Test mule build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Reaction score
The pictured one is next on my list. I've got a cast 75 in there now. It feels stronger, and seems to have less egt's than with the 72, but the data will tell what I really need to know. Boost output on atmo alone is similar to the 71's and 72 with peaks in the mid to high 40's, but more CFM, I'm sure. My first impressions are positive, but my butt dyno is not very accurate.

I was planning on hitting the dyno on friday, but ran into a snag getting it done in time before the dyno closed. We planned on saturday, but got slammed with heavy snow, so they cancelled all appointments as most his customers are high-end cars that don't go out in the snow. I was then planning on yesterday, but developed a weld crack in a test converter over the weekend, causing major fluid loss. I got it pulled, re-welded, and re-assembled after work last night,and it's running great, so back to the dyno & data logging this afternoon.

Part of my data logging is a go-pro video of WOT 0-100 mph of the tail pipe to gauge smoke output, so that should also be indicative of potential gains with it.

Last edited:

MINK

Reaction score
The pictured one is next on my list. I've got a cast 75 in there now. It feels stronger, and seems to have less egt's than with the 72, but the data will tell what I really need to know. Boost output on atmo alone is similar to the 71's and 72 with peaks in the mid to high 40's, but more CFM, I'm sure. My first impressions are positive, but my butt dyno is not very accurate.

I was planning on hitting the dyno on friday, but ran into a snag getting it done in time before the dyno closed. We planned on saturday, but got slammed with heavy snow, so they cancelled all appointments as most his customers are high-end cars that don't go out in the snow. I was then planning on yesterday, but developed a weld crack in a test converter over the weekend, causing major fluid loss. I got it pulled, re-welded, and re-assembled after work last night,and it's running great, so back to the dyno & data logging this afternoon.

Part of my data logging is a go-pro video of WOT 0-100 mph of the tail pipe to gauge smoke output, so that should also be indicative of potential gains with it.

I'm beyond excited to see some results:rockon:

Wayne

Reaction score
Well, I got the results back, and can share a little. First of all, this was a basic, relatively inexpensive theoretical upgrade from the tow power plus. Power on this cast 75 is just slightly down from the billet 72.4. peak back pressure dropped by a minuscule amount, probably because average peak atmospheric turbo boost is down by about 4 psi. The truck only makes a light haze, WOT, converter locked. It's not crystal clean, but not too bad considering. I have yet to review EGT results in a fair comparison to the 72, so I won't speculate any more there.

Despite the lack of amazing results on this specific turbo, we still expect a noticeable gain going to either of the billet versions. I doubt we'll be releasing much in the way of specifics from here on out, as we're testing different turbine wheels as well as compressors for optimum performance. Once we're done with it all, though, we will have gains posted over existing platforms on the production unit. If only customers were interested in the data for curiosity's sake, that would be one thing, and we would be glad to share, but we're not interested in paying for all the data, just so somebody else can clone what we're doing without going through the cost of doing the R&D.

On another note for truck progress, the new 38's will finally be going on this week. One Up Offroad traction blocks will be replacing my existing fabtech traction bars, hopefully before I break them again, and I'll be permanently installing an Edge Insight CTS with a bunch of add-ons as soon as I can find the time. It will sure be nice on a daily basis compared to the livewire & hokey mechanical auto meter gauge I temporarily rigged to my dash with double sided tape for turbo testing.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
results dont totally surprise me actually, but thats good info. Nice work guys keep it up

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Well, I got the results back, and can share a little. First of all, this was a basic, relatively inexpensive theoretical upgrade from the tow power plus. Power on this cast 75 is just slightly down from the billet 72.4. peak back pressure dropped by a minuscule amount, probably because average peak atmospheric turbo boost is down by about 4 psi. The truck only makes a light haze, WOT, converter locked. It's not crystal clean, but not too bad considering. I have yet to review EGT results in a fair comparison to the 72, so I won't speculate any more there.

Despite the lack of amazing results on this specific turbo, we still expect a noticeable gain going to either of the billet versions. I doubt we'll be releasing much in the way of specifics from here on out, as we're testing different turbine wheels as well as compressors for optimum performance. Once we're done with it all, though, we will have gains posted over existing platforms on the production unit. If only customers were interested in the data for curiosity's sake, that would be one thing, and we would be glad to share, but we're not interested in paying for all the data, just so somebody else can clone what we're doing without going through the cost of doing the R&D.

On another note for truck progress, the new 38's will finally be going on this week. One Up Offroad traction blocks will be replacing my existing fabtech traction bars, hopefully before I break them again, and I'll be permanently installing an Edge Insight CTS with a bunch of add-ons as soon as I can find the time. It will sure be nice on a daily basis compared to the livewire & hokey mechanical auto meter gauge I temporarily rigged to my dash with double sided tape for turbo testing.

Good work Wayne. Smart choice going with OUO. Best product out there!

Wayne

Reaction score
Pretty sure those ones are actually going on his shorty as soon as I can finish painting it. :doh:
I got a mile deep stack of crap to do, and here I am on this forum. :shrug:

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Pretty sure those ones are actually going on his shorty as soon as I can finish painting it. :doh:
I got a mile deep stack of crap to do, and here I am on this forum. :shrug:

Sweet! Well when he ships them back can he just leave them attached to the Shorty? :D

Wayne

Reaction score
LOL @ dustball & beans.

I'm really loving the truck as it's setup now. I took the family up to Estes Park this past Easter weekend for a mini-vacation, and was really surprised at how low my cruising EGT's are, even pulling big grades at 7500 ft. For a daily driver, I think this setup would be really hard to beat, even on 38's. Temps are low enough that I would feel comfortable towing as heavy as the truck can handle as egt's are very easy to control. I should know tomorrow how bald 37's compare to new 38's, and stock 275 x70r18's as I have only changed to the 38's, and will be trying the 275's just for giggles to know how bad my heavy tires are killing power. Tonight, I'll be installing my new OUO traction blocks, so I'm pretty excited about that. Tomorrow will be the billet turbo pictured a page or two back, and then on to 110 hp nozzles. After that, the atmo with the precision 76 CEA will go in. I know I've been back and forth a bit on nozzles, but we want to see how a bit more fuel goes with these larger turbos. I'll post a few pics as I get time tonight with any luck.

Last edited:

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
LOL @ dustball & beans.

I'm really loving the truck as it's setup now. I took the family up to Estes Park this past Easter weekend for a mini-vacation, and was really surprised at how low my cruising EGT's are, even pulling big grades at 7500 ft. For a daily driver, I think this setup would be really hard to beat, even on 38's. Temps are low enough that I would feel comfortable towing as heavy as the truck can handle as egt's are very easy to control. I should know tomorrow how bald 37's compare to new 38's, and stock 275 x70r18's as I have only changed to the 38's, and will be trying the 275's just for giggles to know how bad my heavy tires are killing power. Tonight, I'll be installing my new OUO traction blocks, so I'm pretty excited about that. Tomorrow will be the billet turbo pictured a page or two back, and then on to 110 hp nozzles. After that, the atmo with the precision 76 CEA will go in. I know I've been back and forth a bit on nozzles, but we want to see how a bit more fuel goes with these larger turbos. I'll post a few pics as I get time tonight with any luck.

Hell yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online