238/80's hazing at idle

Gearhead

Reaction score
so I wonder... if a tuner could write a file specifically for cold starts? more or less timing At 200 rpm ?

200 rpm is only cranking. You want slightly retarded timing compared to normal so the motor doesn't fight itself when it's cranking.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Cant watch it joe, for some reason on this forum I cant click on embedded videos. Is it on your fb page?

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
So is this completely normal? Nothing to worry about?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
so is that something that you do on your tunes anyway?

at -20 at 5500ft cold starts are always a PITA. Anything that could help would be a blessing

Took three friggin key cycles yesterday :doh: -22°f it still died then i hit the key and it fired righ up. Im going to do my uvch, gp's, and gp relay too.

mandkole

Reaction score
Mine looks about like Joes after first started at about 35... it will stay that way until I can get EGTs above 400.. Its got a tired GP or 3

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I wish my 7.3s would start that clean above 50°.

live life full throttle

Thats about 30-35*...

Mine looks about like Joes after first started at about 35... it will stay that way until I can get EGTs above 400.. Its got a tired GP or 3

Same here, but its worse now. I think its glow plugs for part of it, but it will have to wait until summer.

bigfords

Reaction score
How are you guys testing your glow plugs? I have always just used a test light, putting the lead on the Positive side of the battery and just probing each glow plug at the valve cover connector, if you have a good light, then you have good continuity to Ground through the glow plug. Legit?

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
How are you guys testing your glow plugs? I have always just used a test light, putting the lead on the Positive side of the battery and just probing each glow plug at the valve cover connector, if you have a good light, then you have good continuity to Ground through the glow plug. Legit?

The proper way to test them is to check each GP's resistance. I don't remember the acceptable resistance though.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Video of 300/200 cold start. No adjustments done to the Injection timing adder for EOT vs RPM. This was the factory setting for the Injection timing adder for EOT vs RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0-gY9F6dlY

I will do a couple more videos showing what the change is like adjusting the injection timing adder For Oil temp vs RPM map. I might or might not spell out how much each change is and where it was tweaked.

Sorry about the dirty Pickup! LOL

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thats about 30-35*...

Same here, but its worse now. I think its glow plugs for part of it, but it will have to wait until summer.

Yep. I figured it was that cold or colder. My 01 has a bad cylinder and the dually has always popped right off but it has always had a haze when below 50° on the first startup of the day.

live life full throttle

V-Ref

Reaction score
Gearhead Hydra tuning "All Out" tune
Unlimited 400cc/200% injs
18F air temp
12F oil temp
overnight, no plug, not driven in 5 days, truck has been driven 17 miles since HG replacement, probably still have some air in the HPO sys.

i-pHc8qzf-M.jpg

After 5 minutes of idleing (Gearhead "Whisper" tune)
i-2WS5NJ5-M.jpg

Gearheads Hydra tuning with the new 4 line is the best my truck has idled...ever. I'm sure other tuners have idle figured out too, just posting my experience. The reason for the engine compartment shot, is to show no "shake, rattle, and roll" like I've had before....he'll probably say it's the same tables, and he didn't change a thing now :) ....but I'm just sayin'

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Whats the line going to the hpo reservoir?

Your truck is about in the same condition as mine. Underhood is where all the candy is at,lol.

That thing idles exceptionally well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.