webb06 official build thread

sootie

Reaction score
this is a long shot but i saw a 6.4 that had a leaking front cover and the first place i noticed an issue was in the ccv tube, it had sludge just like webb06's picture

webb06

Reaction score
Yay..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369847931.229547.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369847954.071761.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369847968.542990.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369847980.143318.jpg

Pulled the ccv canister off and everything is covered in the black jelly stuff. Oil filter has coolant in it too.

Where do I even begin to find the source?

webb06

Reaction score
Pulled the oil pan and got enough room to see inside and pressurized the cooling system. Can see water droplets dripping off the rods bolts. So add me to the cracked block list I guess....

webb06

Reaction score
Ford reman short block the best option? Or try some other company that would build me a short block? I'd like to be able to get the international pistons put in when they build it. Which wouldn't be possible with a ford short block unless I swapped the pistons out. Which might affect the warranty on it.

madman1234509

Reaction score
So you over torqued your studs? That sucks to hear man. Hopefully you can dig into it more and find out exactly where it cracked to keep us all posted

Reaction score
So you over torqued your studs? That sucks to hear man. Hopefully you can dig into it more and find out exactly where it cracked to keep us all posted

I don't think it is that simple. If it was all due to over torque then how come there are guys that torqued to 350 before? I know Dustin has went way up there with torque. Craig has too.

My guess is core shift with some of the blocks being thinner on the lifter valley area then others. They all crack in the lifter valley around the head bolt threads. That seems to be where the weakness is.

Reaction score
Ford reman short block the best option? Or try some other company that would build me a short block? I'd like to be able to get the international pistons put in when they build it. Which wouldn't be possible with a ford short block unless I swapped the pistons out. Which might affect the warranty on it.

Either buy a short block or start with a brand new block. The built motor that we just finished that cracked is getting a brand new block swapped in.

Let me know if I can help on the short block. For the money a short block with swapped pistons isn't bad. But you never know what your getting with ford reman stuff. It would be about the same to start with a new block using your old crank and rods with new HD pistons.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Mine usually did it if I didn't come to a complete stop. Like coming to a stop light with the turning lane and yield sign and rolling through there about 20 and then bam rev slam like crazy! Its either the tuning or a solenoid acting up. I replaced 3 when I had the trans built. Apparently I didn't replace the one that's messing up

My truck used to do that really bad with KEM tunes. I believe some of my IDP tunes did it too. Turning right to get on the on ramp to the highway, I always cringed. With my gearhead tunes, it's never done it once.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Erik, elite filled your block correct?

Yeah, a little over half. It is filled enough to cover where the bottom of the stud would be. Hopefully it will strengthen it enough incase it feels like cracking.

Is there any way to measure the thickness of the blocks that crack to compare to say, one that hasn't? Would be nice if a Ford tech or whatever could get some info from guys and see if there is any similar traits. Like date of casting, where etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online