question/tips/tricks/advice/how to thread

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Dam! Never regens? You must tow some heavy chit... only thing ive towed so far is my fifth wheel and thats around 12k and tall as hell. Regens every 600 or so with that... I wasnt towing anything on this trip. Just thought it was odd.

live life full throttle

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I think it senses when the filter is getting full. I know that when I am towing it never regens and I use more DEF.

It has a differential pressure senor that picks up by two lines pre and post and adds that into a calculated load percentage by utilizing it's measured calculation of fuel usage/rpm/Ect Ect.

Regent occur much more often then what you realize also. Only the major full on regeneration is displayed on the dash. There is a passive regeneration as well that you don't see. This was very true with cummins engineers. You would actually think your truck went into regeneration once a month when in fact it was a little here and there the whole time.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It has a differential pressure senor that picks up by two lines pre and post and adds that into a calculated load percentage by utilizing it's measured calculation of fuel usage/rpm/Ect Ect.

Regent occur much more often then what you realize also. Only the major full on regeneration is displayed on the dash. There is a passive regeneration as well that you don't see. This was very true with cummins engineers. You would actually think your truck went into regeneration once a month when in fact it was a little here and there the whole time.

Oh ok.... either way, I havnt seen the message pop up on my display like I normally would.

live life full throttle

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Mine has been regen-ing every 500 miles or so. Haven't towed since grass cutting is over for the season. Will be towing the quad around for plowing duties as soon as it snows here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Is that why you see less regens on the screen when running DPF on tuning?

My "guess" is the difference on tune has alternated the parameters for the span of the deltaP sensor.

To explain why towing has less regens:

Platinum and palladium operate and function starting at or very close to 650*F. And much better at 1000. However they start to deteriorate at 1300+

OBVIOUSLY TOWING YOUR EGT's are higher and probably in the 800*F range. And not towing in the 500*F+ range. The reason for more burnouts needed.

Ashing is a problem with diesel or NG engines below 650*F and a burnout is needed.

Stupid SCR systems are annoying.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My "guess" is the difference on tune has alternated the parameters for the span of the deltaP sensor.

To explain why towing has less regens:

Platinum and palladium operate and function starting at or very close to 650*F. And much better at 1000. However they start to deteriorate at 1300+

OBVIOUSLY TOWING YOUR EGT's are higher and probably in the 800*F range. And not towing in the 500*F+ range. The reason for more burnouts needed.

Ashing is a problem with diesel or NG engines below 650*F and a burnout is needed.

Stupid SCR systems are annoying.

So what would happen if the dpf actually burnt out of the truck or a hole burnt through the center of it?

live life full throttle

12stroker

Reaction score
anyone else had issues with changing tire size with 3.31 rear gears? Went from 275/70/18 to 35x12.50x20 and we changed the tire size to 275/65/20 with IDS and also tried changing gears to 3.55 in IDS and still didnt get it close to what it should be speedo or odo wise. 3.55 gears made it worse actually.

The speedo isn't even right on a straight from factory stuff. On all 3 6.7 I drive back when they were stock tires they were never the same. Not even my gfs 6.7 dually is the same on what the gps to the speedo.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The speedo isn't even right on a straight from factory stuff. On all 3 6.7 I drive back when they were stock tires they were never the same. Not even my gfs 6.7 dually is the same on what the gps to the speedo.

Mine is a couple mph off of the gps... does that stand for girlfriend or general formans dually?

live life full throttle

CATDiezel

Reaction score
So what would happen if the dpf actually burnt out of the truck or a hole burnt through the center of it?

live life full throttle

Truck would go into limp mode and shut OFF. The ECM via differential pressure sensor knows what the pre (backpressure) is supposed to be. Also it runs off a timer. Regardless of whether it needs to or not. There are a lot of variables with that dpf garbage.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Truck would go into limp mode and shut OFF. The ECM via differential pressure sensor knows what the pre (backpressure) is supposed to be. Also it runs off a timer. Regardless of whether it needs to or not. There are a lot of variables with that dpf garbage.

So, you mean to tell me that if it isnt creating a certain amount of back pressure the mother ***er will shut the *** off?

live life full throttle

CATDiezel

Reaction score
So, you mean to tell me that if it isnt creating a certain amount of back pressure the mother will shut the off?

live life full throttle

Yes, that is a EPA mandated feature. Not FOR D'S idea.

Well over Half of the new semi trucks you see on the side of the road with the hood up is due to a shutdown from a SCR/DPF problem.

It's a proven fact that over 90% of engine related failures in the dealerships are directly linked to emissions equipment/software.

For instance. A 6.4L is a fine engine if completely deleted from day one.

Urea injection has helped LOWER the failure rate tremendously. So in the case of UREA it has been a God send for the consumer.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Let me be a little more specific. The truck will NOT shut off just driving down the road. It will go to zero power enough to keep the engine running and moving and allow you to safely pull over. Then it should shut down. I believe the same holds true if it loses a pre exhaust temp sensor as well.

sagebel

Reaction score
I had an exhaust sensor go on my '11 and the info center said pull over safely. As soon as I came to a complete stop the truck shut down and would not start. I would have been screwed if I had come to a stop sign before I could get pulled over. If I wasn't moving to CT and then on to WA after six months all within the next year I would be deleting the new truck.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Sooooo.... I may be going back to my redneckish ways with this but this filter is the next size bigger the the 6637 filter we all have used on the ole 7.3s but the way the filter box is set up on the 6.7 is just horid. I swep a .25 inch layer of dirt/dust out so I pulled all the components out to see if this filter would fit... its 10.5 inch wide by 10.5 inch long with 2inch deep pleets..... well bigger then the 6637... but fits nicely.... prolly make it happen the next time I need a filter...
bevusydu.jpg
5e3esavu.jpg

live life full throttle

sagebel

Reaction score
When the AFe cold air intakes first came out they were throwing some sort of code. I wonder if this setup will? If it doesn't we might have something here.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I refuse to run a cone/oiled filter.... this is the only option ill try... if it throws a code I guess ill just have to suck it up and figure out how to keep all the dam dirt/dust out of the box... 15k miles 90% freeway and the stock filter was matted across 3/4 of it...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online