What's the deal with the Dieselsite Overdrive?

jngreen

Reaction score
PURCHASE NOW FOR RACE USE ONLY - TESTING IS CURRENTLY BEING PERFORMED FOR DAILY DRIVER LONGEVITY SO PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE FOR DAILY DRIVER VEHICLES UNTIL WE CAN RELEASE IT COMFORTABLY FOR THAT PURPOSE.

PUT YOUR STOCK HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP INTO OVERDRIVE WITH OUR NEW OVERDRIVE GEAR ASSEMBLY FOR USE WITH ANY 7.3L HPOP. STICK IT IN FRONT OF YOUR STOCK EARLY MODEL, LATE MODEL OR ADRENALINE FOR SOME SERIOUS VOLUME!

You can run it with early or late model stock OEM pumps or your new Adrenaline. This unit is specially geared to allow for use with the Adrenaline even with stock low pressure oil. Feel free to order, but anyone who orders right now will be required to supply photos, truck bios and testimonial (good or bad) on your experience with the Overdrive. So, if you order now - you will be called about your BETA requirements before your unit ships.

To bring you this product for $999 is more than an accomplishment. As you can see from the quality and as you can imagine with engineering and legal fees, we are pretty deep into this. But, all we've heard for years now is that you wanted High Pressure Oil for under $1000. Well, here it is, for as long as we can hold it there. Inexpensive superior quality full billet exterior and internals with the flexibility to customize or upgrade with your changing needs. How can you beat that? The internals are intentionally completely rebuildable - just in case. So you can keep racing all season long.

The Overdrive is NOT A PUMP, it is a gear assembly that mounts in front of your stock HPOP. It uses OEM gaskets for a no leak solution. Our standard Overdrive units are geared at 1.66:1 for high pressure oil volumes that can exceed even our own large bore pump (The PULSE) when installed with a early model 15* stock unit. But we have many choices of gearsets. So, your Overdrive is always upgradeable, customizable and rebuildable! Get the volumes of high pressure oil we've been needing in these trucks without messy setups. This new "outside of the box" creation forces a more complete fuel delivery for maximum horsepower results. This changes EVERYTHING.

As we said, the Overdrive is NOT a pump, it is an enclosed gear assembly to speed up the RPMs of your stock HPOP. The OEM pumps are rated at about 8000 RPMs, your stock pump can easily spin at higher RPMs - and does so in the 6.0L, I530 and I466 trucks. They've already proven the theory and the stock pump design at higher RPMs in those applications.

This new pump solution is making some people's heads pop off. As of today, the Overdrive has officially generated the most interest of any product we have ever introduced. Alot of you still seem very confused, but once you get it - you'll realize the potential. This isn't a concept... it already works.

The Overdrive won't pull fittings out of pumps, nor will it sling pumps apart. It does not cause excessive wear because of a hyper-speed. Pumps will wear. Any pump. Time, dirty oil, sloppy assembly and cavitation will cause wear to your pump. That's life. One huge problem with the stock pump has been power loss from "spinning" in the housing. On our pump builds (Pulse and Adrenaline) we have avoided issues by pinning the pumps during assembly. Since 2005 we've been pinning all of our pumps to keep them from spinning in the housing from too much torque. So we've never encountered problems. We've not seen this issue to date, but it's worth mentioning as it is a possibility even though it hasn't occured for us. If your pump "spins", you can send it in for a "pinning" - or you can send it in when you purchase the Overdrive to prevent this inherent problem from ruining your fun.

Some basic info: Your stock pump is currently geared at 85% of the engine RPM. At 3000 engine RPM, the pump shaft is spinning at 2550 RPM. We gear our standard Overdrive unit well under a 2:1 ratio. 66.66% to be exact. That is the ratio of the new pump speed vs. the old pump speed. The ratio pertains to the original drive gear of the pump - not to the engine. So, at 3000 engine RPM, your stock pump shaft speed was 2550 RPM. It will now be 1.67 x the 2550. So, it will now be spinning at 4259 RPMs when your engine is at 3000 RPMs. We're actually still running some testing to decide if the 25% model would be the best choice for the standard units for daily drivers when we release them for that. We'll know that very soon.

Here it is in a nutshell: YOU HAVE NO HPOP LIMITS ANYMORE. YOU CAN NOW HAVE AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE OIL AS YOU DESIRE - as long as you can feed it with low pressure oil. While it is incredible what the Overdrive now brings to the market, what everyone seems to be missing here is this: We can make small stroke pumps with small pistons, small stroke pumps with large pistons, large stroke pumps with small pistons, large stroke pumps with large pistons. Small, medium or large of everything. Then we can put any of those behind several choices of gearing. That is pretty incredible and we're very proud of it.

