7.3 Turbo talk

BigJDW

Reaction score
Ok this might be a stupid question cause i have no idea what all the abbreviations y'all keep putting up nor am i an expert on specific turbo applications. I just wanted to know if any one has used or knows any one thats used a switchblade turbo. I'm asking because i happened to see a commercial for them and it seemed like a good idea for mostly stock obs.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I have a 466 with 250/100's. Still trying to get everything buttoned back up so I can get some drive time on it. Went with the 66 for the spool up. I tow alot with the truck and it is a 6 speed.

I will post up how it drives once I get it road ready. Hopefully in next week or 2

Please do, as that's almost the exact same setup I plan on running only with bigger nozzles.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
What Injectors were you running with that turbo hrt?

400/200 B-codes with some massaging done to them. If I would have swapped out to some hybids and opened up to a larger turbine wheel that truck of mine would have been WAY nastier than what it was. When I started out with that turbo I had several tell me to was too big to spool - by late 2007 I could make boost with that turbo just by reving the truck in neutral - like 15psi at 3000 with no load if I remember right - I could be a bit off there....

oldschool

Reaction score
Ive red a bunch of these replys and on other sites, and don't really see what i'm looking for. What I want to know is i've got a 96 with standard tranny, intercooler and stage 2 inj. i'ts a work truck that tows sometimes up to 22k gross. stock turbo is starting to leak and needs replaced. I am happy with the power it can produce but am limited to exh temp. pulling grades at 8 or 9k ft, with 8k load, i have to back way out of the throttle to keep it at 1200 deg. Got lots more pedal. Would also like to reduce the smoke on lower end. so I want a turbo that will spool quicker and keep the high end flow and lower the exh temp. am looking at the d66 but see you guys talk up the s476. I would like to a little more info than use this or that turbo, i'd like to know why it's better, and what it'll do. Thanks for the info

V-Ref

Reaction score
I can't tell if Uncool and HRT are being serious about a Journal Bearing 75mm compressor inducer turbo or not.....

My truck would tow, but with any weight/grade, the rpms need to be north of 2100-2200 rpm, otherwise EGTs got warmish, and you need to back out of the go pedal.

oldschool-If I was to spend your money, it would be on a GQSSB and either a Hypermax mount for it, or get a T4i mount built by Irate Diesel or Carson Stauffer. 38R would be the most economical route, but after you bought IH bellowed up pipes, got the right turbine housing (1.15) for it...you're pretty close to the cost of a GQSSB/T4i mount setup.

I don't think towing is on the top of the list of what a 7.3 should do when looking at 71mm+ comp inducer size turbos. My 2 cents for free.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
400/200 B-codes with some massaging done to them. If I would have swapped out to some hybids and opened up to a larger turbine wheel that truck of mine would have been WAY nastier than what it was. When I started out with that turbo I had several tell me to was too big to spool - by late 2007 I could make boost with that turbo just by reving the truck in neutral - like 15psi at 3000 with no load if I remember right - I could be a bit off there....
So a 476 with what exhaust configuration would you suggest?
I can't tell if Uncool and HRT are being serious about a Journal Bearing 75mm compressor inducer turbo or not.....

My truck would tow, but with any weight/grade, the rpms need to be north of 2100-2200 rpm, otherwise EGTs got warmish, and you need to back out of the go pedal.

oldschool-If I was to spend your money, it would be on a GQSSB and either a Hypermax mount for it, or get a T4i mount built by Irate Diesel or Carson Stauffer. 38R would be the most economical route, but after you bought IH bellowed up pipes, got the right turbine housing (1.15) for it...you're pretty close to the cost of a GQSSB/T4i mount setup.

I don't think towing is on the top of the list of what a 7.3 should do when looking at 71mm+ comp inducer size turbos. My 2 cents for free.
im running a 72mm comp inducer turbo right now, and pulling is not a problem at all. Maybe thats just in the tuning, but it runs much better while towing in fact.

What would you suggest for a 200% nozzle looking for 550+ on fuel, towing is probably at the bottom of the list as it doesnt happen very often. And i dont want to spend for ball bearing.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
How did you like the hx55 with the 250/200's ? What hp?

I never got it on a dyno, but i didnt really like it honestly. Maybe the tuning wasnt correct but it seemed a little bit small. It sure spooled quickly and easily, but up top it choked pretty badly. back pressure was about 60psi at 43lbs of boost

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.