coolant leaking from head stud nut

Jomax

Reaction score
160/100's with fresh stock headgaskets and arp studs?

FWIW, we wouldn't warranty HG failure with 100% nozzles...not on a fresh build.

stock gaskets even with studs on a newly rebuilt engine are not reliable above 35psi.

take a 100k mile engine, do studs one at a time (bolt out, stud in, etc.) and it'll hold 60psi easily.

my guess is that you did pop a HG..and the coolant is seeping over to the threads.

you'll have the same issue(s) with another set of stock gaskets unless you drive it like a pansy for 10k miles, then do a hot retorque. (not advising it, as we don't install/run ARP's for head studs..not sure what the protocol is for those fasteners)

The fresh gaskets just have zero mechanical bond with the block/head...no heating/cooling cycles to get adhesion...

just my opinion.
How would one make it reliable above 35psi with virgin HGs? I'll be honest, it's the first time I've heard of this!

David N

Reaction score
I know for a fact Brian Jelich didn't drive 10,000 miles after he rebuilt the motor in the race truck.

So there are ways around it. LOL

TARM

Reaction score
I know for a fact Brian Jelich didn't drive 10,000 miles after he rebuilt the motor in the race truck.

So there are ways around it. LOL

Fire ring would be the answer there and the added machining, gasket and their cost that come with it.

To me if I was having my engine rebuilt and I was going with perf setup ( something over say a 38R) to me I could not see not having fire ring added to the list of things done.

But there are plenty of people that beat the crap out of there new rebuilds with OEM gaskets that did not have an issue (not speaking of compound setups) and they held. But you take your chances and to warranty something means you have very good odds backed up by good data that the risk is minimal. So there's a difference.

I am not expert but would a HG show pushed out on the side like Jake says his looks like in that pic if it was blow from pressure as opposed from incorrect install or issue with the gasket itself prior to it?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
is what I would like to know is if I did pop a gasket, why doesnt it blow out all over? it just drips. even at 10psi of pressure buildup in the coolant system.....

live life full throttle

swinky

Reaction score
Sounds like somehow the gasket is only hurt between the jacket and stud. If it was bad towards a cylinder it would leak into the cylinder and have some smoke on startup I would think.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Sounds like somehow the gasket is only hurt between the jacket and stud. If it was bad towards a cylinder it would leak into the cylinder and have some smoke on startup I would think.
it always has smoke on startup. ever since ive owned it

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If it's sharing cylinder pressure it would be way worse at wide open. I'd let it ride man.
it cant be.. its never blown coolant anywhere. not out the gasket or out the cap. just drips out of the top of the nut on the stud.. my coolant pressure gauge has never been above 10psi.. and I haven't ever seen a spike in pressure either.

live life full throttle

swinky

Reaction score
Not worth a tear down imo. People can say what they want about a "proper" fix but if some sealant fixes it what makes a new gasket anymore proper? If it works it works, it's not like you can see it or you're having over heating issues.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Not worth a tear down imo. People can say what they want about a "proper" fix but if some sealant fixes it what makes a new gasket anymore proper? If it works it works, it's not like you can see it or you're having over heating issues.
still have some other issues that need to be checked out.

live life full throttle

TARM

Reaction score
for the record, I, like most everyone on here with a 6 position chip, have a stock tune. AND I can adjust my waste gate from 28ish to 38ish psi, even in my hot tune.so that wont be a problem.

live life full throttle

That is my point. How hard is it to just have a turned down tune and or if you have it the wg set to open to keep boost @ 20 something psi.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That is my point. How hard is it to just have a turned down tune and or if you have it the wg set to open to keep boost @ 20 something psi.
its not at all. my problem is that I dont know anyone that puts on 10k miles in a years time except myself. it no longer see's dd duty. or even road driven. trailer queen now...

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
its not at all. my problem is that I dont know anyone that puts on 10k miles in a years time except myself. it no longer see's dd duty. or even road driven. trailer queen now...

live life full throttle

Park that bouncy sumbitsh and put big booty back on the road!

psduser1

Reaction score

live life full throttle

I'll put some miles on it for you.
Oh wait, you want to keep boost low?:poke::thumbsup:

TARM

Reaction score
Yep I am sure there are plenty teens in your area that would be more than happy to heat cycle that engine real good for ya. LOL

Stroked777

Reaction score
Chock the wheels, put it on jack stands and set cruise at 100 and have a 1000gal tank of diesel next to it that's have a pump plumbed into your fuel system. Problem solved

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.