Another pmr bites the dust..

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
nope don't do it,... use sandpaper - emery cloth on a block, or a circular surfacing pad.

the wire wheel will deteriorate the edges of every machined surface.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Razor blades and some scotch bright by hand is how I do the 6leakers. You don't need to remove the discoloration. If you do you taking off a tiny amount of metal. The 3m disks do have there place tho.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Sorry to derail the derail, ( good info tho)
vu5erete.jpg
by oil filter. Matching hole passenger side. No obvious holes I. the block tho

sent while looking at a hole in my block

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
Razor blades and some scotch bright by hand is how I do the 6leakers. You don't need to remove the discoloration. If you do you taking off a tiny amount of metal. The 3m disks do have there place tho.

in my book, you definitely need to remove the discoloration, because it's oxidation....gaskets do NOT bond well to oxidation....
get it offa there, and get down to the bare metal....if you cannot do it with a block and emerycloth-sandpaper, or the surfacing pads,
send it out and get it surfaced, and hot tanked...

then you have clean DRY heads to lay back on your engine.

oh, and in over 40 years of monkey wrenchin' I never had a head leak that I put on.

Last edited:

David N

Reaction score
Oh this I know.... Coolant wouldn't be leaking out the oil pan if it wasn't. I'm just disappointed to not see a huge hole.

sent while looking at a hole in my block

Mine went the same way. Only a small hole about the size of a quarter knocked out of the block. The rest of it came out of the oil pan. I was wanting major carnage. LOL

MINK

Reaction score
You guys are all nuts for modding pmrs motors! After I blew my pmrs with just a tune in 2010 all I do is shake my head! Welcome to the club LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
You guys are all nuts for modding pmrs motors! After I blew my pmrs with just a tune in 2010 all I do is shake my head! Welcome to the club LOL

Is that your old truck.that got destroked in the new issue of diesel world? Looks like it. 04 harley.grill, 07hd lights, and ptm 99-04 front.bumper with the valance removed. Pretty specific combo of parts,lol.

Oh, and that box of 7.3 parts I bought from you came in handy.today. Used some of the.dipstick parts and the valvecover gaskets. Thanks man!

MINK

Reaction score
Is that your old truck.that got destroked in the new issue of diesel world? Looks like it. 04 harley.grill, 07hd lights, and ptm 99-04 front.bumper with the valance removed. Pretty specific combo of parts,lol.

Oh, and that box of 7.3 parts I bought from you came in handy.today. Used some of the.dipstick parts and the valvecover gaskets. Thanks man!

Yup that was my baby...it had a forged rod 7.3 in it when he bought it but he opted for the 6.7 after getting tired of his 7.3 mechanic.

Glad to hear you're putting the parts to use!

Tom S

Reaction score
Enjoying the discussion on cleaning head gasket surfaces. I think poor cleaning dooms a lot of automotive repairs.

DocBar

Reaction score
Enjoying the discussion on cleaning head gasket surfaces. I think poor cleaning dooms a lot of automotive repairs.
IMHO, you can't overstate the importance of cleanliness and having a good machine shop. I've seen a good machine shop eat the cost of a $15K build due to lack of checking the release rate of valve springs resulting in valve to head contact. I've also seen lack of clean mating surfaces kill motors of equal value.

This is one of the main reasons I'm an advocate of buying a built motor. Shops like Swamps and DI know the little tricks and take the extra steps to ensure a build will stay together. These are things the average DIY'er doesn't know. If you're going to invest $10K in bolt on parts, why would you skimp on the things that keep a motor together? That's like buying a $5k rifle and throwing a $50 scope on it. Just plain stupid.

Latest posts

Members online