The 600hp saga continues

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
See that's what I've been thinking. Like I've said, I beat the hell out of this thing. It never made the big boom everyone says they hear. It just kinda went from smooth running to sounding like rocks in the engine. I think its the piston. I just need to hurry up and get the motor open to see exactly what happened! Lol!

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I'll break it open and see what happened probably next week, but what if its the piston? What if the rod is fine and the piston cracked and grenades? Timing wouldn't be the issue. The stock rod limitation argument will be moot. What does a guy do to keep that from happening again? Just some bowl work on the pistons?

Don't rip the center out of another flex plate while going down the track and rev it to the moon again...problem solved, problem stayin' solved.

:poke:

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
See that's what I've been thinking. Like I've said, I beat the hell out of this thing. It never made the big boom everyone says they hear. It just kinda went from smooth running to sounding like rocks in the engine. I think its the piston. I just need to hurry up and get the motor open to see exactly what happened! Lol!

Are you still running the stock flexplate?

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Correct. Ripped the center out of the flex plate at world finals. Over revved the hell out of the motor...

Chris would post about it but the tornado sirens are going off so I'm sure he is preocupied as well LOL

Charles

Reaction score
You know these things come with built in rev limiters, lol.

Set it at 3800 to 4000 and driveline failure doesn't get a chance to overspin an engine.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Its still in place. Never took it off. Problem is when you're under full throttle, 45psi boost, and 2800-3000 rpm when the flex plate goes, it doesn't really matter where your limiter is set. Its going to spin as fast as it wants for a split second.

Charles

Reaction score
Its still in place. Never took it off. Problem is when you're under full throttle, 45psi boost, and 2800-3000 rpm when the flex plate goes, it doesn't really matter where your limiter is set. Its going to spin as fast as it wants for a split second.

Nope. It'll stop it dead in it's tracks if it's programmed to pull MFD to nothing shortly past your full cut point.

I've broken two converter hubs, one OD planet, one input shaft, one driveshaft u-joint and one differential carrier. My engine has never over-revved the 3850rpm limit.

I'm simply suggesting that a tiny bit of effort toward making the limiter actually limit the engine might be a good investment considering that broken driveline isn't necessarily the exception, but more the rule at that power level and beyond.

Just seemed like you needed to know that YES, the limiter WILL stop the engine RIGHT NOW, no matter what you have going on. You stop the injectors and I ASSURE YOU, that the engine will stop accelerating immediately, barring the existence of any other injected fuel source like propane.

Just know that. If your program overruns the limiter, it's not because the PCM can't stop the engine. It's because it's not being told to.

It's not a 1970's gasser with solid lifters. It's a fully electronic engine.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Charles, is this strictly related to the tuning motor/PCM side of things ? Or could I put something in place with the PCS as a fail safe ? Is that possible to do ?

TARM

Reaction score
DB,

Why would you want to do that and not take care of it via the PCM tune?

I agree with Charles the PCM can stop the RPMs as fast as it can tell the injectors to stop fueling and they react to it. We re talking ms here

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Oh I do. Im just wondering if you can limit it via the trans tuning as well.

On edit: I guess it wouldnt matter if you broke something on the trans to make it free rev LOL

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of using the PCS control functions somehow to tie into the engine as I would think it best to limit rpms and what you are trying to protect ( engine)as close to the source as possible. The PCS is a very cool device on what it can do and control. Ultimately I am likely going to end up using one once I get to a new engine project.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I can limit RPMs with the PCS in the WOT shifting tables.

It will shift at whatever RPM I tell it at WOT. I almost wish you could use RPM for shift points along with MPH.

Big Bore

Reaction score
The one thing that occurs to me, and I may be preaching to the choir or making a redundant suggestion, is fueling down low. A recurring theme in a lot of discussions is that old school tuning had too much fueling down low in the rpm's, which led to a lot of the block twisting causing mains to walk etc. (this was usually accompanied by a lot of smoke and lag). The trend seems to be moving the power band up the rpm's, and building the valve train accordingly. I don't recall who is doing your tuning but this may be something you want to discuss with them.

Latest posts

Members online