Big Oil and Big fuel not so big..

Reaction score
let me rephrase that, in my test tune that makes the truck the most drivable; the idol can be a little erratic and rev up or skip here and there. my tunes that are made for the truck but are not drivable or very fun to drive in as DD use make the truck idol fantastic(as much as an OBS with 200 nozzles will I suppose)

Ok so the truck will IDLE great in some tunes, but other tunes IDLE erratic.. Some tunes miss less than others while driving.. I still want to say it's a HPO issue, probably in the injectors, but there wasn't enough testing done to know anything..

A little hint when you're testing one of these things.. Diagnose until you find the problem, then spend money to fix the problem. There's no sense in assuming what the problem might be, spend money to fix what you think is wrong, then it ends up that wasn't the problem and you're right back where you started.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Travis, tunes 1-6 are gear head. idol great drives terrible. tune 7 is PHP daily, idols almost as good still drives terrible. 1-7 all drive terrible. Tune 8(test tune from matt) idols great until warm and can be erratic at time but drives the best so it out weighs the idol. Final tune position 9 is gearhead for the dual pumps, drives terrible as well idols just as good.

Full force offered to flow the injectors for free and let me know if anything is wrong so I figured id take them up on it while they are still fresh out of the shop.

Ive been diaging for 3 months now, Im getting pretty fed up with the truck lol

bad12jr

Reaction score
I assume they were fresh o rings on the sticks? Just trying to rule everything out. Have you ever pulled the hpo rail drain plugs. Maybe one is leaking when warm?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
They were fresh rebuilds from full force so yeah your right all new orings. I was hoping to find a bad oring when I pulled them out.

Southmike

Reaction score
It used to be he said pull it.. some guys found it still helped.
Others found it better to add a line and return the oil elsewhere.
As long as it is not leaking or letting air in the hpx line should not hurt.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
So I just wanted to give you guys a little update here. a week and a half later I have my injectors back from full force and they really helped me out. Turned out there were 3 injectors that were over fueling at idol which really got my hopes up.

Got the truck running after a few minutes of cranking like the usual in a 7.3. it seamed to idol awesome and rev up great. 2 days later of driving and fingers crossed and its stilllllll bucking. not as bad I guess but its still bucking...I just cant win with this truck :( I guess ill have to test for compression now and start looking at hard parts.

DocBar

Reaction score
So I just wanted to give you guys a little update here. a week and a half later I have my injectors back from full force and they really helped me out. Turned out there were 3 injectors that were over fueling at idol which really got my hopes up.

Got the truck running after a few minutes of cranking like the usual in a 7.3. it seamed to idol awesome and rev up great. 2 days later of driving and fingers crossed and its stilllllll bucking. not as bad I guess but its still bucking...I just cant win with this truck :( I guess ill have to test for compression now and start looking at hard parts.
I haven't read this whole thread, but checking/changing your TPS was mentioned early on. That's a quick & easy check/fix. My truck bucked just like you're describing when it went out. It would also take off like a :demon: or fall flat on it's face. Sometimes it would do both consecutively.

As others have said, diagnostics and data logging are your best bet for solving this. Good luck with it.

02BigD

Reaction score
Iirc, you are working with several tuners, have you called and discussed this with all of them? Tuning is key with these 7.3's. A member here used to have a Diablo tuner on his truck, that truck would surge the turbo every which way but right. Put a chip from Gearhead in, and it rarely (or rather normally) surged again and truck put better power down.

That was a clear take note moment in my experiences with these trucks.

I also vote for replacing the TPS with a known good one.

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
I haven't seen this problem before with such a straightforward combo..... something is amiss somewhere.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards my new machined heads Matt, weather It is or isn't I just bought a new low mile motor to put in there. I'll have it in next weekend as a fresh start. It's been popping threw the exhaust and sounds funny at WOT now..

V-Ref

Reaction score
I'd offer access to a injector break out box, and a Bluetooth OBD-II dongle...that with the Android Torque app...can make catching your truck "in the act"...and the ability to monitor PIDs...a great resource in trouble shooting.

Just drop a PM if/when you decide.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
You have a break out box? When I put this new motor in and if it still bucks I'll cry lol I will certainly ask for help then I think.

I do have the android torque pro app just haven't gotten around to buying a the blue tooth obd transmitter yet. I plan on having the new motor in this coming weekend and will keep you all updated.
Again the help is very much appreciated.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
alright guys, I got the new motor in and what a project that ended up turning out to be! I've only got a few miles on the motor (132k total) so its to early to say how it runs as there's a ton of air in it still. seams to start and run/idol great so far. ill report back tonight with a few more miles on it

Latest posts

Members online