S364.5 on 7.3

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Yes my turbo is the sxe model. It has the 73mm turbine with a .91 housing. Also I believe the sxe model has a different compressor housing for increased flow. I was told it flows more then the sx3 model(previous model) s366

ja_cain

Reaction score
I agree but mine is the opposite. I lifted it shortly after buying it because i kept getting stuck. I ran a 6" lift and 36x14.5 boggers. 100hp chip and towed a gn with a skidloader on it. Id drag trees out of a grove up on a steep hill and back to the road. The tires went up to 40" and down to 36. A few sizes in between. Load the wood, haul it to the yard and repeat. Never even unhooked the trailer. Take it home and park it. I quit doing that shti in 09 and sold the skiddy. Then the trailer. Then realized my 225k mile lariat was still nicer than most people's shtiboxes. So I threw wheels and tires on it. Its still holding about 5" of lift over stock and i have never shied away drom working out of it despite the height. The tailgate is at my waist so no issues.

After this ankle deal, im just over it. Sucks working under the hood. So its coming down since i noticed broken leaves now. My setup without bars is playing hell on the springs.

As for your injectors of choice, go with the 238 as you are still limited by your nozzle choice. A 238 can use more of the 80% nozzle than the 175. A 175 is a great injector, Ive had them. But tuned the way I like things tuned the power output is not comparable to a 238.

Im running 200% nozzles with a 38r for crissakes! Its really not an issue anymore.

I used to love those boggers. Definitely makes sense to have a bigger, more agresive tire if doing a lot of off road work. So far my 33" AT's have been great driving in wet fields. That's about the extent of my offroading. Lol!

It must be nice to be able to work out of the back of your truck even with a lift. Being 5'7" it can be a little combersom sometimes. It's a real pain to work under the hood too. Asking for a top side creeper for Christmas. That should make things much easier especially if I do end up switching over to the x codes up front.

I would love to put ladder bars on my truck, as I feel like there is a lot of axle wrap tacking place, especially since I have a zf6 and the driveline unloads between shifts.

Thanks for the info on the injectors, I feel like the hybrids are the way to go too. I really don't feel like having to purchase an hpop right after doing an injector change (that money will be for a clutch). Though, the 175/80's are supposed to be about as oil hungry as the stock AD splits (if I remember correctly).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Cj, have you loaded that bad boy down yet? Lol! I can't wait to see how she does.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my down pipe hitting the crossmember so I have it out trying to make fit better. Then it's game on haha

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Well I towed my twenty eight foot enclosed and the new turbo works awesome. Stays on boost, No smoke and pulls like a freight train. I love this setup. Also the egts are 150 degrees cooler cruising and pulling hills. The trailer was empty but so far its a vast improvement over the BELL HFSB.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well I towed my twenty eight foot enclosed and the new turbo works awesome. Stays on boost, No smoke and pulls like a freight train. I love this setup. Also the egts are 150 degrees cooler cruising and pulling hills. The trailer was empty but so far its a vast improvement over the BELL HFSB.

Yep, do what works for you!

I hate all the guys buying s366 with stock injectors. Im always thinking "you're already driving a 15year old truck, if you dont have bigger injectors, when do you plan to do them? When its 30 years old?"

I hear guys gaving issues with 38r turbos, but im not sure what that is all about. Mine was great with stock injectors and 250/200s...

cjfarm111

Reaction score
And 175/80's aren't oil hungry? They can be ran on a healthy 17 pump. And Tycorr the 38r in my experience is to small with any injector bigger then a 180/100. They become very inefficient. Back pressure is killer at elevated boost levels. But that's just my experience. The 38r is a tough turbo and is a great alternative for those not looking to change mounts.

ja_cain

Reaction score
That's awesome man!

TyCorr

Reaction score
And 175/80's aren't oil hungry? They can be ran on a healthy 17 pump. And Tycorr the 38r in my experience is to small with any injector bigger then a 180/100. They become very inefficient. Back pressure is killer at elevated boost levels. But that's just my experience. The 38r is a tough turbo and is a great alternative for those not looking to change mounts.

Ha ha, on the 38r, wanna bet? LOL

Find a decent tuner and its not an issue. My truck isnt even that smoky...to each his own..

psduser1

Reaction score
Yep, do what works for you!

