7.3 Turbo talk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
It should light super easy and run pretty damn well. I can't say that I have ever ran that exact combo thought - I would venture to say that a backpressure gauge would be a good thing - it might be pushing it at WOT conditions.

I have a back pressure gauge.

Any clue what that turbo should support HP wise!?

JDub

Reaction score
I have a back pressure gauge.

Any clue what that turbo should support HP wise!?

If it's using the K31 compressor wheel, it should flow around 1250-cfm, so it should be good for 550-600hp. The turbine side may hold it back some like HotRod said, drive pressure may be a bit high.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
If it's using the K31 compressor wheel, it should flow around 1250-cfm, so it should be good for 550-600hp. The turbine side may hold it back some like HotRod said, drive pressure may be a bit high.

No sure what the compressor wheel is, but it looks nasty! Its got some sweet design to it.

I was warned that it may surge a tiny little bit, but if back pressure is a problem im already ready to put a waste gate on it

JDub

Reaction score
No sure what the compressor wheel is, but it looks nasty! Its got some sweet design to it.

I was warned that it may surge a tiny little bit, but if back pressure is a problem im already ready to put a waste gate on it

Billet 72mm wheel? I'm sure it's the K31 compressor wheel.

JDub

Reaction score
Yeah that is what it is. So you think with 250/200's and big oil i should be 550+?

Hard to say with that turbine section, but it should flow enough cfm to make it... We won't use that large of a compressor wheel in the S300 frame due to durability and surge issues, but it may work okay for you.

Aljay

Reaction score
2 hours was probably an exageration, but the point i was making was its more difficult to do everyday jobs under the hood. IM sure some have figured out ways around it also

I built my engine back in 08 its now August of 2011 and I have yet to have to do anything to the truck except PMs.

juniort444e

Reaction score
I run a 4202 with 250/200 and love it. It seems laggy but heard thats because of my current tunes. Getting new ones soon and then i will make a more educated guess on the lag then. A gtx 4202 would work well with those injectors.

I would love to do a diy twin setup, with something like a gt40xx with a gt45 or gt47. still learning before i jump head first into that project.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Anyone running a HX40 on a 7.3? If so how do you like it?
I ran a hx55 with my 250/200 and honestly it wasnt enough, bottom end wasnt there and up top it was smokey.

GTS motorsports (geoff) runs an hx35 on his truck and does 450 on fuel and 800 on the bottle with it, so a 40 is pretty decent sized and probably wouldnt be a bad option for a daily driver.
Anxious to hear any updates or new info on the above....
Well its installed and running flawlessly at the moment. here are some install pics:
2011-08-11202637.jpg

2011-08-11202627.jpg

2011-08-11202956.jpg

2011-08-11202947.jpg

My impressions:
Well ive only driven it a couple days and im currently ONLY running economy tunes that are pulled back a little bit, so the fueling is definitely not there yet. But i can say this, it spools quicker and flows LOTS more than the HX. In fact it runs 100% clean on a tune that used to be pretty smokey (my economy tune). It is also dead quiet, i cant hardly ever hear it.
I will be dyno'ing the truck on saturday so you'll have some video and hear what it can actually put down. Highest ive seen with current tuning is 35psi

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
HotRod or someone thats a turbo wizard i got some questions....

Why cant a 72mm s300 running between 45-50psi, clear up 250/200s. I was told it flows 1350 cfm, it spools up great and pulls pretty strong. Back pressure is not an issue from what ive seen, stays under 60 on a 50psi run

But there is just flat out too much damn un burnt fuel, even in tunes that are pulled back. Ive tried 15-20 tunes and it seems like at WOT its still a black cloud and dyno'in less than it should!

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

Why cant a 72mm s300 running between 45-50psi, clear up 250/200s. I was told it flows 1350 cfm, it spools up great and pulls pretty strong. Back pressure is not an issue from what ive seen, stays under 60 on a 50psi run

But there is just flat out too much damn un burnt fuel, even in tunes that are pulled back. Ive tried 15-20 tunes and it seems like at WOT its still a black cloud and dyno'in less than it should!

You might be making 50psi of boost - but I bet that charger is out of its map - take a gander at the compressor map for it and see where you land - more than likely its just hot air and not good cold boost. The absolute BEST way to know for sure is to install a turbo tach and know exactly what RPM you are spinning it at. Personally - think the turbine wheel selection in an S300 is too small to do what your asking.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
You might be making 50psi of boost - but I bet that charger is out of its map - take a gander at the compressor map for it and see where you land - more than likely its just hot air and not good cold boost. The absolute BEST way to know for sure is to install a turbo tach and know exactly what RPM you are spinning it at. Personally - think the turbine wheel selection in an S300 is too small to do what your asking.

Okay well lets say im making 40psi and have it wastegated to keep it in its happy range, it still wont clean it up at lower boost levels.

You think its just flat out, plain and simple, not enough turbo?
What options does a guy have on a T4i mount for a turbo that will do what i need?

Id like 550+ on fuel, seems as though ive got everything in place to get there but its just not making it.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
also another thing, is the MAP going to be the same even though its been machined out to fit the 72mm billet wheel?

I could check out the specs of an s300, but not sure if it stays the same once you mess with wheel sizes and housing sizes

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

You're not going to clean up 200% tips in a race tune with anything on the T4i footprint unless you also have a turbo in a bottle - or - a second turbo in front of it.

Okay well lets say im making 40psi and have it wastegated to keep it in its happy range, it still wont clean it up at lower boost levels.

You think its just flat out, plain and simple, not enough turbo?
What options does a guy have on a T4i mount for a turbo that will do what i need?

Id like 550+ on fuel, seems as though ive got everything in place to get there but its just not making it.

It won't clean up at lower boost levels? You mean like it still smokes at cruise? At take off? That is either a tuning or an injector issue. Whose sticks are you running anyway? What is your HPO pressure look like when its smoking? How about some AE with ICP, duty cycle, PW, mass fuel desired, and boost for the times when its smoking?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.