Big Oil and Big fuel not so big..

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
hey guys, your all going to start to hate this thing but I have some more info as of this morning.

I took the chip out for the first time basically since I got it, about...3 months now id say. Ive always left the USB cable plugged in and tucked away behind the kick panel for quick access as I was constantly getting test tunes from matt to try and get this dialed in.

Truck started right up, chugged for a second like air in the lines and snapped out of it. great idol, quick response and clean accel. I drove about 9 miles which is my route to work and it was great. Seemed to have the exact same amount of power with out the chip VS with the chip. appears the same amount of smoke and cleans up pretty quick once the turbo lights. The truck builds pressure quickly and is VERY torquey now with slight haze until a few pounds are built up for boost.

Truck did not buck until it was at FULL operating temperature, it was a subtle buck and not as hard(or consistent) as im used to with the chip.

I know you guys are going to say I need a scanner, which I will have the scan gauge tool as per above(THANK YOU!!) to start with and my buddy will run a contribution test on his snap on scanner for me hopfully today. But what im thinking is if this is an injector issue, will the higher pressures of HPO with programming bring out my issues like im now having and the lower pressures of stock programming hide what's really going? this is a ton to ask for with out data though. ill report back today if I can get that contribution test done.

Reaction score
hey guys, your all going to start to hate this thing but I have some more info as of this morning.

I took the chip out for the first time basically since I got it, about...3 months now id say. Ive always left the USB cable plugged in and tucked away behind the kick panel for quick access as I was constantly getting test tunes from matt to try and get this dialed in.

Truck started right up, chugged for a second like air in the lines and snapped out of it. great idol, quick response and clean accel. I drove about 9 miles which is my route to work and it was great. Seemed to have the exact same amount of power with out the chip VS with the chip. appears the same amount of smoke and cleans up pretty quick once the turbo lights. The truck builds pressure quickly and is VERY torquey now with slight haze until a few pounds are built up for boost.

Truck did not buck until it was at FULL operating temperature, it was a subtle buck and not as hard(or consistent) as im used to with the chip.

I know you guys are going to say I need a scanner, which I will have the scan gauge tool as per above(THANK YOU!!) to start with and my buddy will run a contribution test on his snap on scanner for me hopfully today. But what im thinking is if this is an injector issue, will the higher pressures of HPO with programming bring out my issues like im now having and the lower pressures of stock programming hide what's really going? this is a ton to ask for with out data though. ill report back today if I can get that contribution test done.

I've worked on a truck that acted stupid at high ICP before. That truck just had stage 2's. On a tune that commanded 3000psi, it would stumble at high ICP and part throttle. Floor it and ICP would drop to around 2800 and it cleared up and ran hard. Put it on a stock tune that commanded 2800psi and it never stumbled. Ran smooth all the time. I had the tuner command ICP similar to stock to correct the problem. I assume that it was floating the poppets or something.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Travis if you remember a while back when I had my 2s where it was bucking at WOT is when I actually had high pressure fuel bleed off so I can relate to the stumbling but this thing is a different animal with no programing. Ill be damnned if its a bad chip or computer AGAIN. ill just have to get the scanners on there and see what's going on before I start saying what's doing what.

boggerr

Reaction score
I would throw the chip back in, see if the problem comes back. Maybe just a bad connection between the chip and pcm.

When did this problem come about? After injectors, tunes, etc. etc.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I would throw the chip back in, see if the problem comes back. Maybe just a bad connection between the chip and pcm.

bingo, I was thinking the same thing on the crappy connection

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score

This all started when I got the motor put back together late April. I Put a new set of heads on it, the injectors, HPX line, gaskets/seals blah blah. The motor fired right up and idled and drove great but had this buck I've been trying to explain. after a series of reburns and test files I decided to purchase big oil to try and fix it. All my connections are solid, I've been over everything many of times and starting to think its an injector issue or a bad chip. Hydra chip was installed after I got the truck running

You can hear the truck changing when switching tunes but there ZERO power difference in all of my tunes including the PHP tune. I thought it was all related to the T500 not supplying enough oil which wouldn't be the first time ive heard of it, but not I have the oil to supply the demand its sending me a different direction.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Hey fellas I just wanted to ask a few questions regarding to scan the truck. Today whether I received the scan gauge today or not ill have a snap on scanner to run some tests or well. With both tools what kind of data do you guys want me to pull or show?
any info I can get to you guys I think will put me in the right direction. I have not used a scan gauge yet

Wackerjr

Reaction score
Start by putting a LPOP gauge on it.... I have a feeling you may be having a LPOP issue....

bad12jr

Reaction score
ICP, IPR Dc, TPS , RPM. I think you can only do four at a time on the scan gauge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
ok got it, ill report back. Ill see if I can dig up a mechanical guage but this was a brand new melling Lpop from riffraff when I put the motor back in.

mandkole

Reaction score
If this the aeroforce gauge, you should be able to select more than 4 for monitoring. I have at least 6 on mine right now. The 4 recommended are good ones. You can also separately run a buzz and a contribution test as well as clear codes. Look at those also.

IMO, do your first monitor with DC% and ICP PSI. You can see both at the same time and it will help you understand how the pump is working.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
alright boys i have a little info. i drove around for awhile with out the chip and got some numbers, seams to be pretty similar as with the chip actually.
ICP: idles ~650 drives around roughly 1100-1500 max 3200ish
Ipr: around 10% at idle, 14~ driving max 37.3ish
TPS: would not register
Boost: did not push it but i saw 30psi and i could have gone much more.

Power difference now, drove 2 days with out chip because bucking is a pain and NO chip its smooth/more smooth. put it in kill mode and WOW it has some power now! seems like theres more to push though as smoke really isnt that bad.

Changes for the day: tried another map sensor, lowered fuel pressure to 60psi and believe it or not i think that made a difference.

Truck still bucks like a mofo when hot, whats alarming is i saw a high of 228oil temp and 227coolant got down to around 215 on both when i just parked it out side and its around 70 dgrees out. autozone Stant thermostat tahts about 6 months old if that.

Heres a few videos and how it runs just driving with the buck ive been mentioning and a street tune witih about 3/4 throttle. Im going to need to drive around in 4 wheel at this rate, my poor new tires dont like me any more.

you can hear how chuggy it is pulling out in this vid. It runs like this in ANY tune besides my 8th position tune wich is matts test tune 80 nozzle profile. has lower ICP when driving around, like below 1000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqNw5ZR-0Yk

this is the chug at its worst until you throttle past it with jsut a little throttle. enough to hit around 1500ICP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmuihKpFISM

This is any other tune just driving, around 900-1000ICP 13-15% ish DC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etJjgHJhDAE

this is the 8th position test tune just driving. you can hear the difference in the motor. just driving, it has aroudn 700ICP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNKwJDZRLVY

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
all tunes besides 8 are deffinitly chugging/missing. 8th position tune which has low ICP is MUCH smoother but still bucks a little. Im going to meet my buddy in about 10 minutes actually to do the buzz and contrabution test becuase i didnt see it on this tool you lent me. this guage is awesome though thank you so much. ill probably purchse it

02BigD

Reaction score
It's on there to do a buzz test. Open up the menu. You are more than welcome. Many, many people have helped me here, its a pleasure and honor to be able to return the kindness that others have shown.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.