you about others' perspective, as I assumed you did it seeking positive attention . I'm sure you'll have an exhaust as cool as the rest of the project by the time it all shakes out. I'm really looking forward to how it runs after the increased fuel. Still in for updates. Keep up the good work.

After much consideration, being unique means calling attention. That is the last thing I am looking to do at this point. Supposedly they are handing out $20K fines here in Jersey. I'll try not to be on a receiving end of one of those. Exiting it in front of the rear wheel will do the trick for now, until I get bored of that LOL

Considering my injectors will be back soon enough, and I will want to get them in ASAP. I am not sure what seals were replaced in my HPO rails, anyone suggest anything specific to replace while I'm in there?

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
After much consideration, being unique means calling attention. That is the last thing I am looking to do at this point. Supposedly they are handing out $20K fines here in Jersey. I'll try not to be on a receiving end of one of those. Exiting it in front of the rear wheel will do the trick for now, until I get bored of that LOL

Considering my injectors will be back soon enough, and I will want to get them in ASAP. I am not sure what seals were replaced in my HPO rails, anyone suggest anything specific to replace while I'm in there?

$20k fines for a hoodstack!? Holy hell! I never had any issues for the few months I had one... Glad to see your truck up and running though! Hope to check it out next time we meet.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I am running idp's xstreet tune on my stock setup and it's pushing around 37-38 lbs. My gauge reads at the intake elbow/horn. I will say that your egt's are perfect though. Mine have reached upwards of 1600*

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
$20k fines for a hoodstack!? Holy hell! I never had any issues for the few months I had one... Glad to see your truck up and running though! Hope to check it out next time we meet.

I'll be at XDP's open house again this year, plan to get the truck on the dyno there again, considering Eric is booked up for a while.

I am running idp's xstreet tune on my stock setup and it's pushing around 37-38 lbs. My gauge reads at the intake elbow/horn. I will say that your egt's are perfect though. Mine have reached upwards of 1600*

I just popped the hood today and looked over the welds on my IC pips. I can see there are still a number of pinhole leaks which will add up quickly in lost psi.... Hopefully I can get that all buttoned up this weekend.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I just popped the hood today and looked over the welds on my IC pips. I can see there are still a number of pinhole leaks which will add up quickly in lost psi.... Hopefully I can get that all buttoned up this weekend.

You should just have them tig welded

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Well, they are TIG welded, just not by a pro.

I've also been thinking, even with leaks my EGT's are well within check. The highest I have seen on a WOT is 1350*

6 L chevy eater

Reaction score
could you drop a set of tow powers or somthing like that right in the place if u wanted too?? Elite has some hellacious drop ins for the 6 fo

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
That is the plan. I hope to upgrade to the 71 or 72 mm next. I am waiting on my injectors to come back from being machined to 205cc's. That with the stock 65mm should set a good baseline. Can't wait to get the setup on the dyno at XDP's open house event this year.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I may have an onslaught of things going wrong with the truck, failing injectors and up-pipe leaks. The reason I think so is that only recently I noticed that the idiot that re-installed my setup after my initial fabrication, did not tighten the bolts on the divers side exhaust manifold to the proper torque (Bolts that have just disappeared). On top of that: I believe when he rushed my welding job, and pulled out his own welder (not with stainless filler metal) he stressed the bellows and cracked them, or did not weld the drivers side up-pipe air tight. HE WELDED THE DRIVER SIDE, WHILE I WELDED THE PASSENGERS SIDE. Mean while I have removed the passenger side, and there were NO signs of leaks on the ENTIRE pipe. I guess I have no choice but to remove the drivers side up pipe to check it as well as replace the missing manifold bolts.

The good news is that, I got my injectors back from someone on the forums here who promised the world and delivered garbage. Yeah that doesn't sound lovely but at least I got them back, and they're at the machinist that I planned on originally taking them to. I should have them back within a WEEK. This will eliminate the injector issue, than I will just have to bite the bullet and remove the drivers side up pipe for inspection. :cursing:
For you guys with 6.0 exhaust manifolds, its easy, for me its NOT.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.