7.3 internals

DocBar

Reaction score
Pick the turbo set up, HPOP, fuel system and injectors of choice then get one of these. That will save time and money plus you'll have a great warranty by great people who know how to build a 7.3 the right way.

3l-stock-performance-rebuild.jpg

Black 02

Reaction score
Pick the turbo set up, HPOP, fuel system and injectors of choice then get one of these. That will save time and money plus you'll have a great warranty by great people who know how to build a 7.3 the right way.

3l-stock-performance-rebuild.jpg

Doc, I see you have a David Lott engine, but recommended Swamps. Is there a reason for that?

I'm honestly asking because I've considered going the DI competition block route.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
No need to get sore.

I'm not sore. I'm stating fact- I've even posted in threads with you in it about leaving that drama elsewhere - and I do mean that. Facts seem to be something that I have seen that you seem to want to argue with and contradict on multiple occasions with many people on this forum. As an additional piece of small and kind word of advice - look at your approach to others in your posting - perhaps that is why you seem to constantly be rubbing people the wrong way.

DocBar

Reaction score
Doc, I see you have a David Lott engine, but recommended Swamps. Is there a reason for that?

I'm honestly asking because I've considered going the DI competition block route.
David builds a helluva motor. I am very happy with mine now that I finally have all the bugs worked out of it. None of those have been mechanical in nature.
I posted the Swamps motor because they have a very detailed list of components and processes that David doesn't have on his website. You can actually look and see what you're getting.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm not sore. I'm stating fact- I've even posted in threads with you in it about leaving that drama elsewhere - and I do mean that. Facts seem to be something that I have seen that you seem to want to argue with and contradict on multiple occasions with many people on this forum. As an additional piece of small and kind word of advice - look at your approach to others in your posting - perhaps that is why you seem to constantly be rubbing people the wrong way.

The only way I could fathom people being rubbed the wrong way by me on an online forum is not jumping when commanded to jump, and not looking at the ceiling when I've heard Mr Gullible is sitting on it.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Personally i'd shoot myself in the foot before i'd try and build a 900hp work truck. I had large twins, and all the goodies on mine. I never dynoed, but it was definitely a big hp truck. **** broke.... all the time. It was bad enough i had to own another truck to drive while i worked on the other one and it took 2 years to work out the bugs. You might try 500 and see how it works for you before you shoot for the moon.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Personally i'd shoot myself in the foot before i'd try and build a 900hp work truck. I had large twins, and all the goodies on mine. I never dynoed, but it was definitely a big hp truck. **** broke.... all the time. It was bad enough i had to own another truck to drive while i worked on the other one and it took 2 years to work out the bugs. You might try 500 and see how it works for you before you shoot for the moon.

:whs: I was in the same boat, had a high hp street truck/puller/drag truck, seemed like I was wrenching on it every time I ran it, even with a lot of the best parts money can buy. Yes it was fun but it was just stupid to have a truck like that for the street, it spent all its time on the street in a tune that was around the 500hp mark any way. Its now retired to a dedicated puller and I bought another to build into a 4-500hp street truck. I definatly dont want to in any way discourage anyone from doing a project like the op has planned, just be prepared for some hard work and to spend some money.

7.3forlife

Reaction score
Ill just put a box back on my truck eventually. But 500 for now till i build a engine then decide were to go from

Project20v

Reaction score
If you have a 500-900 goal and are willing to spend upwards of 10-30k you really should consider a Cummins. I don't want to bash the 7.3, it is a great engine, but they just don't survive at those power levels and it's extremely expensive to get there. You can get a low mileage 6.7 for $5500. complete, build a nasty compound turbo and fueling system for another 10K, get all the adapters or build them for 3k and have an animal that can tow with power too. Don't rule it out.

7.3forlife

Reaction score
I know... iv thought about the Cummins rout but i just cant bring myself to having a truck payment. And a truck that i dont have to make payments on i can afford to fix when it breaks.

