7.3 Turbo talk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
thanks man, what would you recommend for my current setup ( under $1500 if possible ) Im running superchips propane injection, rosewood stage 1's, PHP 140 extreme tunes.

Chad

Your best route would be pulling the stock turbo and putting in a direct replacement 38r, its complete bolt in. No changes made and it will support your stage 1s perfectly. If you plan to go quite a bit bigger down the road then maybe a T4 or T4i mount and a larger turbo would be best, but all of those will run you over $1500 most likely and be more work if you dont plan to go larger.

If you have decided the 38r is not what you want, contact Jake @ Irate Diesel and he can get you set up with a turbo for cheap!

Lastly id probably remove the superchip and propane and get a TS performance 6 position chip with custom tunes. Your superchip cant tell the computer that youve got larger than stock injectors, so its still call for stock amounts of fuel. You will love the upgrade just changing chips

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Lastly id probably remove the superchip and propane and get a TS performance 6 position chip with custom tunes. Your superchip cant tell the computer that youve got larger than stock injectors, so its still call for stock amounts of fuel. You will love the upgrade just changing chips

He's running a "Superchip's propane kit", for tunes he has Power Hungry Performance.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can still get a 38r for under 1500$ if you want to go bigger then can add an external wg and still makr good power.... same with you fords4life just gate what you have now and save on buying a hole different. Setup...

If he doesn't plan to go much bigger I'd also second the 38r. I suppose I'm just not a huge fan of the 38r because there isn't tons of room to expand with it, but at the same time for the right people I still think its a great turbo. I like the t4 mount because there is a mass amount of turbos to choose from big or small, normally they aren't overly expensive, and its just an overall more flexible setup IMO.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If he doesn't plan to go much bigger I'd also second the 38r. I suppose I'm just not a huge fan of the 38r because there isn't tons of room to expand with it, but at the same time for the right people I still think its a great turbo. I like the t4 mount because there is a mass amount of turbos to choose from big or small, normally they aren't overly expensive, and its just an overall more flexible setup IMO.
:bs:
Definitely more options.. just easy with a 38r or the sd66.. unless your shooting rite off the bat for over 600 hp

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
:bs:
Definitely more options.. just easy with a 38r or the sd66.. unless your shooting rite off the bat for over 600 hp

The 38r is a good charger but "if" you do end up having issues with one the replacement cost is high. They can't be rebuilt, you can exchange the cartridge with Garrett but you are still looking at a large chunk of change.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
How the hell did that little bs smiley get in my posts... did some one do that or did i do that on accident..

Yes 600 is a bit for a 38r thats why i said shooting for it rite off the bat... but there are a couple 38r's over 550 gated... and a sd66 the same... it can be done is all i was getting at...

fords4life

Reaction score
Just say no to B codes! I think for a Daily Driver/ Tow Truck/ Race Truck, hybrids would be your best friends! Also since you've already got a 38r, if it were me I would consider putting something in front of it like a gt47 since its been a proven well running setup on a couple trucks. But if your not a big fabricator you might want to just get a t4 mount and a big single.

No hybrids for me. I've already got big oil, no reason to take a step back. If I don't go the b-code route I will be going with the stroked a-codes. From what I've seen they are around 225cc and capable of 500. Definitely faster than the hybrids or b-codes since they are still a 7:1 injector.

I know I'd like to go really big, but realistically, I need this to be a safe to drive DD. I'm thinking stroked a-codes with head studs and valve springs and a backpressure sensor so I can monitor the bp on the 38R. The 38R can live happy until I can afford a GQSSB or similar single or add on a second turbo.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
No hybrids for me. I've already got big oil, no reason to take a step back.

Huh, last I checked hybrids aren't exactly a step back and b codes aren't quite the wave of the future in 7.3 performance. I wouldn't quite call b codes with twin hpops a fast injector anymore with some of the advancements with injectors over the past few years either. But to each they're own, if it works for you good, I've done enough derailing for a day. :eek:fftopic

:lookaround:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
No hybrids for me. I've already got big oil, no reason to take a step back. If I don't go the b-code route I will be going with the stroked a-codes. From what I've seen they are around 225cc and capable of 500. Definitely faster than the hybrids or b-codes since they are still a 7:1 injector.

I know I'd like to go really big, but realistically, I need this to be a safe to drive DD. I'm thinking stroked a-codes with head studs and valve springs and a backpressure sensor so I can monitor the bp on the 38R. The 38R can live happy until I can afford a GQSSB or similar single or add on a second turbo.

If you do not want Hybrids then atleast go with the B-Codes. Skip the stroked AA injectors..

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score

Whats the goal or intention with the truck?

You've never ran a set of hybrids so you dont know the potential, i think youd change your mind if you tried a set of properly built ones with good tuning.

Not saying a B code wouldnt be a good idea, but the hybrid is the injector being advanced every day. The B code is a true'd and tried injector from 10 years ago

fords4life

Reaction score
Whats the goal or intention with the truck?

You've never ran a set of hybrids so you dont know the potential, i think youd change your mind if you tried a set of properly built ones with good tuning.

Not saying a B code wouldnt be a good idea, but the hybrid is the injector being advanced every day. The B code is a true'd and tried injector from 10 years ago

The goal is to have a truck capable of 500hp in a race tune, but able to run a 350-400hp DD tune cleanly. From everything I've read so far,the hybrids are not as easy to control down low as the b-codes and stroked a-codes are. All 3 are capable of getting me to where I want to be. I have driven in a truck with with basically the exact same setup that I have except he was running b-codes. Truck was daily driveable and pulled hard all the way through the rpms.

I would like to drive in a truck with hybrids, but there aren't many 7.3s around me that are running performance injectors.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I dont have hybrids but the only time my truck smokes is when im in the throttle hard... i even leave it in my hot tune for towing and thats with a 12k lb gooseneck hooked to it... i can still control the smoke... my dd tune is just a hair less than my hot tune and it barely smokes at all... im not sure but i thought hybrids are easier to control than stage IIs...

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
A guy I know just put 275/200 hybrids in an OBS and the only things done were the chip intake and exhaust. Stock 15* oil pump, No turbo, no inter cooler, nothing but injectors, and on a full throttle run (obviously the injectors are detuned for the trans/ turbo) the truck barely hazes and will not exceed 1200*. With the right tuner now a days you can easily make a set of hybrids much more driveable or street friendly than b codes.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
A guy I know just put 275/200 hybrids in an OBS and the only things done were the chip intake and exhaust. Stock 15* oil pump, No turbo, no inter cooler, nothing but injectors, and on a full throttle run (obviously the injectors are detuned for the trans/ turbo) the truck barely hazes and will not exceed 1200*. With the right tuner now a days you can easily make a set of hybrids much more driveable or street friendly than b codes.

thats sweet!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.