S364.5 on 7.3

ja_cain

Reaction score
Just to clarify, the BASB is a 1.10, not 1.15

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

Makes sense. It's like he scales the turbine a/r with the compressor dimension and horsepower range. That being said, it doesn't address the possible differences in t4 vs. t4i configuration.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Having more fuel absolutely helps and has a direct effect on the rate at which a charger comes up. A 38r on a stock truck behaves very different compared to the same truck having 250/200s.

Large injector and smaller turbo combos dont mean more smoke. It means less until you do dome wot shti. Which towing, as is the case isnt realistic.

Im not here to change anyone's mind and my truck is coming apart soon so ill be out of the loop for a while but when I put stock suspension and 33s on it I expect my 250/200s do be nothing short of miraculous for towing. Even in a "race" file.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Well what does black smoke and no boost mean? Lag? Sorry I'm over how people neglect facts.!

Swaan

Reaction score
There's always that guy out there running a turbo that's to big for his application. He's having trouble with smoke and high egts towing . He just can't figure out why when he's in overdrive towing his 5,vr down the interstate his truck is a hot smokey dog.

Then he comes on the boards looking for advise.
You know what he gets? Yup you get some guy spouting off that you need more fuel. Bigger injectors he says. Lmao!!!

I'm sorry there bud, but here's the deal.
Your cruising along the hwy at 1800 rpm with 10,000 lbs hanging off the back bumper. You roll into the throttle as you approach a grade and all you get is black smoke and you can watch your egts skyrocket.
You can add all the fuel you want , nothings going to make it come up on boost faster except a smaller turbo.
Well sure you can down shift and Rev it to the moon but you don't need too with the right sized turbo to start with.

Last edited:

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Totally agree. I'm starting to understand people don't use the vehicles like I do. And
That's fine.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
And swan I totally agree. I will try and do some runs towing before the swap and then after. I'm really excited to try this new turbo

ja_cain

Reaction score
Anyone used a diverter valve like the one BD offers? Seems like it might be useful for people who want to run a larger housing for more peak power up top, but the ability to stay on top of it down low. I assume everyone mostly runs divided housings on the diesels, so it should help in this type of situation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
There's always that guy out there running a turbo that's to big for his application. He's having trouble with smoke and high egts towing . He just can't figure out why when he's in overdrive towing his 5,vr down the interstate his truck is a hot smokey dog.

Then he comes on the boards looking for advise.
You know what he gets? Yup you get some guy spouting off that you need more fuel. Bigger injectors he says. Lmao!!!

I'm sorry there bud, but here's the deal.
Your cruising along the hwy at 1800 rpm with 10,000 lbs hanging off the back bumper. You roll into the throttle as you approach a grade and all you get is black smoke and you can watch your egts skyrocket.
You can add all the fuel you want , nothings going to make it come up on boost faster except a smaller turbo.
Well sure you can down shift and Rev it to the moon but you don't need too with the right sized turbo to start with.
This seems like exactly what happens when people mode the stock turbo with a larger compressor wheel and larger exhaust housing.

The moded h2e (66m) seems to be a great turbo for towing with smaller hybrids. Not sure what exhaust housing CSIPSD runs on his, but he seems to tow pretty heavy on a regular basis and I've never heard of him complaining it was too smokey or laggy.

Swaan

Reaction score
This seems like exactly what happens when people mode the stock turbo with a larger compressor wheel and larger exhaust housing.

The moded h2e (66m) seems to be a great turbo for towing with smaller hybrids. Not sure what exhaust housing CSIPSD runs on his, but he seems to tow pretty heavy on a regular basis and I've never heard of him complaining it was too smokey or laggy.

He probley does all his towing with the OD button off sitting at 2400 rpm cruising down the freeway. Nothing wrong with that at all.
It's just loud and burns more fuel. Personally I like towing down the hwy at 1800 rpm and 15-20 pounds boost .I pull all but the steepest grades in 5th gear,only when they are 8-9% do I shift down to direct 4th gear. It's nice quiet in the cab, gets great fuel milage and I'm utilizing the truck as it was intended to be used. I have no prob getting 12-14 mpg towing like this .Empty I'm up to 19-20 mpg. Egts never go over 1200 even pulling down to 1800 rpm. This is all in a 380 rwhp tune.

ja_cain

Reaction score
He probley does all his towing with the OD button off sitting at 2400 rpm cruising down the freeway. Nothing wrong with that at all.
It's just loud and burns more fuel. Personally I like towing down the hwy at 1800 rpm and 15-20 pounds boost .I pull all but the steepest grades in 5th gear,only when they are 8-9% do I shift down to direct 4th gear. It's nice quiet in the cab, gets great fuel milage and I'm utilizing the truck as it was intended to be used. I have no prob getting 12-14 mpg towing like this .Empty I'm up to 19-20 mpg. Egts never go over 1200 even pulling down to 1800 rpm. This is all in a 380 rwhp tune.
You might be right. Can't remember since it's been so long since I read his posts.

Definitely sounds like you have a hell of a towing setup there. I have a zf too and want to go the basb/364.5sxe route eventually. I want to document every major mod with dyno runs too. Have free access to one now. Just need to get my new uppipes in before u get a baseline run.

Like Tim stated above, it blows that cjfarm11 was sold the wrong turbo based on his mods and intended use. It will be cool to see how different his new charger will be compared to the old one.

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
I can vouch for a 64.5 fmw granted it was on a 6.0 but that charger was money. 64.5/68/.83 with 190/100 it injectors it cleaned up the smoke. Egts never broke 1275

cjfarm111

Reaction score
All I can say I wow. I can't believe how much better this turbo works. Pulls hard, spools way way way better. I can't be happier with this turbo. Haven't towed with it yet and can't really compared pyro temps cuz I messed up my probe
Last night. Will provide more info when I get things fixed

Swaan

Reaction score
Wait till you tow some decent weight. Its going to blow your mind!!!:naughty:

Last edited:

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I honestly can believe how much better it works. The drivability is back! Pulls hard down low all the way through!

Latest posts

Members online