S364.5 on 7.3

Swaan

Reaction score
Yup just like it should be . Amazing what the correct size turbo will do. Your going to love how cool the egts run towing. Just a all round joy to drive.
Glad you like it!

bruce

Reaction score
What's the biggest injector you could run and not have blazing hot EGTs?

That's an open ended question if I ever saw one. High egt towing? Racing? Sled pulling? what elevation? Doesn't really matter for any of that. A good tuner should be able to make 200% nozzles run like stock.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
That's an open ended question if I ever saw one. High egt towing? Racing? Sled pulling? what elevation? Doesn't really matter for any of that. A good tuner should be able to make 200% nozzles run like stock.

Racing and sea level 200% nozzle, sorry typed it on my phone and didn't finish it LOL.

Swaan

Reaction score
What's the biggest injector you could run and not have blazing hot EGTs?

I agree with Bruce. Like how does a guy answer that.

I just love these new turbos from borg.
This is what I would recommend after my trial @ error of turbo games on these 7.3s.

Stock to a 160/30 injector I would suggest a s362 fmw sxe.
That would be a very responsive clean running tow machine.

Next would be the 364.5 sxe. I think this would be great from a 160/30 right up to a small hybrid 238/80.
Again this is a hot street / tow friendly setup.

The new 366 sxe would be good with 238/80 up to 250/200.
Hot street / tow if rpm kept up over 2000 rpm setup.

Any injector bigger then that the 369 sxe would probley be amazing.
Awesome drag/sled Pulling set up.

Keep in mind depending on nozzle size,housing A/R size will have to be fine tuned . .91/1.00/1.10/ or external WG

This of course is just my opinion based on my personal experiences with countless turbo swaps and general knowlage of the 7.3 platform.
In other words if I was a betting man, this is what I would pick for best all round performance .

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
Nope , but I did have the s366sx on my truck for a while.
So based on that the 66 sxe should be faster to spool and flow more then the s366sx .

Good for a decent sized injector and still tow .

Swaan

Reaction score
Man I'd hate to sit down and figure out how much $ I've spent on diffrent turbos over the years. Not just on this 7.3 but on other projects of mine.
I'm quite happy with what I got now . Anything else would be a down grade I think, especially for the fuel I got .
I'm kinda done playing on my truck . I like how I can just get in it and go anywhere ,tow anything and not worrie about anything. It just runs and drives great.:fordoval:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Man I'd hate to sit down and figure out how much $ I've spent on diffrent turbos over the years. Not just on this 7.3 but on other projects of mine.
I'm quite happy with what I got now . Anything else would be a down grade I think, especially for the fuel I got .
I'm kinda done playing on my truck . I like how I can just get in it and go anywhere ,tow anything and not worrie about anything. It just runs and drives great.:fordoval:

Yep. Im hoping thats where mines at when I ditch the lift with 250/200s and 38r. Ill wear my 35s out but next set will be 33s.

ja_cain

Reaction score

This is money right here! I want a 364.5 some kind of bad. The thing I cant decide on is whether to go with a 238/80 or the 175/80. The fuel atomization thing is always lingering in the back of mind despite all of the threads I've read saying it isn't really an issue. If I had the money I would be systematic and upgrade and dyno to see how everything compares.

This site has really helped me to understand this platform and I would love to be able to contribute with something useful. My ultimate goal is a two vehicle that can hang with the newer trucks that have been ******d with a tuner. I know this might be unrealistic but that is what I would like to shoot for. If it cant be done on a reasonable budget then I will look into a re-power (maybe compounded DTA-360 to keep it International).

Thanks everyone for a great thread!

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yep. Im hoping thats where mines at when I ditch the lift with 250/200s and 38r. Ill wear my 35s out but next set will be 33s.

Yeah, fook the big tires and lift. I probably told you that a while back too. I like a sweet looking truck an all, but in the end it's a truck. I want to be able to use it to it's full potential and then some. Not to mention, it will perform much better with the smaller tires anyway.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
To confirm specs, cjfarm11 you have the 74mm turbine and .91 housing?
Swaan you have the smaller 68 turbine with the 1.00 housing?

Also Swaan is running 4:10's with 35's, what is your setup cjfarm?

Annoying how Borg uses the small side of turbine (exducer) for sizing and garrett uses the large side (inducer), makes comparisons tough.

Swaan

Reaction score
Yes you are correct.

And yes, I agree with you on the way garrett specs there chargers.
Makes it hard to compare.
Honestly I think garretts are a great turbo but from a price stand point there way out to lunch. Just does not make sence, especially now with borgs new sxe line.

I just can't wait till borg comes out with the sxe line for the s400 series. Supposedly should be coming out with a new turbine to replace the 96/88 they have had forever.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Clarifying for comparison reasons. I know obs are mostly 4:10 and SD's are 3.73 which makes a difference. Spool should also be quicker with an auto. Curious to know farms fuel, trans/gear/tire combo.

I'm used to Garrett so I understand how they do it, getting used to Borg's sizing. Would just be easier if everyone used common measurements. Ford have gone back and forth between Garrett and Borg, now their turbos are just garretts they manufacture.

As far as pricing Garrett has always been more expensive, but most people compare to the gtx series. New Gtw series is a little less money and can be had in journal bearing as well.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yeah, fook the big tires and lift. I probably told you that a while back too. I like a sweet looking truck an all, but in the end it's a truck. I want to be able to use it to it's full potential and then some. Not to mention, it will perform much better with the smaller tires anyway.

I agree but mine is the opposite. I lifted it shortly after buying it because i kept getting stuck. I ran a 6" lift and 36x14.5 boggers. 100hp chip and towed a gn with a skidloader on it. Id drag trees out of a grove up on a steep hill and back to the road. The tires went up to 40" and down to 36. A few sizes in between. Load the wood, haul it to the yard and repeat. Never even unhooked the trailer. Take it home and park it. I quit doing that shti in 09 and sold the skiddy. Then the trailer. Then realized my 225k mile lariat was still nicer than most people's shtiboxes. So I threw wheels and tires on it. Its still holding about 5" of lift over stock and i have never shied away drom working out of it despite the height. The tailgate is at my waist so no issues.

After this ankle deal, im just over it. Sucks working under the hood. So its coming down since i noticed broken leaves now. My setup without bars is playing hell on the springs.

As for your injectors of choice, go with the 238 as you are still limited by your nozzle choice. A 238 can use more of the 80% nozzle than the 175. A 175 is a great injector, Ive had them. But tuned the way I like things tuned the power output is not comparable to a 238.

Im running 200% nozzles with a 38r for crissakes! Its really not an issue anymore.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Im auto with 3.73's and 20" wheels with stock tires. So far I love this turbo with PIS 175/80's.

Latest posts

Members online