Note to forum engineers (just kidding): All of the theories, issues, or concerns lurking out there about dual systems or some other pump systems do not apply. I get bombarded with questions like how will the IPR handle it? How hot will the oil temps go, etc? We've never seen any of these strange issues on any of our pump solutions So, install the Overdrive, get ahold of your tuner to adjust the IPR tables and enjoy your new ride.

also copied from Dieselsite

jngreen

Reaction score
Now the really interesting stuff copied from dieselsite without the pictures because I'm lazy. If you want to see it how its published on the web look here: http://www.dieselsite.com/overdrive/additionalpics.html

OVERDRIVE PICS

THE ORIGINAL PROTOTYPE OVERDRIVE - July, 2008 FINAL UNIT - December, 2009

ORIGINAL PROTOTYPE INSTALL IN BOB'S 1999.5 SUPERDUTY OVERDRIVING HIS LATE MODEL HPOP

After several months of running the unit, 20+ additional prototypes with a few changes. The original units had LPOP feed lines for additional oil. An early failure on one of the units due to incorrect installation was enough for Bob to redesign the final units without the additional oil lines and without the need for them. There is no chance of this failure every repeating itself now but at the time rumors spread that the Overdrive had broken a pump on a truck that was running it. This was indeed that truck, but Bob caught a flight to personally uninstall the broken Overdrive unit and while he was at it he reinstalled said "broken" pump and had the truck running down the road in under 30 minutes.
RUMOR DISPELLED: NO PUMP HAS EVER FAILED BEHIND THE OVERDRIVE.

Beta Test Adrenaline (didn't even have ID stickers yet) with Prototype Overdrive in Nasty Cracker's 1997 OBS PSD

Below are a few photos of the newest prototype unit - notice oil lines were deleted from design - installed in Bob's 1996 Dually OBS.

PULSE WITH EARLY OVERDRIVE - in the original design of the Overdrive, the oil lines added for addtional LPOP feed. This was one setup that required them. THIS WAS WAY TOO BIG FOR FACTORY LPOP volumes. The volume from this setup is about three times larger than an early model pump. STUPID amounts of unneeded oil with his 295cc B-Codes.
Installed in Bob's 1999.5 SuperDuty in early 2009. After this setup was tested, Bob started a high volume LPOP prototype.

bpcheramie

Reaction score
THE ORIGINAL PROTOTYPE OVERDRIVE - July, 2008 FINAL UNIT - December, 2009

Ok I would say this is something that may never come out just because it has been almost 2 years that he has said it would be out.... Just me but is something has a 1.5 year of testing and then still not out on the market almost two years later maybe they must have some really big problems with it or the offer something else that they can get paid on that they would reather sell to you.... Now this is just how I look at it.... There are a lot of pumps out there why not try something that is known to work and not wait on something that may never be?

jngreen

Reaction score
Ok I would say this is something that may never come out just because it has been almost 2 years that he has said it would be out.... Just me but is something has a 1.5 year of testing and then still not out on the market almost two years later maybe they must have some really big problems with it or the offer something else that they can get paid on that they would reather sell to you.... Now this is just how I look at it.... There are a lot of pumps out there why not try something that is known to work and not wait on something that may never be?

Short answer, because I was curious about it, thats all. I just wanted to know what info was out there about it and if anyone on this site had any personal experience with it. I was hoping for a good discussion on this topic because there was once a time when everyone was kinda excited about it. I have even read a few good reviews on it, but that was back in 08 or 09. Something about the increased frequency of oil pressure or volume got even got some injector builders excited, if I remember correctly.

Side note: I'm not currently in the market for a high pressure oil pump system, but I might be one day. But, since I'm not currently spending any money, I didn't want to call up the extremely busy owner of Dieselsite and waste his time. He is the one who has the picture of it still in his avatar, so he must still believe in the potential of his product. So do I. Does that answer everyone's questions to why I started this thread?

Now, discuss...... even if its just theories or pixie dust.

bpcheramie

Reaction score
Just seems if he was going to release this pump he might have done it already..... There is no tome like the present to release a step between the pumps would you not say.

jngreen

Reaction score
Just seems if he was going to release this pump he might have done it already..... There is no tome like the present to release a step between the pumps would you not say.

It is an Overdrive. Its not a pump, thats the beauty of it. You reuse whatever stock pump you have laying around. You get a big oil system with the dependability of a stock hpop. Maybe, its still in testing. Maybe its dead. Thats kinda the point of this thread. Re-read the title.

Tom S

Reaction score
I bet a hydraulic engineer would have an idea right quick on that. I wonder if there is a sweat spot for RPM on this style of pump and a point of dimenishing returns.

Jake

Reaction score
wouldnt overdriving it make alot of heat, or airate the oil alot?

That is what I was concerned with. I would think oil shear would become more of an issue also. With higher speeds the pump will need a higher net positive suction head, with all the intake ports on the pump the same size but flowing more oil I would think cavitation would become an issue also. But for a race unit I dont know. Street does not sound like it is going to be a good idea on a stock pump.

bpcheramie

Reaction score
It is an Overdrive. Its not a pump, thats the beauty of it. You reuse whatever stock pump you have laying around. You get a big oil system with the dependability of a stock hpop. Maybe, its still in testing. Maybe its dead. Thats kinda the point of this thread. Re-read the title.

I would question how u would keep it dependable with running the stock pump faster? Do the stock turbos not fair when u run them harder? Do pmr not fail when you in them harder? Do stock trannys not fail when you run them harder? So how would running a stock pump that is running harder not fail also?