7.3forlife

Reaction score
Im actually a cummins mechanic by trade and have drove and made some pretty nasty 5.9s and 6.7s i just dont want to be like everyone else that wants big power. I want to do things a different (and difficult) way

Project20v

Reaction score
I'm talking about a Cummins conversion, not a new truck. If your'e a Cummins mechanic you should know your are making a mistake building a 7.3 IMO. Look at the fuel system, the common rail is light years ahead of the electo-hydraulic unit injector. I just does not make sense to me to put the time, effort, and money in to the 7.3 with your goals. If you want 350/700 fine, but more from an outdated design? You'll always have to turn it way down to tow too, it has 2 valves and a slobbering injection system. Really, do what you want, but I think it's a waste, not a challenge.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm talking about a Cummins conversion, not a new truck. If your'e a Cummins mechanic you should know your are making a mistake building a 7.3 IMO. Look at the fuel system, the common rail is light years ahead of the electo-hydraulic unit injector. I just does not make sense to me to put the time, effort, and money in to the 7.3 with your goals. If you want 350/700 fine, but more from an outdated design? You'll always have to turn it way down to tow too, it has 2 valves and a slobbering injection system. Really, do what you want, but I think it's a waste, not a challenge.

What about a common rail 6.4? Or a common rail 6.7 powerstroke? Or how about a common-rail converted (or even p-pump converted) 7.3 that makes 1000+ hp?

Oh wait, its not a cummins nevermind. The cummans nevar looooosas!

Project20v

Reaction score
I'm for anything Common rail. It's just that the Cummins is easier. I think it would be awesome to put a Scorpion in to an older truck.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im all for the.12v or 7.3td doing something. Id even entertain doing a cr retrofit to a 7.3 but I am about 20grand short of.what id need to.do it.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm for anything Common rail. It's just that the Cummins is easier. I think it would be awesome to put a Scorpion in to an older truck.

Ah, well cheers to that buddy. Although I wouldn't say a 6.7 cummins would be any bit easier than a 6.4 or 6.7 powerstroke, I agree that anything cr is great.

Im all for the.12v or 7.3td doing something. Id even entertain doing a cr retrofit to a 7.3 but I am about 20grand short of.what id need to.do it.

Cr and p-pumped 7.3s are absolutely disgusting, but ya the money it costs is retarded.

2000wa250

Reaction score
I think everyone needs to step back away from the keyboard. Everyone is new at some point - everyone has something to learn no matter how many years you've been doing it - or how experienced you might be.

This group "kill the inexperienced noob" mentality needs to stop. The guy is asking questions - just answer them to the best of your ability. Noobs also need to learn a little bit on how to state their wants, goals, desires, and what it means to be "currently working" on something.

To the guys that think this is such an evil hypocritical place where everyone puts others down and is flushed with cash - you are free to leave at any time - no one is twisting your arm to be here. You are here because this is the highest concentration of true PSD performance knowledge on the web. This place is built by the been there, done that Alpha males that have actually done or at least been part of many of the things that some people might consider "new and innovative" even though it was more than likely done without the internet flair months if not YEARS before the noobs ever made their first post.

I see problems on both sides - and the noobs and the vets need to learn to deal with each other.

To the OP: You don't need or want to run that heavy truck at 900HP on the bottle at the track - you'll never be happy with the amount of headache that you will have given yourself. 500-550hp on fuel with compounds on a stock bottom end will be awesome with the right combo of parts and tuning and you can enjoy it - even have a true 400-420rwhp tow tune if feel like upgrading everything in the drive line to be able to actually use it on a regular basis without melting your chit down.

Oh - and I might know a little bit about upgraded 7.3 internals.
2583236950088936788mpcsOR_fs.jpg

2616004580088936788FdRGVL_fs.jpg

2121602870088936788UGoWwo_fs.jpg

2854207620088936788yFzjCU_fs.jpg

Hrt got anymore info on those roller rockers? First I've seen of them on a 7.3 application and a little interested....feel free to pm me if we don't want to clutter up this thread anymore

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Project20v

Reaction score
Ah, well cheers to that buddy. Although I wouldn't say a 6.7 cummins would be any bit easier than a 6.4 or 6.7 powerstroke.

I'm running a 6.7 in my '99. It's not that hard and parts for the swap are readily available. I don't know about the 6.4 or Scorpion, but I've never seen one as a conversion.

The reason I'm a Cummins fan is because of the low end torque. You loose 2 cylinders and that is made up with stroke, stroke is torque. I think the V8's can make horspower a bit easier, but I'm a torque guy. I can tell you from first hand experience that the Cummins pulls out of the hole stronger than any V8 I've driven. I'm not a racer, I like a little offroading, and do lots of towing.

I want to be clear that I'm not a Powerstroke hater. I saw downfalls of my 7.3, put it all out on paper and determined that the smart money and my interests were best served with a Cummins swap. I probably never would have ditched my 7.3 had it not failed, I really liked it except for the noise and smoke and somewhat weak bottom end (torque).

Latest posts

Members online