7.3 Turbo talk

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
What if a guy (me) doesn't want or need to tow hardly at all.
How big can you go with a single?

74/88 or 80/88 S400 would be the biggest single that you will be able to spool on the street. The 74/88 runs very well on 200% or 400% nozzles but the 80mm must have 400% to be able to light effectively. Our tranny builder drives a SCLB OBS w/ 400/400% and a 74/88 and is very impressive. He drives it 40-50 miles round trip to work every day without issue. I took it to the store this week and was very suprised at how easily the charger came on without much lag or smoke.

WIESEL

Reaction score
You could throw an HX82 on it if you want.... but I sure wouldn't want to drive it anywhere but at the pulling track. LOL

Ya Ya

LOLLOL

Seriously, what would work good for a super hot street truck?:shrug:

Nice thread croak! Awesome!

WIESEL

Reaction score
74/88 or 80/88 S400 would be the biggest single that you will be able to spool on the street. The 74/88 runs very well on 200% or 400% nozzles but the 80mm must have 400% to be able to light effectively. Our tranny builder drives a SCLB OBS w/ 400/400% and a 74/88 and is very impressive. He drives it 40-50 miles round trip to work every day without issue. I took it to the store this week and was very suprised at how easily the charger came on without much lag or smoke.

I was thinking maybe around 600/600.
Is that a bad idea?

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
600% are not by ANY means street friendly. The flow rate is sooooo fast they are difficult to control for daily driving. I would not recommend going any larger than a 400% on a street truck. You may be the exception to the rule but most people who have gone that large on a street truck always end up turning the truck into a competition only vehicle or going back to a smaller nozzle.

WIESEL

Reaction score
So 400% is the streetable limit for nozzles.
How bout cc s?
How would s471sx perform with that much fuel?

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
Our opinion is that 400% is the limit for street nozzles(without compounds). They could be 400-450cc's. The s471xs is a 71/88 and would work just fine with that much fuel.

Gotti2k7

Reaction score
I bought one of the first Turbonetic drop ins. Before they went to the BB flop. Honestly its been good to me. Got over 60k on it now. And seeing over 500rwhp now. Pretty sure it hates me now though. And dont know how much longer its gonna live. Running 235/200s, srp1 and Beans tunes. Its been fairly fun. But its getting to be that time. EGTs peg pretty easy in my all out tune. I can adjust when towing with the pedal. Its time to upgrade. Need something that will make her scoot down the track. But be able to tow some weight from time to time. I dont think im gonna go any bigger with the injectors. So this setup will prolly be the last.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Okay so your over my head lol im looking to hit 400hp maby alittle under im gonna be running an s366is that gonna be to much for my small stage 2s?... eventually I plan to go 238s but money was tight so I went with those...

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
The 66mm charger would do what you are looking for depending on what size turbine wheel you decide to run. Once you go to the 238's it will be a crispy little critter for sure.

Big Bore

Reaction score
There is obviously no way to compare and contrast an set of compounds built by DIY to a set built for someone to meet a set of goals. A DIY guy can always do something cheaper than a guy guaranteeing fit and function - the problem is that something may or may not be equivalent to what is being offered.

No argument there. However a guy showed up here in CO with compound setup using an ungated stock turbo fed by I believe a gt42 and layed down some pretty decent numbers on the dyno. Theres a thread here somewhere about it. There are obviously different levels of compounds, but what that guy did was pretty impressive. About like putting a tune on a 6.4 and getting 500rwhp. And this redneck compound setup didn't have a lot of money into it. A few more bucks to refine it and he's GTG, will outperform a truck running a single GT42 across the board and be able to tow at altitude. I think compounds are one of the ingredients to helping bring our motors up to the same level as newer motors and not have the use penalties you get with a single. Then, just like the 6.4, to get to the next stage of performance you have to upgrade your compounds. However I submit a guy can gate the shyt out of his stocker and run a GT45 in front of it to get to that next level. I'm just not sure what kind of penalty he would have towing at altitude.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
No argument there. However a guy showed up here in CO with compound setup using an ungated stock turbo fed by I believe a gt42 and layed down some pretty decent numbers on the dyno. Theres a thread here somewhere about it. There are obviously different levels of compounds, but what that guy did was pretty impressive. About like putting a tune on a 6.4 and getting 500rwhp. And this redneck compound setup didn't have a lot of money into it. A few more bucks to refine it and he's GTG, will outperform a truck running a single GT42 across the board and be able to tow at altitude. I think compounds are one of the ingredients to helping bring our motors up to the same level as newer motors and not have the use penalties you get with a single. Then, just like the 6.4, to get to the next stage of performance you have to upgrade your compounds. However I submit a guy can gate the shyt out of his stocker and run a GT45 in front of it to get to that next level. I'm just not sure what kind of penalty he would have towing at altitude.

I remember reading about it. It showed up at a dyno event and laid some decent power numbers for what it was - but that doesn't make it a setup that I would recommend to anyone - or even rave about. Its pretty easy for a common DIY guy to rave about something they have done and make it sound better than what it really is - I would love to take the truck for a spin, hook it to a trailer, etc... and see what its really doing because I have strong reservations about a stock unwastegated turbo as a high pressure turbo in a set of compounds on a 7.3 PSD - they just have too much history of failure on every other truck that I have known to do a similar setup. Hell I think Bean went through 3 or 4 turbos before he gave up on compounds using a stocker IIRC - and thats just one of the more well known setups I know of attempting to use a stock turbo.

At the end of the day - yes sir I could build a kit for a GT42 atmosphere compound kit using a stock turbo and very minimal parts and get it down under the 4K figure - and people would buy it because its compounds under 4K - but the moment I did - someone wouldn't be happy with the 400 or so ponies it laid down and go for say 550 and start to show all the flaws in the setup and the kit - and it would be all my fault at what a POS kit I developed and marketed. I just can't do that - if its not quality and tunable to fit the needs of the many - then its a waste of my time.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I remember reading about it. It showed up at a dyno event and laid some decent power numbers for what it was - but that doesn't make it a setup that I would recommend to anyone - or even rave about. Its pretty easy for a common DIY guy to rave about something they have done and make it sound better than what it really is - I would love to take the truck for a spin, hook it to a trailer, etc... and see what its really doing because I have strong reservations about a stock unwastegated turbo as a high pressure turbo in a set of compounds on a 7.3 PSD - they just have too much history of failure on every other truck that I have known to do a similar setup. Hell I think Bean went through 3 or 4 turbos before he gave up on compounds using a stocker IIRC - and thats just one of the more well known setups I know of attempting to use a stock turbo.

At the end of the day - yes sir I could build a kit for a GT42 atmosphere compound kit using a stock turbo and very minimal parts and get it down under the 4K figure - and people would buy it because its compounds under 4K - but the moment I did - someone wouldn't be happy with the 400 or so ponies it laid down and go for say 550 and start to show all the flaws in the setup and the kit - and it would be all my fault at what a POS kit I developed and marketed. I just can't do that - if its not quality and tunable to fit the needs of the many - then its a waste of my time.

I can't disagree with any of that, an ungated stocker is obviously NOT the way to go, and not what you would build for someone, it's a DIY. I was simply pointing it out as the bottom of the spectrum. Start moving up from there. A guy could easily upgrade from there using the 42 as his drive turbo. Maybe he gates the stocker, that gate would work later on when he grows. Just pointing out, theres a lot of level of compounds, for the DIY and the big money guy and in between. A gated stocker and a 42 would make a bitchin DD tow rig IMO. Whatever thats worth.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.