The 600hp saga continues

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Dynoed 375hp, stage two's, turbonetics BB, DP tuner, back in my childhood days i couldnt resist peer pressure wanting me to romp on it cold leaving the fair and putted 3-4 miles to the highway, mild acceleration into traffic POP

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Im sure it wouldn't have blown (that night anyway) had i not flogged on it once in the parking lot. We all love to hate on DP tuner but this one i'll chalk up to ignorance on my part

TARM

Reaction score
Yep you have to own up to what the driver is doing as well. I read threads and posts on here and look at some of the ages of the people and I have a hard time believing many of these guys are actually waiting until their oil is up near 180 degrees before they romp on these things. How many even have oil temp gauges. More like the second they get to a main street that pedal goes a good ways down and rpms shoot in the 3K+ range. IMO that is why many of the emergency vehicles you see engines broken down from that are 7.3s tend to have that star pattern on them even with totally stock PCMs. They jump in and there is no waiting for nothing. If its 15 degrees out it makes no difference. That 15w40 oil is like raw honey at those temps.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I have one of those fancy scangauges, with the warning lights.

My warning lights don't go out until 180*, helps me remember.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
DP claims to turn off the EOT timing advance table in the PCM.

Not sure if you could simply limit PW until EOT reaches a set level. I just wait for the annoying red light to go out.

If you have a LPO gauge, I noticed that about the time oil hit 180* the low pressure oil pressure had stopped it's decline.

So... You know where your truck idles if you have a LPO gauge, don't stand on it 'til it drops down and stabilizes.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Bill has told me he can limit the tune to not come in full power until until it gets up to temp, he would have to tell ya how it does it but I remember us talking about it

Homesteader

Reaction score
Bill has told me he can limit the tune to not come in full power until until it gets up to temp, he would have to tell ya how it does it but I remember us talking about it

Jody's tunes does the same. It doesn't allow full power until oil temp gets up. You can feel the difference also when it's not up to temperature yet.

Charles

Reaction score
If you have a LPO gauge, I noticed that about the time oil hit 180* the low pressure oil pressure had stopped it's decline.

So... You know where your truck idles if you have a LPO gauge, don't stand on it 'til it drops down and stabilizes.

Bingo...

Milford

Reaction score
I use my engine temp gauge. Its an autometer not stock and once its between 180 and 200 is when i will beat on it. Thing is i usually dont beat on it anymore unless its needed because of some jacka$$$ i need to get around in a hurry. Those two temps are usually npt to far off from each other.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
You mean a coolant gauge?

Coolant comes up to temp a long time before oil does.

TARM

Reaction score
Yep and I think that is what alot of people are doing. They see that stock coolant gauge start to move and one its into the main indicator line they let it rip. The issue is many times that likely 10-15mins before the oil is up to temp. You can not drive easy for a mile and think you are up to full operating temp.

Milford

Reaction score
As I said its an autometer water temp gauge. Also on the truck i drive daily with a C-15 in it, the oil and water temp raise together and i have watched mine from my scangauge before amd have seen the exact same thing. Thats why i just watch my water temp gauge.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
As I said its an autometer water temp gauge. Also on the truck i drive daily with a C-15 in it, the oil and water temp raise together and i have watched mine from my scangauge before amd have seen the exact same thing. Thats why i just watch my water temp gauge.

You do understand that a C-15 and a 7.3 aren't heating or cooling oil the same way right?

And as far as watching the scangauge and ECT come up at the same rate... I have the same technology, and you're either FOS, or your EOT/ECT sender is.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Now now children. Don't start a pissing match. A pissing match over the internet is kind of like a 300lb midget stripper. Sure it'll draw attention, but nobody involved really wins.

Last edited:

WIESEL

Reaction score
Wouldn't outside temp make a difference?
If it's hot as chit out, I could see them coming up together.

TARM

Reaction score
I can say the condition of your oil cooler certainly has an effect.

Latest posts

Members online