6.4 vs 6.7

ncollins64

Reaction score
Give elite, Rudys, or river city diesel a call. I think there all great shops and all three of them would be glad to help you out with anything you need.

gman1

Reaction score
Are there any shops you'd recommend I talk to? Elite, Rudy's, Spartan...? I'm in Southern California so local would be preferable but I'm going to be doing business with the vendors.

I know my desires are somewhat unusual but detuning it for towing should hopefully be enough to keep reliability up. I'd really like to have a larger atmospheric turbo, something like the Gtx4508r (inspired by user younger19931) but run it with a high pressure that is capable of spooling at towing RPM's as well. I know there needs to be a decent boost mapping relationship between the two turbos but that is where I'm still doing research. I think I've ruled the 6.7 out at this point, as aftermarket power is of high importance to me.

I just looked but have not seen anything about the Raw Power setup from Elite yet. I'm impressed people are still making modifications for this engine, is this the case?

When you say "back the pw down for towing", I'm assuming you are referring to pulse width?

Beyond that, I'm going to take care of this truck pretty well, she'll have a lot of downtime so I'll have to buy her some toys to keep her entertained... :D

Elites raw power turbos http://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14002015/Raw-Power-Compounds/

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I just read a little of the thread. I will give you my take of towing on a tuned 6.4.
They are an animal. I love mine.
Now it was posted people towing on the 310 spartan tune. Which they might do it but there is a huge difference between a 10,000 tag trailer and a 18000+ tall fiver.
Now that is great and you mentioned towing a 42' fiver and in live in CA. If you live any place near me then you have some good grades to climb, do not tow on anything more than in the 150 range with a stock trans, reason below.
Corb and I have pretty much the same fiver and I am sure he will agree with me on this.
I now only tow on the tow tune from Innovative. Reason is I was towing on the Street tune and the truck was a beast. Set cruise and it would never down shift even over 7-8+% grades. Now here is the problem, you start to know how much power the truck has, as in you get slowed down by a big rig over that grade and decide to pass in the passing lane while going up it. Well the truck decides to shift into high gear. The tranny in these trucks are strong, but not many will hold 50+PSI of boost and shift in high gear. I know that is a small reason just be aware of it. Mine is fine have towed since then, but I will not tow the 42' fiver on anything but the tow tune going over grades. 10,000# yes I dont care what tune is in it, even the Xtreme Street is fine. But a tall 42' fiver nope. Now with more air and a built trans hell yes I would.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
700hp 6.4 that tows will most likely have some major issues. Tuned 6.7 gets my vote.

a 700hp 6.4 that doesn't tow will most likely have some minor issues. Enough to make most folk not want to rely on one as a daily. ANY 700hp truck will

JMO

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
I daily my 6.4 and tow with it often. it's having zero issues, 71/59 compounds, nozzles, etc. BUT my father has a tuned 6.7. and it makes mine look stupid when hooked to 15-20k. the 6.7 is just more reliable, more comfortable, and a great overall DD. even with the money I have in my 6.4 I'd trade for a 6.7 today. 6.7s with a non vgt and dual fuelers are making 600+hp.. that's stock trans and studs. 600 is more than enough power to live with if you want that.

Eric@HoldersDiesel

jdgleason

Reaction score
a 700hp 6.4 that doesn't tow will most likely have some minor issues. Enough to make most folk not want to rely on one as a daily. ANY 700hp truck will

JMO

I disagree with this. If you do your homework and have parts to support the power level, I could see 700 being easily as reliable as stock.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
I will stay in a 6.4. The biggest thing with driving/towing a modded anything, is driving/towing with your head and not your a$$. Know when to back out of it. As much fun as it is to pull a 6-8% grade grossing close to 30,000lbs at 70mph, the vehicle is not designed to do it. Stock or tuned. I tow my fifth wheel with Street all the time but when on big grades I let the truck slow a bit and pull it in 4th. Way easier on the trans and engine. Up shift after the crest. Close to 100,000miles tuned and it has never seen the inside of a shop (knock on wood). All stock with upgraded turbos. I think +700hp daily drivers can be reliable as stock as long as you are smart about it.

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
I daily my 6.4 and tow with it often. it's having zero issues, 71/59 compounds, nozzles, etc. BUT my father has a tuned 6.7. and it makes mine look stupid when hooked to 15-20k. the 6.7 is just more reliable, more comfortable, and a great overall DD. even with the money I have in my 6.4 I'd trade for a 6.7 today. 6.7s with a non vgt and dual fuelers are making 600+hp.. that's stock trans and studs. 600 is more than enough power to live with if you want that.

Eric@HoldersDiesel

I think its safe to say a tune only 6.4 making 600hp will **** on a 600hp non vgt 6.7 when it comes to towing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Taking the trans into account... The 6.7 will be better simply due to the fact that you can select and hold your gear keeping the single fully lit. Now a 6.4 with upgraded compounds coupled to the 6R140? That would be simply amazing.

Last edited:

jdgleason

Reaction score
I agree with Chris and strokin.

Heavyhaul on here drags 35,000+ around behind his 450 with elite tow x turbos and a stock transmission. He has well over 100k on the trans as well.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I agree with Chris and strokin.

Heavyhaul on here drags 35,000+ around behind his 450 with elite tow x turbos and a stock transmission. He has well over 100k on the trans as well.

He is also spinning 4.88s.... And ask Wil, he will tell ya, that he rathers towing with the 6.7..... A STOCK 6.7.....

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I will stay in a 6.4. The biggest thing with driving/towing a modded anything, is driving/towing with your head and not your a$$. Know when to back out of it. As much fun as it is to pull a 6-8% grade grossing close to 30,000lbs at 70mph, the vehicle is not designed to do it. Stock or tuned. I tow my fifth wheel with Street all the time but when on big grades I let the truck slow a bit and pull it in 4th. Way easier on the trans and engine. Up shift after the crest. Close to 100,000miles tuned and it has never seen the inside of a shop (knock on wood). All stock with upgraded turbos. I think +700hp daily drivers can be reliable as stock as long as you are smart about it.
Dont disagree with you other than when you are between gears. I dont pull at 70 I live in CA so everything is 55-63 range. So if you are getting much above 45 you should be close to OD or the rpm is pretty high, at least in my truck. When i let the truck down shift and the rpm comes up is when everything heats up. Stay in high gear, everything is much cooler. You can also control it to stay in 4th with your foot, that is what I was trying to do but I lifted a little and it shifted. I wish we could hold the gears.

Last edited:

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
My temps(oil,coolant) would get warm but never hot pulling some long grades through the mountains but if they get too high the fan kicks in to drop them. Egts are and always wil be my primary concern. I got ahold of Matt at GH to build me some tunes that would extend my 4-5th shift to pull hills easier. Made a huge difference doing 55-60mph in forth with the converter locked.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
EGT's on mine have always been fine, more so with Intercooler. My problems with RPM are EOT, ECT, and Tranny start to heat up. Not bad and the fan cools them down but higher than my liking. 55-60 my truck is screaming. I have 4.88's.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I disagree with this. If you do your homework and have parts to support the power level, I could see 700 being easily as reliable as stock.

based on everybody I see at that power level, I think that's the exception and not the rule. There's always something you're chasing until you've spent the $40k or whatever to get it to that level and by that time they're usually looking to sell the truck

just what I've observed over the years

Latest posts

Members online