The 600hp saga continues

Charles

Reaction score
Pull a few degrees of timing, throw a junkyard longblock in it and skip all the unnecessary bs.

Take the EXACT files you ran, and have someone check the actual output timing. Maybe Bill, since he can do it pretty damn accurately with the program alone.

Then just come down from there, maybe 4 to 8 degrees, depending on where it's at. It had to be close if you drove for a while and it held. Just needed a liiiiiitle less.

No need to condemn the setup just because the CP was a little bit much. That can easily be rectified without changing anything other than a few keystrokes.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Well if you dont weld the caps in place i would at least get some arp main studs. Or what he said lol ^

Last edited:

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Pull a few degrees of timing, throw a junkyard longblock in it and skip all the unnecessary bs.

Take the EXACT files you ran, and have someone check the actual output timing. Maybe Bill, since he can do it pretty damn accurately with the program alone.

Then just come down from there, maybe 4 to 8 degrees, depending on where it's at. It had to be close if you drove for a while and it held. Just needed a liiiiiitle less.

No need to condemn the setup just because the CP was a little bit much. That can easily be rectified without changing anything other than a few keystrokes.

That wouldn't really slow the truck down that much either would it? I know actual power output would be lower but I doubt it would be a very big difference.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this man. It always sucks when you install a window.

I'm not a big fan of tig welding the main caps in place.... cam gear - definitely weld it.

A partial fill, studs, let it eat.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Ok so a partial block fill would that still be streetable or make it pretty much a race only vehicle? Never heard of tigging the main caps down or the timing gear.... I will be pissed if mine lets go at 20mph, if it blows (more like when) i want it to be at least running down the highway or something

moose99psd

Reaction score
Ok so a partial block fill would that still be streetable or make it pretty much a race only vehicle? Never heard of tigging the main caps down or the timing gear.... I will be pissed if mine lets go at 20mph, if it blows (more like when) i want it to be at least running down the highway or something

ive heard of more motors window modding at slow speeds than when its being beat on... i would imagine that mainstuds will work the same as head studs, increase clamping force as well as being more consistant across the board.

TARM

Reaction score
Main studs are to prevent walk the issue is that a number of people have pulled them and found main walk even with studs. Ask Charles.

Yes partial fill is fully streetable if done properly. At least to me it seems logical as its a lower cost thing you can do that adds stiffness. To be clear I have not done this on one of my engines but on my next one will absolutely be doing it.

I agree with Charles on picking up a short or long block that tests good on pressure. Kick the timing back if needed. As HRT recommended weld the cam gear, part fill the block. Role with it. As those are recommendation by guys that have done their fair share of tearing done and putting things back together (BTDT) I would go with their recommendations.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Main studs are to prevent walk the issue is that a number of people have pulled them and found main walk even with studs. Ask Charles.

Yes partial fill is fully streetable if done properly. At least to me it seems logical as its a lower cost thing you can do that adds stiffness. To be clear I have not done this on one of my engines but on my next one will absolutely be doing it.

I agree with Charles on picking up a short or long block that tests good on pressure. Kick the timing back if needed. As HRT recommended weld the cam gear, part fill the block. Role with it. As those are recommendation by guys that have done their fair share of tearing done and putting things back together (BTDT) I would go with their recommendations.

What's all involve to get the cam gear welded ?

TARM

Reaction score
Pull it and weld it on. The engine has to be out of course.

Torque and block flex is what I recall being the reason for walk.

Latest posts

Members online