It just seems to me if you want more oil the best way to get it is with a bigger pump.... So if that was the case I would look at the others out there before I went a drop a 1000 on something to make my stock pump run harder..... Also what about like two others said heat and such on the oil?

jngreen

Reaction score
I really cant see it being any worse than two stock pumps eating on the oil, or a Gen 3 pumping way more oil than neccessary. Maybe I am wrong, but that is my thinking on it. I would think that it would be easier to more evenly match your hpop to your high pressure oil requirements, instead of just throwing way too much oil at it constantly. If I understand correctly, its usually not the pump that aireates the oil, it is the oilflow across the IPR(s).

According to Dieselsite, the pump is driven at less than 1:1 ratio in stock form. There are other International motors that drive the hpop faster in stock form. Here is a quick copy and paste

Some basic info: Your stock pump is currently geared at 85% of the engine RPM. At 3000 engine RPM, the pump shaft is spinning at 2550 RPM. We gear our standard Overdrive unit well under a 2:1 ratio. 66.66% to be exact. That is the ratio of the new pump speed vs. the old pump speed. The ratio pertains to the original drive gear of the pump - not to the engine. So, at 3000 engine RPM, your stock pump shaft speed was 2550 RPM. It will now be 1.67 x the 2550. So, it will now be spinning at 4259 RPMs when your engine is at 3000 RPMs. We're actually still running some testing to decide if the 25% model would be the best choice for the standard units for daily drivers when we release them for that. We'll know that very soon.

How would that be harder on the oil if it is driven less than 2:1 like twin stock pumps would be pumping?

jngreen

Reaction score
I would question how u would keep it dependable with running the stock pump faster? Do the stock turbos not fair when u run them harder? Do pmr not fail when you in them harder? Do stock trannys not fail when you run them harder? So how would running a stock pump that is running harder not fail also?

It just seems to me if you want more oil the best way to get it is with a bigger pump.... So if that was the case I would look at the others out there before I went a drop a 1000 on something to make my stock pump run harder..... Also what about like two others said heat and such on the oil?

I understand what you are getting at, but its been done in stock form in other applications. How many times have you actually seen a stock pump just up and fail.

Read the info, you aren't pushing it that much harder.

Maybe you are right, and the stock pump won't take it. That is exactly the info I am trying to find out.

I really like the idea.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Pump effiency would be a good place to start like said above oil sheer becomes an issue as well as bearing wear. Ect. I'm just asking but I know in my line of work rpms is critical on how a pump works

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I don't think pump failure is really the issue if you put air in the oil what's that do for the injectors? Just because your making 3k oil pressure if its got air in it its not going to.work that well

jngreen

Reaction score
Pump efficiency is one variable that I was not thinking about for some reason. I know a little about hydraulics and pump efficiency from what I learned from working on water and wastewater pumps for a few years. But that was more about sizing a pump to run at a set rpm to to flow what it was sized to flow. I guess I was just thinking that a pump that was used to operate over a wide rpm band, would probably be okay to spin a little faster to get a little more out of it. Its not like you are at max rpm a lot on a street truck anyway. But you are right, it would be something that needs to be looked at.

bpcheramie

Reaction score
Ok but why not go to a system that uses bigger internal parts to get ypu to a higher volume of oil? If we start looking at the way it is done then we have to think about what is being done to get you there. IE on most smaller pumps you are increasing the squash plate angle to get more oil out. So would that not make the unit wear quicker on some of the parts? On such as the termys when you are user two pumps to get the higher oil now you have more leak points and more parts that could break. So what you are pointing to now to get where you are going is more of what Gary did at stealth and that is to make the parts bigger to give you more oil. So with that in mind would that not fix the oil sheer problem and the heat and so on...... I am just on a quest as you are for better knowledge in the matter.

To say I am not running a bigger than stock pump now would be a lie. Yes I have one of the srp1 pumps on my truck now which does just what I ask it to do but I also have a project truck that I am working on and will be looking for a bigger oil for it so yes I am looking to run one of the big oil pumps so all of the info from threads such as this is helping me to make the correct choice in pumps. Too me for the price you pay for a new pump and then the overdrive it would be close to the price you pay for the big oil systems. The reason I say a new pump is because why put something that may not be running the best inn steroids to make it run faster.......

Tom S

Reaction score
I will toss out the IDE challenge to someone to find some good information on what are the prefered RPMS for this style of pump.

genie144

Reaction score
I think Tom's challenge is in regards to a stock 15 or 17 degree pump and the RPM that it operates most efficiently. That would then tell you if the Overdrive is truly overdriving a stock pump past it's comfort zone or whether it maybe moves it from being underdriven into the comfort zone...

Either way - I'd love to see more test data. I mean no offense... But I don't trust testemonial directly from someone trying to sell me something. I'd much rather hear it from the testers - which apparently there were ~20 or so? Also - more importantly - I would be interested in any DATA that they could provide. I don't give a rats ass if someones butt dyno says the truck ran better. I want to see the duty cycle, pressures, etc - that would tell the tale in a matter of minutes and words rather than the lengthy testemonials that don't actually say anything...

Sam