Another pmr bites the dust..

bluedge8

Reaction score
I hate to be the complete newbie but what years did the pmrs come in
This is a good question that should be asked if you aren't sure. If I remember right it is mid year 2000 and newer, and any engine can be checked but I forget how, someone else will chime in and say how.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
in my book, you definitely need to remove the discoloration, because it's oxidation....gaskets do NOT bond well to oxidation....
get it offa there, and get down to the bare metal....if you cannot do it with a block and emerycloth-sandpaper, or the surfacing pads,
send it out and get it surfaced, and hot tanked...

then you have clean DRY heads to lay back on your engine.

oh, and in over 40 years of monkey wrenchin' I never had a head leak that I put on.

To each there own. But i still say if your worried about taking every bit of discoloration off then you are taking some small amount of metal off. Do plenty of people do what you do yes does it work yes. I just don't think it's the best way to go about it. In my book if a head comes off it's going to the machine shop. As for the block if it's baby smooth and dry it's good to go.
If you want to use a die grinder this is the way to go imo.:)
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...0000_nid=GSQ2B13327gsRJ5GMFSMV0glGS2L6DWY97bl

bluedge8

Reaction score
I have used roloc's that were way to aggressive, unless you know exactly what you are doing, I'd stay away from power tools to clean up the surfaces.
I have read the switch to pmr's is a gray area but it looks like mid '01's and newer?

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I have used roloc's that were way to aggressive, unless you know exactly what you are doing, I'd stay away from power tools to clean up the surfaces.
I have read the switch to pmr's is a gray area but it looks like mid '01's and newer?

I've also heard from a guy that worked for ford for 8 Years, that some motors had some forged and some pmr, depending on what they had sitting on the shelf.... I call bs, theres never been a motor with a mix match...has there ?

sent while looking at a hole in my block

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Here is a perfectly prepped deck ready for gasket. If you take these stains out the block surface will be untrue... takes about an hour and 4 razor blades...
20130402_111706_zpseeea318d.jpg

IMO, 7.3 decks are nowhere near the amount of time it takes for a MLS style motor...

TyCorr

Reaction score
I've also heard from a guy that worked for ford for 8 Years, that some motors had some forged and some pmr, depending on what they had sitting on the shelf.... I call bs, theres never been a motor with a mix match...has there ?

There wouldnt be both. I have heard also that there are forged rod motors in the middle of runs that got the pmrs. To be clear, Im saying that they assembled x # of motors using pmrs and then there are 24 forged rods laying there so the assembler uses those, then back to cablooey rods again. I know this.happened simply because my 03, that according to records had pmrs, in fact had forged rods. I got lucky on both my superduty motors.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I thought the crank was different between the two? so there would be more to just whatever set of rods was laying there. Also at this point in time who says someone didn't rebuild a motor and upgrade to forged before someone else has looked at it, unless you are the original owner of said motor.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I thought the crank was different between the two? so there would be more to just whatever set of rods was laying there. Also at this point in time who says someone didn't rebuild a motor and upgrade to forged before someone else has looked at it, unless you are the original owner of said motor.

I'm pretty sure the cranks are the same... That's why everyone says if you just swap rods to get the original crank ballanced again

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Here is a perfectly prepped deck ready for gasket. If you take these stains out the block surface will be untrue... takes about an hour and 4 razor blades...
20130402_111706_zpseeea318d.jpg

IMO, 7.3 decks are nowhere near the amount of time it takes for a MLS style motor...

Thats exactly how it should look.:D

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
you want to know what the problem is with the guys that have 10,15,30,45 years experience in this business??? Their head swells... Cause I have had those guys tell me to just take a cookie wheel to the surface balls out and make the surface look shiny...

and like I said in all my prep posts... I cannot recommend a air powered tool to anyone, but I have used them in the past to my advantage... but now that I have tried the blade, nothing looks and feels that good...

bluedge8

Reaction score
you want to know what the problem is with the guys that have 10,15,30,45 years experience in this business??? Their head swells... Cause I have had those guys tell me to just take a cookie wheel to the surface balls out and make the surface look shiny...

and like I said in all my prep posts... I cannot recommend a air powered tool to anyone, but I have used them in the past to my advantage... but now that I have tried the blade, nothing looks and feels that good...
hmm, I have used razor blades for decades,,,, didn't like not having control over the power tool,

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score

Both of mine were purchased with a few miles. My 00 had 18. My 03 had 4300 iirc. Neither had rods replaced.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Both of mine were purchased with a few miles. My 00 had 18. My 03 had 4300 iirc. Neither had rods replaced.

very interesting, I've heard of similar oddities from Ford though, you should have played the lottery the day you found out you had forged in the '03 LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
very interesting, I've heard of similar oddities from Ford though, you should have played the lottery the day you found out you had forged in the '03 LOL

I found out because the thing ran like crap. We narrowed it down to rotella oil, grey cps, and what I would assume to be the factory programming. It probably would have been less annoying but I had a 00 that ran great. So there were chances daily to juxtapose the performance of the.two. Anyway, friend of mine worked for.ford and said I probably had a bent rod. So he removed the inspection hole and had a flashlight and then was like well those arent the problem.

The guy who bought it still runs it and its had stg 1s and an adrenaline since about a year or so after the exchange. He said it runs great, so perhaps the hpop was to blame.

I guess I should have bought a lottery ticket that day cuz all of them ive bought in the last three years have been a bust.

Latest posts

Members online