7.3 Turbo talk

steele86

Reaction score
sounds really good. i looking to upgrade my stock turbo and ats housing to some thing bigger whats the best turbo for towing and performance

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
You're not going to clean up 200% tips in a race tune with anything on the T4i footprint unless you also have a turbo in a bottle - or - a second turbo in front of it.
Casserly sticks. Ive always wondered if i might have an issue, they only have like 5k miles on them though since they were brand new "remans". But what issues could cause extra smoke?

Okay so the T4i is sort of restricting it sounds like in the performance world, T4 is the best option then?

It won't clean up at lower boost levels? You mean like it still smokes at cruise? At take off? That is either a tuning or an injector issue. Whose sticks are you running anyway? What is your HPO pressure look like when its smoking? How about some AE with ICP, duty cycle, PW, mass fuel desired, and boost for the times when its smoking?

No it does perfectly fine daily driving, the tuning is pretty well dialed in for daily driver tunes. So low RPM's and cruising arent an issue.

Its just on the dyno and at the track it seems like ive got SOO much wasted power, maybe im wrong and maybe things are working pretty good, but it just seems like im missing out on something with all the wasted fuel!

I can get you data logs of all that under WOT when its really doing its best impression of a chain smoker

Jake P

Reaction score
One simple question id like to throw in here, how much can a 38R handle? I'm wanting to get to the 500 horse mark. What size injectors can it not kill itself with? Will it handle 238s? 250s?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
So a 4294 journal bearing, a s471, a KASB... those are a few turbos that ive got in mind for my next go around.
The nice thing about the KASB is i can bolt it to my current mount kit, the sucky thing is finding one used or cheap enough.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
D66 is a solid drop in turbo, with tuning advances its come a long way. Beans wont say its a good fit for small hybrids, but its been proven to work just fine at 500hp. Just know that your pushing it to its limits at that point so if it fails it fails, its a gamble. At 400-450 its probably the best turbo out there, and easiest to install.

38r is a very tough turbo as well, basically the same deal as the 66 but lots more reliable with being ball bearing. Seems like 500hp is the tipping point for it as well, although some have pushed it much beyond that. Back pressure becomes an issue unless you you gate it.

If your lookign to go with stage 1s or 2s id say throw a d66 on and be happy, no reason to swap to SD stuff.
If your looking for closer to 500hp id say look into a custom mount option from Irate, for under 2 thousand you could have a great s300 or something similar on your truck with brand new up pipes and what not. Its much more affordable and better set up for the power

smokedout250

Reaction score
As stroke said they are both great turbos! You need to figure out your goals and what injector you wanna run before deciding on a turbo.. I went with the s366 and the irate t4 mount for my stage 2s works great its not as budget freindly as the d66... but if you factor in the bellowed up pipes and swaping to the sd stuff you can come close to the same price as the 38r into the obs

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
thanks guys. im plannin on 238/100 hybrids sometime in the future when funds allow being in college and all. im shootin for as much as possible and still have it streetable and reliable.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Ok quick turbo question. Let's say if I were to run a set of 250/200s in my 2wd ecsb would a gt4202 light better then in a bigger 4wd? I figure since my truck is lighter it will be much easier to get going... Or am I looking at this all wrong?

V-Ref

Reaction score
IMO your thinking about this wrong.

Power<Boost<Compressor wheel RPM<Turbine wheel RPM<Exhaust Mass/Volume energy

So the short answer is no, a lighter truck will be harder to spool a larger "laggy-ier" turbo, because you won't generate the required exhaust mass/volume energy to spin the compressor/turbine wheel assembly.

You would in fact reach redline/shift points on your truck before full boost potential of the turbo was realized.

It's been proven time and time again that much more than a 71mm compressor inducer on the compressor wheel is the threshold on our old 7.3s, where the interia in the turbo rotating assembly mass start to cause compromises for DD or towing application.

Thuglike is one exception I can think of. Not sure how much towing his rig does.

Luke Cline has a GTX4202R/built motor/large nozzles....be interesting to see his results once his rig is up and running.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Thanks I figured I was wrong :doh: so a 4294 would be a better fit since its a smaller compressor wheel right? I believe its a 70.4 mm ....

V-Ref

Reaction score
SFIstrokin'

I wouldn't say you were "wrong" per say...but I do think you meant compressor wheel inducer in your post above when ref the 70.4mm dimension.

Some references I found most helpful-

1. Try to get a ride in as many trucks as you can that close resemble the setup your contemplating. There's nothing like seeing it first hand. Some information on some of the forums will have a certain element of brand/choice loyalty...and who can blame a fella wanting to feel proud about their multi thousand dollar investment. To help yourself vet through that, go see touch/hear/ride in as many setups as you can. This will put some of the information out there in perspective.

2. The Garrett Turbo tech 101, 102, 103, and Diesel Tech are great reads. Sit down with a pencil/paper and nug some of that out....a light bulb or two will come on, as will more questions.

3. This post here has most of the links....and another good one for starting to read turbine maps. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=98179#post98179

It would seem if the price tag didn't scare you off, the GTX4294R would be a perfect fit for your build based on all feedback/experiences of others on this forum. If you wanted more on top, and were willing to sacrifice some towing capability and "area under the curve" at lower rpms....then maybe a larger turbo....

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
V-ref,

Thank you again. I'll read up! I'm very new to the turbo game. Not really sure in which direction I want to go with the truck. One day its 250/200s one day its 238/100s.... Only time will tell as I have to make a decision soon :redspotdance:

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
V-ref,

Thank you again. I'll read up! I'm very new to the turbo game. Not really sure in which direction I want to go with the truck. One day its 250/200s one day its 238/100s.... Only time will tell as I have to make a decision soon :redspotdance:

If you are serious on a comp fun truck and are planning to dish out extra $ for a bigger turbo get the 250/200%. then save for the GTX4294. Plan on like 3100. for turbo and mount not counting the custum piping. PM me and I might be able to assist in showing you how it rides.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
I would like the 600hp bit when I'm going to have enough dough for the charger/trans/studs etc., That won't be for a while, probably a year or so. I was planning on a full trans build by December but a bad misfire popped up. So I need to choose a injector soon.

Latest posts

Members online