6.4ltr with a 4R pros and cons please

ingrahams

Reaction score
I think I will be going the 4R route mostly for the tuning, I will be running a big single or non VGT compounds from MPD with 100% overs so to make it fairly street friendly i need to have complete control of the shifting.
-Stew

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I just don't see the 5r surviving...all the time with the 6.0s and now the 6.4...with high Hp applications it is just not something currently feasable

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Shawn Ellerton is well into the 4 digit numbers on his 5r. I would think Matt Moroni is too.

Its been done, it would just take more time as said previously the 4R is a simpler trans.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Shawn Ellerton is well into the 4 digit numbers on his 5r. I would think Matt Moroni is too.

Its been done, it would just take more time as said previously the 4R is a simpler trans.

We did the same thing with whitey, BUT, had to rebuild it every event, so i wouldnt go saying its reliable. And it shifted like complete a$$

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Clutches. With a lockup switch it shifted fine. But went through converters a lot quicker

EEEEEHHHHHH powered by this (╯°□°)╯

Jhaddox

Reaction score

Shawn, yes

Matt, iirc is running a 47 or 48 out of a dodge now

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Shawn, yes

Matt, iirc is running a 47 or 48 out of a dodge now

I see, Didnt MPD try a 47re in king kong as well ?

Right out the hole

I tried lockup in first and found my 0-60MPH was a few tenths slower via my datalog (PCS) vs locking up coming into 2nd.

There is definately more to drag racing then flooring it.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
47 lasted not as long as the 4r. We went from a 10.86 without the lockup switch and the same day went 10.46 with it

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Locking the converter at the right time will pass 10-15% more torque from the engine to the transmission. Locking too soon can CUT the torque by at least 25%.

When I was engineering these things I plotted tractive effort (the force the wheels exert against the pavement) in each gear with the torque converter locked and unlocked. Then I locked the converter at the speed where the lines intersected.

At lower RPM when the torque converter has a large amount of slip it is creating torque. There is more torque out of the torque converter than the engine is putting into the torque converter. If you want to see how, go to www.howstuffworks.com and look up how a torque converter works.

Once the RPM comes up the torque multiplication goes away and now the converter is just a fluid coupling that is losing about 10-15% of the torque the engine is putting into the converter. That's when locking up makes sense.

AllanB

Reaction score
Dayum, I have been in Brazil and locked out of PSA for 2 weeks, something to do with the security settings here. Didn't get to read any of this till now. But in the mean time I had already decided on the 4R100.
Well this post struck up some good debate and some great info. Thanks for all the info. It is looking like January before I can get a build date for the BTS 4R. I will let you guys know how it is when I get it in there, with some fat slicks, and Caltracs under it. As far as the PCS goes, I am understanding that Brian has this pretty much mastered except the cruise and the shift indicator. Which I am not worried about either. I can pull the gear shift down, click once(wants to go backward)click #2(doesn't want to do anything)click #3 and we're off(doesn't sound real difficult to me) As far as the cruise. If I were worried about staying the speed limit, we wouldn't have ever had this conversation lol. Thanks again for the info guys.

AllanB

Reaction score
Best of luck to you boys on that. My bad experiences with a 4r have my opinion tainted, but it sounds like they can be built to hold.

That is the reason I ask about the 4R100. The trans that went out didn't have 15k on it. Of course it was a stock trans. But this is a 2wd, and up until this point I have never had a set of slicks on it. Nor anything else that would grab traction. I am still baffled as to why this trans burnt up. The stock trans in my 6.0 lasted a long time before it gave up. I was doing 4wd launches with nitrous to come on at WOT.
The one in the 6.4 didn't see much abuse at all. Just around town I had gotten where I wouldn't even mash on it unless I was running 30mph or more. I just come to the conclusion that is to much $$$ to put in it and have problems. That and I had a little help from Brian at BTS and Cary aka(OBSWIZ)making the decision. Plus all of the folks on here that posted on this thread.
Good luck with your 5R110. I have had good success with the one I had built by Brian in my 6.0ltr. No problems yet

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
if youre making enough power to need a 4r100 its a no brainer, at that level the loss of the tqshifts 2nd gear isnt going to matter and the longer 1st gear will be an advantage. the correct converter will make all the difference in the world.

AllanB

Reaction score
if youre making enough power to need a 4r100 its a no brainer, at that level the loss of the tqshifts 2nd gear isnt going to matter and the longer 1st gear will be an advantage. the correct converter will make all the difference in the world.

Well, I am not near that level just yet. But that is why I don't understand the 5R swallowing it a$$ with such few miles. But on the other hand, it was a warrany trans. So maybe Ford uses remans for warranty and something was wrong with the build. I don't know, all I do know is I had a lot more success with my 5R in my 6.0ltr.
But in the end, this will more than likely turn out to be a race truck for the strip only. So I do believe the 4R will be the best route for me. Thanks for the post.

Latest posts

Members online