Test mule build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Reaction score
Yeah, Estes park sure was nice. It is definitely on my list of places I would like to go to again.

On the truck, I didn't get as far as I would have liked to, but it is mobile again. I forgot I had to break apart the leaf packs to remove the driveline angle wedge, so that took a bit, as did finding the proper location, and drilling for the airbag mount bolt. I got the traction blocks permanently installed, but still have to do the bars and frame mounts. Should be later this week anyway. Here's some pics of before, and so far...

IMG_20130401_210424_710.jpg

^^^Here's inside the frame rail looking to the RR. When a weld cracked in my prototype converter, it gave the undercarriage a nice "rustproofing". Now it's real fun go clean it up little by little. These fabtech bars have served me well, but I'm really looking forward to the new ones.

IMG_20130401_210500_864.jpg

^^^outside the frame rail looking into the RR wheel well.

IMG_20130401_231835_836.jpg

^^^RR corner finished with the air bag re-mounted and the 3/4" U-bolts in place.

IMG_20130401_231902_550.jpg

^^^I still have a few loose ends on the blocks such as reattaching the brake lines and E-brake cables, but so far, so good. I haven't done too many different traction bar setups, but this is by far my favorite so far.

Got some stock spare tires on the rear for the dyno tomorrow. This should be fun, and depressing all at the same time if the power changes much with tire size and weight.

6.4psd916

Reaction score
Looks good. Should have pulled that add a leaf out and went with a slightly taller block. I didn't like the ride of mine till I got rid of the extra leaf.

Wayne

Reaction score
:shrug: you're probably right, but I totally forgot about that until you just mentioned it. Oh, well. It has always had a nice ride, so I just never worried, or thought about it.

Wayne

Reaction score
Well, new 38's from bald 37's was a -50 hp mod :doh: they sure are heavy tires. Good thing I'm not building it for the drag strip:lame2:

BBottoms

Reaction score
Well, new 38's from bald 37's was a -50 hp mod :doh: they sure are heavy tires. Good thing I'm not building it for the drag strip:lame2:

Ouch! That makes me reconsider going to 37s when my 35s wear out.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Hoping these help offset Wayne's power loss. 59/76.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104

webb06

Reaction score
So is the inside machined out? Or stock cut off and the 3.5" inlet welded on?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

i have the heavy tire mod too !!!

Wayne

Reaction score
So is the inside machined out? Or stock cut off and the 3.5" inlet welded on?

There would be nothing left to machine out as the stock OD is smaller than the new ID :D we've been doing this with the 71 and 72 all along. There's just more involved on this one to make it look and work right

webb06

Reaction score
thats what i was thinking was that the 72 was about as big as the stock housing could handle, size wise.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Put the pedal to the floor mat tonight on the way home Wayne. First thoughts?

Wayne

Reaction score
:redspotdance:

^^^That pretty much sums it up.

This setup is ridiculously fun for a street truck. Tow Power Plus was my favorite combo up until this point, but this setup is a fair amount better from what I've seen so far. Cruising EGT's are similar, heavy throttle EGT's are noticeably lower, lights very fast, and it has no problem pegging the factory boost sensor. I have more optimistic observed opinion, but will keep it to myself until the observations have been validated.

Wayne

Reaction score
...that, and the fact that this is only a prototype unit. It's too early to say either way, but an identical duplicate may never make it to production. At least we're headed in the right direction though.

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
Hoping these help offset Wayne's power loss. 59/76.

Is this the Tow X or is a different 59 and 76?

Edit: Wayne and I must have been typing at the same time so I never saw his last post. Is the 59 from the Tow X St II?

Wayne

Reaction score
The current setup is same as tow power plus on the billet VGT, but with the atmo being a stock housing hiding a 76 precision CEA compressor wheel among other things. I couldn't get on the dyno today, but did some data logging during lunch, and made 46 psi boost just on the atmo. It looks like time for more fuel now as I can't get it to smoke at all once the converter locks. It's minimal at best before that.

Last edited:

Danny26

Reaction score
The current setup is same as tow power plus on the billet VGT, but with the atmo being a stock housing hiding a 76 precision CEA compressor wheel among other things. I couldn't get on the dyno today, but did some data logging during lunch, and made 46 psi boost just on the atmo. It looks like time for more fuel now.

Are you gonna dyno it with the 60hp nozzles in, or are you gonna wait until you do 110hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.