Another T4 thread

mikeeg02

Reaction score
So, the SXE turbo's have no WG? That's fine I just thought they came with one, please confirm!

I think only one place makes a custom internal gate in a t4 for the sxe turbo. If you want it gated, most get it built into the up pipes. I know irate offers them.

There are a few places that offer an internally gated housing for them, but they are t3.

Already answered earlier.

superpsd

Reaction score
There is only one company as far as I am aware that produces a internal gated T4 turbine housing. You would have purchase the housing seperately then purchase the SuperCore SXE to match. That is if the gate even clears everything in a 7.3 T4 application. Pretty sure it was earlier in this long ass thread that mentions the gated T4 turbine housings.

Last edited:

TMCCOY

Reaction score
No worries, I have no interest in it if the turbo doesn't come with one. Apologies if I missed it in this thread-

The Brad

Reaction score
No worries, I have no interest in it if the turbo doesn't come with one. Apologies if I missed it in this thread-

Why would you want to gate a turbo that has a 1:1 ratio up to 40psi? A waste gate isn't needed unless you're overfueling a smaller turbo.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Or keep from overspeeding it. Lol! I remember reading about the company that has provisions for the internal WG. Something else to consider would be to implement the speed sensor. These turbos supposedly have provisions for one.

superpsd

Reaction score
They are setup for the speed sensor. Some basic machining or drilling? needs to be done to finish the cover to use the sensor.

The Brad

Reaction score
Or regulate the amount of boost.

Billy T.
[email protected]

While a wastegate will regulate boost, its primary functions are to limit drive pressure and shaft speed. Assuming those are in th green, why would you want less boost? My point was, the SXEs are so broad in their MAP that they don't need a wastegate for a majority of applications. If it's just boost you want to regulate, use a blow off valve.

ja_cain

Reaction score
While a wastegate will regulate boost, its primary functions are to limit drive pressure and shaft speed. Assuming those are in th green, why would you want less boost? My point was, the SXEs are so broad in their MAP that they don't need a wastegate for a majority of applications. If it's just boost you want to regulate, use a blow off valve.

I might be a wrong, but that might not help with shaft speed. I would think limiting things on the drive side would control the boost and limit the shaft speed at the same time. Then you keep it in the meat of the map.

Last edited:

The Brad

Reaction score
You're right, blow off valve won't limit shaft speed. That's why I said: assuming the shaft speed and drive pressure are in the green. I'm not condemning the use of a wastegate, my comment was in response to TMCCOY not being interested in a turbo that outperforms the 38r because it doesn't come gated. A gate is not needed for an appropriately matched SXE. If you want to drag race a 364 with 250/200s, then I would gate it, but I would rather just use a 369.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Ymy comment was in response to TMCCOY not being interested in a turbo that outperforms the 38r because it doesn't come gated.

To clarify, I meant I am not interested in a WG if it doesn't come with the turbo. I absolutely am interested in upgrading to the 364.5 SXE!

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Just curious how many guys are running a mechanical drive pressure gauge? And seeing what the turbo actual does.

Most guys don't realize that the 7.3 and 6.0 ebp sensor only reads up to 40psi... 54 absolute. So it always looks like it runs 1:1 because no one can read higher than 40psi So I have not seen much data from guys running an actual drive pressure gauge gauge.

I have done a TON of testing on the 6.0 and the results were pretty surprising. With a 364.5 74/.91 you can throw that 1:1 ratio out the window once you get up around 2900rpms. By 4000rpms it runs about 2:1 with 38psi of boost and 75psi of EBP (it reads higher on the street than the dyno)

It is a little applies and oranges because the 6.0 spins higher rpms, but also has much less displacement. The other factor is the 6.0 guys run smaller housings. They love the .91 t4 housings.

But my question still stands. Does anyone monitor these turbos on a 7.3 using an actual drive pressure gauge and have any data?

Here is a video for anyone interested. This was a 6.0 running 205s with the 364.5 on the dyno. Made around 630hp. Check out the gauge in the bottom left corner. Boost is green and EBP is red

https://youtu.be/34CkE5DCluc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CkE5DCluc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

samgoto96

Reaction score
Getting ready to put an exhaust back pressure gauge on my compound 7.3 set up in the next couple days hopefully. Up to 40 PSI right now I am seeing a 1:1 Ratio or awful close. So far I have seen 87 PSI out of the high pressure turbo and 46 PSI on the atmosphere.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Swaan

Reaction score
I had 2 liquid filled quages hooked up for testing in my truck.
Running a 364.5 with the smaller 68mm turbine and a 1.00 at t4 housing. It would be 1.1 up to about 35psi then climb. By 42 psi back pressure was about 55 psi..

So if a guy ran the bigger 74mm turbine like on the sxe series it would flow better. That's about 440 rwhp.

What I always wanted to do was run a .83 wastegated t4 housing on that turbo for even better spool up and set the gate at 35psi to start bleeding pressure. Best of both worlds. That's the beauty of a wg on a turbo. Awesome spool and still flow on the top end.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
I want to say tighter gated housings are going to show less top end performance than a looser non gated. You bleeding off energy that the turbine needs. Without testing I could be wrong but I do believe it's been tested hence why high hp ends run loose larger housings. There is always going to be a trade off to some degree.

I can drastically change how my turbo spools with making only SOI changes. Which is still a balancing act. Advanced SOI=equals increased CP lower EGT which hurts spool up. Retarded SOI lowers CP and increases EGTs to put heat energy into the turbine and lighting the turbo.

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
Yes i agree. In an all out race applications the loose non gated would flow better. But for daily driving situations the gated will have huge drivabillity points .

Timing has a huge effect on turbo behaviour. Nothing new here. Advancing tends to lower egts ,boost and spool.
Regarding does the opposite. Happiness is somewhere in between.Lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.