5r110 out 4r100 in

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Hoping to have it running tmw and get it tuned in if the input shaft for transfer case comes from ford tmw

TyCorr

Reaction score
why would you build a 4r and not the 5r that came in it? just for the helluva it?

He wants something that'll hold. The 5r is better than a stock 4r but when it comes to building an everything but the kitchen sink trans, there isnt enough meat in that TS case to do anything. The 4r is better in this way. That getting the 5r to let go of one gear and grab another in perfect time is somewhat more complicated than the 4r.

For racing, build for build, the 4r is gonna take it better.

JDub

Reaction score
As long as that PCS is tuned correctly that trans will do just fine...8.51@166 with a BTS 4R100 without an issue

Dzchey21

Reaction score
As long as that PCS is tuned correctly that trans will do just fine...8.51@166 with a BTS 4R100 without an issue

Not saying it's not gunman work but that's alot less weight then craigs truck. But at least we know it will shift

JDub

Reaction score
Not saying it's not gunman work but that's alot less weight then craigs truck. But at least we know it will shift

The trans in that car is being asked a lot with the rate of acceleration and short rpm window, regardless of weight. Should work awesome behind that 6.4 power plant.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Strangely enough, so am I. I dont know any of you guys, never seen this rig in person but Im pretty geeked over this. 4Rs for the big boys too.!!

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
well that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say the 5r is a piece of crap. no hate...just curious about it.

Craig is in the 900-1000 HP range. The 5R doesn't seem to like that range, especially when it needs to put that power to the ground going down the track pass after pass.

Some 5R's seem to hold up decent though. Doesn't Shawn Ellerton still have an NADP built 5R behind his truck?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
with the pcs it will do what you want, when you tell it too, but that takes a lot of trial and error. tuning the PCS should be a guided process for the first time, by somebody with lots of experience. They are finnicky bastages. some people can probaly nail it quick, but im sure WOP and Swamps will tell you different.

The 4R has the most hard parts available. Aside from the 5R not being a good listener when its told what to do, there are certain parts you just can't build for such an electronic transmission, like an Allison. Aside from the WOP dragster and scotty's truck, this will be cool to see in a very high hp, heavyweight truck.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Hope this works out, especially for you guys wearing big boy pants. Since the 4R has less electronics (solenoids) it should really be more consistent and that extra room means more bigr strogr stuff?

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Yes. Brian claims you can shift the trans fast enough where it can be in two different gears at the same time. Of course you wouldnt want to do that. He gave me a half hour long speel about how the 5r110 was inferior to the older technology 4r100 while he was building mine, ive been curious to see when someone was going to "step back" and put one behind the 6.4, good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.