URGENT: Help

2000wa250

Reaction score
Ok. Added a gallon of oil...have had a leak for a few weeks plus what was lost in injector install....hoping she fires off...wish me luck

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

2000wa250

Reaction score
No luck with added oil...one of the new injectors was a long lead injector.....would it matter if it was placed in a spot other then the number 8? What about a stuck open ipr

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

907DAVE

Reaction score
It really should be in the #8 hole, but it will start and run with it anywhere.

Have you verified fuel is getting to the heads?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Long lead would only matter if its a split shot I believe.

Im with Dave, all signs seem to point for no fuel.

What are your cranking intervals ? What weight oil ? Depending on how cold it is this could cause a minor issue. But it should still fire. Does it even sound like its bubbling after a certain point like it wants to go ? Or does it just crank.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Just cranks. The no fuel makes sense i guess, but I have no idea how to go about seeing if im getting fuel into the heads....I have DI's regulated return, would that change anything? Like I said I see 65psi at the regulator steady while cranking and after a long crank it slowly drops to 20. Is there a way to verify that I have fuel making it into the heads?

Never sounds like its bubbling at all, just straight cranks. Running rotella t6 5w40. Had it plugged in all night last night. No difference. Can head the fuel pump turning on when I turn the key.

My buddy thinks it might be IPR stuck open, or possibly fried PCM, but I have no idea how that could have happened as my keys were inside my house when we installed the chip

Me and a couple buddies are planning to attack it hard tomorrow. Just trying to work out a game plan so we are somewhat organized.

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
If you have a RR it should be making the trip through the heads.....but it should not drop to 20PSI just from cranking.

To verify pull one or both of your return hoses and stick them into container and cycle the key....there should be a steady stream of fuel coming from them.

Also, I assume you cracked your HPO system open somewhere to check for pressure - remember a few hundred PSI is enough to make one heck of a mess - but not enough to fire the injectors. You need to have an accurate way to measure this.

Good Luck!

2000wa250

Reaction score
its dropping to 20 PSI after you stop cranking...not during cranking. I do not have any way to gauge the HPO system. I did crack it at my HPx and there is oil in it. Is there an easy way to rule out the IPR being stuck open?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Are you positive you have the feed and return lines going to the right spot ? You are regulating the return line, not the feed line.

Like Dave said crack the fuel line from the pump into a bucket and cycle your key to make sure fuel is in fact flowing.

I have a feeling you are not getting fuel to the cylinders.

2000wa250

Reaction score
regulated return has been on the truck for a few months and I havent had any problem. Would it be as simple as after pulling the injectors, there is an air bubble trapped post injectors and before the regulator?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
No, I dont think that would cause this. It should force it out.

How long are you cranking for ? How many times ?

Like I said when I did mine it took 3-4 maybe 5 cranks at over a minute long each time.

2000wa250

Reaction score
I havent been able to maintain a full speed crank for longer than 30-45 seconds. Voltage drops a ton and I get strange movement in my gauges and random idiot lights come on after that and the cranking slows drastically.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Cranking should be limited to 15 seconds, then allow to started to cool for a minute or so before continuing.

Plan on buying a new starter very soon.

2000wa250

Reaction score
SES lights will come on. Mine did.

Im gonna say you either have one stubborn 7.3 or a problem elsewhere.

SES light will come on for what?

Would a stuck open IPR be causing these same kind of symptoms?

If I was going to approach this from a new direction and assume it has NOTHING to do with the injector installation, where would you advise me to start looking?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I would say they come on from excessive cranking. As soon as it fired they go away.

I would look into HPOP/LPOP or electrical. Are you getting enough ICP to fire the injector ? Are you getting enough low pressure oil to fill the HPOP to fire the injectors.

Is your IDM even firing the injectors ? Blown fuse somewhere, loose connection under the valve cover ?
Have you verified fuel is getting to the injector ?

A stuck open IPR would yes essentially dump oil pressure.

2000wa250

Reaction score
HPOP reservoir is about a quarter inch from the top, I guess I need to find someone with an AE near me and check what my ICP is while cranking. No idea if the IDM is firing the injectors.

Guess I need to either find an AE or buy one

907DAVE

Reaction score
You could also rig up a high pressure gauge to measure ICP. I had one made for around $50 at the local hydraulic shop.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Replace IPR.

Im worried I might just have to do that, but the thing is I dont want to just throw parts at it. I want to confirm that that is part of my problem or the entire problem

You could also rig up a high pressure gauge to measure ICP. I had one made for around $50 at the local hydraulic shop.

I'll have to look into this, not sure if we have a hydraulic shop around here that could...had my eye on a scangauge for awhile, maybe its time to pull the trigger.

Is your IDM even firing the injectors ? Blown fuse somewhere, loose connection under the valve cover ?
Have you verified fuel is getting to the injector ?

A stuck open IPR would yes essentially dump oil pressure.

Checked all the fuses, no blown ones. All connections seem to be made complete. Guess I could always ohm out the injectors and stuff to make sure.

Latest posts

Members online