Big Oil and Big fuel not so big..

bad12jr

Reaction score
It honestly sounds like air intrusion. Maybe a cracked pickup tube?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
im running motorcraft filters, and theres around 500 ish miles on this oil change. Fuel filters are a Pre - 100 micron or something and post is a 10 I think. CARQUEST brand

is that carquest oil too?

In matts test tune ive been using(8th position ive mentioned) AND with out the chip it runs just fine until normal operating temp. there's very slight bucks or hiccups inbetween but wouldn't really notice.

when you flip to a different tune and do a cct, do the same cylinders fault? or bounce around?

live life full throttle

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
I have the scan gauge setting for BP and it reads 53 tapped out so that's another thing I can try. its been pouring the last 2 days so I haven't been able to swap parts but ill be doing this tomorrow some time.

I use Delo 400 oil from wally world because its dirt cheap LOL anywhere else its 18$ a gallon, I swapped from rotella T6 synthetic and the truck just like its better.

You know...I ran 2 contribution tests, one with the scan gauge and 1 with the snap on scanner...I didn't even think of running another on a different tune. uhg, I can run one when I get home after work and when its up to temp and ill report back.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Ok so a little update

getting real sick of the way its running. swapped IDM, map, icp, Exhaust back pressure. nothing.

Unplugged every sensor under the hood, started awfully weird but to be expected. still had my skip.

If everything was unplugged you'd think the factory parameters would change atleast something, but not the case. Im leaning towards my injectors now, thinking ill pull them tonight and send them to full force for a look over. Everything I scan points towards a healthy truck. No codes on the truck now that I replaced the exhaust sensor..

02BigD

Reaction score
Have you pulled the wires off one at a time and seen if there is a change in the way the truck is idling? Maybe it was already mentioned, but do you have a good post fuel pump filter?

Strokersace

Reaction score
Have you pulled the wires off one at a time and seen if there is a change in the way the truck is idling? Maybe it was already mentioned, but do you have a good post fuel pump filter?

^^^ WHS. Also have you pulled the valve covers and started it up, then inspect if oil is squirting out of each injector? Also while idling unplug each injector individually to see if anything changes.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
well ill making double sure that there is oil squirting out when I go to pull this thing apart when I get home after work. Ive been driving the truck like this since early may so I know they are all firing. just not correctly on the correct tunes for the truck. At witts end with this thing, its not even fun to drive it anymore unless your smashing the throttle and im not a fan of wailing on my poor truck much.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
oil was indeed coming out of each injector last night, I pull the injectors and they are off back to full force to see if they can find anything. I ran 3 more contribution tests, consistenly pulled up 1, 7 and 8 but each tune was a different cylinder, matts was 7 and 8, PHP was 1 and 8 and stock was just 1 I think it was. the last 2 seemed to sound a little different and didn't smoke as much. the middle of the test the cylinders would roll smoke pretty good

Strokersace

Reaction score
oil was indeed coming out of each injector last night, I pull the injectors and they are off back to full force to see if they can find anything. I ran 3 more contribution tests, consistenly pulled up 1, 7 and 8 but each tune was a different cylinder, matts was 7 and 8, PHP was 1 and 8 and stock was just 1 I think it was. the last 2 seemed to sound a little different and didn't smoke as much. the middle of the test the cylinders would roll smoke pretty good

Did you unplug the wire connector from each injector 1 at a time to see if anything changed??? Or did you just pull the injectors?

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
no I didn't feel the need to, it idols just great. sometimes it gets a little lumpy but it will eventually smooth out. its just revving or acceling it will get the skip/miss/buck is when you notice it. I sure know what a down cylinder sounds like/ idoling/reving/driving and its sure not the case here.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
let me rephrase that, in my test tune that makes the truck the most drivable; the idol can be a little erratic and rev up or skip here and there. my tunes that are made for the truck but are not drivable or very fun to drive in as DD use make the truck idol fantastic(as much as an OBS with 200 nozzles will I suppose)

Strokersace

Reaction score
no I didn't feel the need to, it idols just great. sometimes it gets a little lumpy but it will eventually smooth out. its just revving or acceling it will get the skip/miss/buck is when you notice it. I sure know what a down cylinder sounds like/ idoling/reving/driving and its sure not the case here.

To each their own. Your truck your time. I know if it was me on top of my motor with the vc's off and idling, I'd take the 3 minutes to check each individual injector. Regardless that I KNOW what a dead cylinder sounds like or not. Hope you get it figured out.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
what does the cct show whith the chip removed.. sounds more and more like a bad connection with chip or other electrical. did you wiggle all connections from the pcm to the injectors while it was running?

live life full throttle

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
To each their own. Your truck your time. I know if it was me on top of my motor with the vc's off and idling, I'd take the 3 minutes to check each individual injector. Regardless that I KNOW what a dead cylinder sounds like or not. Hope you get it figured out.

Im not trying to shoot down any of your ideas, what I was getting at was if I started unplugging any injectors then it would have created a miss at idol obviously. I don't have a miss at idol so I would have no way of narrowing it down a single injector. With the skip when driving I couldn't say if its just a bad injector a couple, its just a buck like the motor is trying to cut back on fuel is from what I gathered.

I agree it almost seems to be a programming connection issue, I have messed and wiggled with every connector and wire and haven't gotten the slightest glimmer of hope from my efforts. that's why I have decided to try the injectors.

Latest posts

Members online