The 600hp saga continues

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
UPDATE_by_SonamyChao.jpg

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Well guys you're going to hate me for this, but the truck ended up getting pushed back out of the shop for other trucks and projects that were more important. However, I do have an engine for it that I just bought so it won't be long before I go ahead and yank the old one out! Instead of using one of my 175k+ mile motors in the shop, I decided to buy a 2000 motor with only 80k miles on it for $750!! You'll never guess what its from. LOL Its a T444E out of a bus!! This should make things interesting! Lol! Anybody ever done the swap? Basically its just all the bolt ons that need to be replaced. Should be a piece of cake. I'll go through a lot to put an 80k mile motor in it! Lol!

Bair

Reaction score
Mines got a T444E out of an IH truck. Yeah it's a piece of cake. Oil cooler, motor mounts, adapter plate an it bolts rite in.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Hasn't arrived yet. Bought it from a friend in Nebraska and he won't be down here with it till the 16th. I do however know the story on it. It was in a bus in a barn that caught fire. Only the back portion of the bus burned. The engine and trans were fine. In fact the trans got put in another bus and is working perfectly. I'll do a compression test once I get it. I'm definitely not worried though. It'll be good. Even if its not big deal. I paid $750 for a complete engine with electronics, piping, and everything!

This new engine definitely won't see the abuse I gave the last one. Its going to be a tow pig and everyday driver once I get the engine for the 78 built. I just need someone to sponsor me about $5k more dollars so I can get it done! Hahaha!!

Last edited:

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
When you get the engine, pull the rockers and pushrods and take a look at the headgasket material you'll see over the lifters.

If there are blue stripes on that material, your head gaskets are about 0.050" +/- 0.003. VS the 0.060-0.066 that the SD/OBS engines came with.

And, you have a different cam than the SD/OBS engines.

Operating peak for that engine is 2800 RPM's, IIRC.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Now there's some interesting info. That means higher compression. So what do you suggest? Is the IH cam more or less desirable?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Less I believe, power peak on the IH's was 500 RPM's prior to 7.3's for most model years.

IIRC, on the late model engines it was more than a 500 RPM difference.

And, the HG thing will mean higher compression, and less piston to head clearance.

I'd suggest a different cam, and a new set of ford gaskets.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
OK. No biggie there. I have a few laying around I can stick in. Anybody else wanna jump in on this?

Oh, and the rating is 210@2400rpm.

Last edited:

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Well I finally got the engine in today. It looks really good! I started pulling stuff off it stripping it to turn it into a Powerstroke. I'll probably pull the cam from my old motor and if it looks good I'll stick it in after I weld the gear on. I'm thinking I'll use the water pump off the IH motor since it has a built in coolant filter. I kinda like that! Anybody want the stuff I pulled off it? It had all the electronics, wiring, fuel bowl, turbo, ic pipes, everything. It even had the bell housing, flywheel, starter, and flex plate to attach an SAE Allison transmission. Surely there's a sled pulling guy out there that would want it.

Once I get this motor stripped down I'll FINALLY get my engine pulled and torn apart.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Not real sure. Someone else? Its goofy. It has I think it was a 1.01 turbine housing with a superduty collector, but it looked to be an obs compressor housing and for sure an obs compressor wheel. Its non waste gated.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Well I finally got the engine in today. It looks really good! I started pulling stuff off it stripping it to turn it into a Powerstroke. I'll probably pull the cam from my old motor and if it looks good I'll stick it in after I weld the gear on. I'm thinking I'll use the water pump off the IH motor since it has a built in coolant filter. I kinda like that! Anybody want the stuff I pulled off it? It had all the electronics, wiring, fuel bowl, turbo, ic pipes, everything. It even had the bell housing, flywheel, starter, and flex plate to attach an SAE Allison transmission. Surely there's a sled pulling guy out there that would want it.

Once I get this motor stripped down I'll FINALLY get my engine pulled and torn apart.

Make sure you install it and it has the proper end play before you go to the trouble of welding that gear on and it be in the wrong spot.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I have an update!! I got the IH motor stripped down and ready to receive Powerstroke parts. I pulled the heads, pan, front cover, and cam. It looks like new in there! Everything is beautiful! I also got my old engine pulled and most of the way tore down. I still need to pull the heads. I got the pan off (its junk) and the front cover is ready to go on the IH motor. I found the rocker arm was busted, chromoly push rod was bent, and the connecting rod looks like a candy cane! Does it sound like hydrolock to anyone else? I don't know. Tomorrow I'll get the IH motor put together and hopefully be running by tomorrow night.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Today I got the cam pulled from my old motor. Its screwed. I pulled the cam from my other..... other... spare motor and put it in. A buddy came over so I didn't get near as much done as I should have. LOL Now its just down to putting parts on the new engine and getting it stuffed in the truck.

I found a couple odd things on my old motor. First was the steel gasket between the turbine housing and the collector was ate out. Maybe I didn't have it tight enough and the pressure just ate it out. It was weird. Also the back pressure sensor tube was ate out. I would put one of my spare lines on it but I'm putting my headers on is so i thought about leaving it off. Anybody know if that will be okay? Can I just have Cale tune it out or something?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online