Big Oil and Big fuel not so big..

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Did a contribution test, scan gauge said cylinder 1 and cylinder 8. Snap on tool said cylinder 7 and cylinder 8. Now if I remeber correctly a cam position sensor will usually say you have a cylinder fault with these cylinders?

Also we found out my barometer sensor is not reading correctly, would that effect the way it has been running??

Buzz test passed

2000wa250

Reaction score
Barometer will definitely mess some things up. Its not talked about much, but if the pcm thinks its at higher elevation than it is, it will switch into an entire different set of maps. If those maps haven't been changed, or have been changed but not as much as sea level ones, it will cause issues.

Vice versa, if the maps are tuned for higher altitude (thinner air) but you're not there, the truck will respond much differently. Simple matter of physics. Wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing some issues with these sensors as the trucks get older. Oh and I believe it is incorporated into the pcm, so only fix is a new pcm.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

boggerr

Reaction score
Still hearing what sounds like a miss. What cam sensor do you have? The gray one will screw with you, either it throws off 1 and 8 or 2 and 8 can't remember which one.

How did you watch coolant Temp, does the OBS have a sensor? If your coolant Temp is that high I would honestly figure that out first.
Do you know anybody that you can borrow a PCM from? Try that and see if your Baro reading comes back to normal.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
I have the dark grey international cps that's pretty new. I checked the oil and coolant temps with the scan gauge that was sent to me. The other gets pretty toast but I didn't think it was that high. I'd I've to get an infrared laser on it and check the temps.

But I agree with the baro, the truck doesn't seem to really take off until she's full steam ahead. You can see the lag time above in the street tune video.

Wackerjr

Reaction score
Hey Mikey!

FWIW... IMO from what I am hearing in the vids... and your numbers HPO is fine and pumps are pumping...

you got a Injector issue, a Tuning issue, or electrical issue...

Get that Baro reading correctly if it is truly off.... Timing will make a BIG difference in the way a psd sounds...

then when you buzz the injectors listen with your head between the valve covers, make sure it is ONLY buzzing ONE side....

Failing the cylinders your failing aint that big of deal with the cam sensor issue anymore....

your 100% sure ALL injector wires are connected?? under the valve covers...

Wackerjr

Reaction score
I have the dark grey international cps that's pretty new. I checked the oil and coolant temps with the scan gauge that was sent to me. The other gets pretty toast but I didn't think it was that high. I'd I've to get an infrared laser on it and check the temps.

But I agree with the baro, the truck doesn't seem to really take off until she's full steam ahead. You can see the lag time above in the street tune video.

coolant sensor is not correct on a scan guage of anykind... the sensor is for the idiot guage only...

Where you dumping your IPR on the pumps?

boggerr

Reaction score
Failing the cylinders your failing aint that big of deal with the cam sensor issue anymore.... /QUOTE]

coolant sensor is not correct on a scan guage of anykind... the sensor is for the idiot guage only...

Is that gray cam sensor problem gone now? I worked on one that a miss, turned out to be the gray cam sensor but that was a few years ago.

Thought that about the Temp but wasn't sure on the OBS.

Agree with Wacker, HPO looks good. You need to start looking else where.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
I have a few temp sensors according to the scan gauge but i'm starting to doubt there accuracy. on a 15 minute ride to work I was already over 207 coolant and 195 oil on a 60degree morning.

Buzz test sounded great, all sounded the same and none weaker than the other. P1111 code which is a pass.

I replaced my baro sensor with my little brothers from his truck, zero change in the trucks tude.

My IPR dumps back to the res on the termy set up.

Reaction score

I thought it was always a difference between auto and manual trans PCMs or something whether the coolant temp would be close on a scanner.. It's always seemed like the coolant reading on mine has been pretty close. When I had the 203* t-stat, I would start feeling pressure in the upper radiator hose when the scan gauge read 200-202*.. Now with the 180 t-stat I start feeling pressure in the upper hose around 178-180* coolant temp on the SG.. Coolant temp always stays within 5-7* of oil temp. Not saying that it's a replacement for a real temp gauge, just seems to be close on mine for some reason.

Last edited:

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
maybe I will try a cooler Tstat, I do not want my oil temps getting that high IF the temp reading is correct.

Today I think ill try my little bros IDM on his 97 and see if that helps. other than that I really don't know what else to try besides sending out the injectors to full force and see if they can find something.

Only thing I noticed is when we were done running the contribution test, the truck was super smooth and free revving until after about 5 minutes of idling it returned to being chuggy again. Leading me towards HPO/Bad poppet

boggerr

Reaction score
If your little Bro's truck has a black CPS try swapping it out real quick, knock that out of the equation.
Is it still running ok with the chip out?

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
I currently have the chip in but it runs great, smooth and snappy but that's stock programming with huge nozzles I suppose. it runs great until it gets up to full temp. It will buck but not as bad as when I have the chip in when up to full temp.

ill check on the CPS, I still have my old CPS in the glove box

bad12jr

Reaction score
Just $h!t$ and giggles. What kind of oil and filter are you running

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
im running motorcraft filters, and theres around 500 ish miles on this oil change. Fuel filters are a Pre - 100 micron or something and post is a 10 I think. CARQUEST brand

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
In matts test tune ive been using(8th position ive mentioned) AND with out the chip it runs just fine until normal operating temp. there's very slight bucks or hiccups inbetween but wouldn't really notice.

Latest posts

Members online