I hate all the guys buying s366 with stock injectors. Im always thinking "you're already driving a 15year old truck, if you dont have bigger injectors, when do you plan to do them? When its 30 years old?"

I hear guys gaving issues with 38r turbos, but im not sure what that is all about. Mine was great with stock injectors and 250/200s...

Ha ha, on the 38r, wanna bet? LOL

Find a decent tuner and its not an issue. My truck isnt even that smoky...to each his own..

I think that's the disconnect.
If your tuner has to limit fueling on "x" injector to control smoke, you're underturboed.
I've got two trucks with a code injectors, and, for a daily driver/work truck, that's plenty! On the hot tune, they both get smokey. Yes I have plenty of oil.
If I have the luxury of building compounds, the 38 would be a great hp, but from a reliability standpoint, there's no reason to. I'm making plenty of power for what I'm doing.
Thankfully, there's folks that are still looking for bigger power with this platform, even at 20 yrs old, and they may be able give up a bit of bottomend driveablity for a bigger topend.
I guess what I'm getting at is there are better turbos available, even for dd singles, but at what point does a guy say enough?
Every mod, every trial costs money. To some people, it's worth it, to some people, it's not.

TyCorr

Reaction score
There arent many streetable setups out there cleaning up injectors over 250/200.

Im not going to get into the piss war. Like I've said 100 times, being able to tow and whatever else, these 250/200 work better than the puny ass 175/80 did. Which consequently are the size injectors all "the smart guys" said are the max scope of the 38r. More fuel, more nozzle and it lights truly like soooo many people think theirs does.

An ac code (160, 175) is something that should have a 30% nozzle thrown on it and enjoy the slight hp increase.

Anyway. I dont think im underturboed until well after 100mph. Which Ive done twice in the 16 years Ive owned this truck. I guess i could get an s468 and lose a bunch of stuff while im driving around town. Sounds fun.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I'm not trying to cause a pissing match either. I'm plainly stating my experience. I woulda loved to been able to drop a 38r in and some hybrids and been done. Buuuuttt I tow and need to be able to keep things cool. And the38r wouldn't in my opinion. So I went and tried other setups and finally found one that works.

psduser1

Reaction score
I'm not trying to cause a pissing match either. I'm plainly stating my experience. I woulda loved to been able to drop a 38r in and some hybrids and been done. Buuuuttt I tow and need to be able to keep things cool. And the38r wouldn't in my opinion. So I went and tried other setups and finally found one that works.

Lol at the towing.
I'm glad your setup works well!
Ty, I'd love to go to a hybrid, as mine are "puny" 180 and 200 cc injectors. Both are 100% nozzles, and it's worth going bigger on the nozzle, even with an a code. I can say that from experience.
The 38r is acceptable. I'm sure there are better turbos available now, but the cost is too big of a factor for me to start experimenting for this application.
I do have a set of 300/200s on the shelf;)
Maybe they'll fall into my daily someday....

TyCorr

Reaction score

Yea. Im not discounting your experiencing. Which is why I didnt quote you.

rusty1161

Reaction score
I agree with Bruce. Like how does a guy answer that.

I just love these new turbos from borg.
This is what I would recommend after my trial @ error of turbo games on these 7.3s.

Stock to a 160/30 injector I would suggest a s362 fmw sxe.
That would be a very responsive clean running tow machine.

Next would be the 364.5 sxe. I think this would be great from a 160/30 right up to a small hybrid 238/80.
Again this is a hot street / tow friendly setup.

The new 366 sxe would be good with 238/80 up to 250/200.
Hot street / tow if rpm kept up over 2000 rpm setup.

Any injector bigger then that the 369 sxe would probley be amazing.
Awesome drag/sled Pulling set up.

Keep in mind depending on nozzle size,housing A/R size will have to be fine tuned . .91/1.00/1.10/ or external WG

This of course is just my opinion based on my personal experiences with countless turbo swaps and general knowlage of the 7.3 platform.
In other words if I was a betting man, this is what I would pick for best all round performance .

This is great info. I was talking to James at Barder Turbo about my setup, 160/30 injectors and my truck is a daily driver/tow pig. He mentioned the S363 SXE, I might have to try that with my setup.

Rusty

cjfarm111

Reaction score
What are you currently running? And James is one smart fella. So is swaan on here. Both of them were right on the turbo size.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.