URGENT: Help

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
What happened when you grounded the yellow wire to the battery when it was cranking? Dont do anything else until you do this.

2000wa250

Reaction score
havent had a chance. Dont have a shop so I'm doing al of this in my driveway, and its a bit cold and dark right now. Ill do that first tomorrow. The yellow wire off the IPR correct?

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Do you by chance have a NON-EBV turbo pedestal?

If you do, and if you by chance had the IPR disconnected during the work you were doing...there is a chance you swapped the connectors. The EBV connector and the IPR connector are identical and will interchange. They are both 2 wire with the little metal retainer clip. If you have the NE pedestal and had the IPR disco'd during the install (perhaps to clear the cylinders when cranking with the GPs out), look for the other connector and swap them...

2000wa250

Reaction score
i do not have a non ebv pedestal, as far as I know. It was me and my buddy doing the install, and I know i didnt mess with the ipr connector, and i dont think he did.

What i do gather is that it seems like a potential problem with the IPR.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
It does sound like an ICP problem. Starting is pretty simple in these trucks, need 100rpm during cranking, need 10.5v during cranking, need good cam position sensor signal to PCM (don't assume that because the tach moves you're good), need adequate fuel (by your pressure it sounds like you do) and you need to make 500psi of oil pressure in the rails (.85v from the signal wire on the ICP sensor). The PCM will not fire the injectors until all of these have been achieved...so which one is the problem?

FWIW, it could still be a PCM issue. Are the dash lights behaving normally? WTS light coming on and going off normally? Got a friend with a PCM you can swap in and test with?

Good luck...

2000wa250

Reaction score
yes all lights are behaving normal. Everything sounds normal except for the fact that it doesnt start...just cranks...and cranks....and cranks....

what are you talking about .85v from the signal wire on the icp sensor? which wire is this? would be an easy way to narrow things down...see if im getting that .85v. If I'm not, then I know its HPO related...if I am then I know its either starter or voltage (maybe both) or fuel.

On a side note. Is it possible for an old and dieing starter to still spin at the correct speed to the point where it doesnt sound any different than normal, but draw enough voltage that it drops below that 10.5 barrier?

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
What are the two colors of the wires that connect to the plug in the IPR? I read another thread that you put a irate t4 kit on, correct? In which case you didnt need the EPBV plug anymore. Its very easy to swap them up, Dennis asked above, but we have suggested so many things to no avail this has to get brought up once just to make sure.

2000wa250

Reaction score
the t4 kit hasnt been put on yet.

Also, everything suggested will be done tomorrow and I will report back. I am just trying to make sure I have a plan going in to tomorrow to help narrow down things, so that instead of blindly checking stuff, I can systematically check off potential causes

G Racing

Reaction score
Check all that was undone during the injector install and you should find the problem. If you didn't mess with the ipr or the hpop I'm willing to say that your injectors are not firing. If it was running fine before it's in what you have undone to replace the injectors.

2000wa250

Reaction score
yea...i think our plan is to basically do it over. possibly pull them again and reinstall.

G Racing

Reaction score
yea...i think our plan is to basically do it over. possibly pull them again and reinstall.

You shouldn't have to pull the injectors. If your worried about them not being seated put a straight edge across the top of them to see if one is higher than the others.

2000wa250

Reaction score
ok. would you advise to pull the glow plugs and bump the starter a few more times to make sure all oil is gone? Ive done this twice, but if it could be part of the problem i dont see an issue with double and triple checking

2000wa250

Reaction score
OK. So if all of my connections are good, and I cant find any problem due to what we did, I should treat it as any other no start deal and start with the basics.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Always start with basics, pick your way through and rule things out as you go along. Use the information provided to you in this thread to help you along.

2000wa250

Reaction score
that is exactly what I plan to do. Between me and my two buddies I hope that we can figure out what exactly it is. Plan will be to re-check all the connections and ohm out the uvch then if no problems there start trying to figure out why the PCM isnt firing the injectors.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
since you are shooting in the dark with no scanner, go ahead and replace the cps with a known good one and see what happens

onebad7.3

Reaction score
All the electrical connections that you unplugged, I'd unplug them again look everything over real good and plug them back in. Didn't you say you had the PCM out? If you did, pull it out again, check for any bent pins, ect. The big plug on the drivers side valve cover, check that out real good.Probably not going to do a thing other than waste more time, but ya never know.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Do dave stated earlier that it needs to see .85v From the icp sensor to start....is lower voltage on that signal wire going to be higher icp or lower?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online