6.4ltr with a 4R pros and cons please

powersmokin64

Reaction score
They weren't built both stock that's why I said I am sure they can be built to be strong. Stock tranny lasted 75k and the other one was bought online that lasted 2k before the reverse went out. I'm not knocking them. I just think stock to stock the 5r's are more durable imho. Built to built I have no comparison or experience with both to even make a guess.

MINK

Reaction score
They weren't built both stock that's why I said I am sure they can be built to be strong. Stock tranny lasted 75k and the other one was bought online that lasted 2k before the reverse went out. I'm not knocking them. I just think stock to stock the 5r's are more durable imho. Built to built I have no comparison or experience with both to even make a guess.

Stock to stock the 5r wins hands down. Now both being built is a different story. 5r's can be a pain.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I wanted to bump this up after breaking a shaft (don't know which one yet) today under only marginal throttle. I'm entertaining the idea of a 4r since I'll be adding a decent amount of more hp soon and the 5r will be out anyways.

Does this swap set any wrench lights of any sort? They wouldn't bother me but with our state inspections here they frown upon lights telling you things are wrong. LOL

jdgleason

Reaction score
I wanted to bump this up after breaking a shaft (don't know which one yet) today under only marginal throttle. I'm entertaining the idea of a 4r since I'll be adding a decent amount of more hp soon and the 5r will be out anyways.

Does this swap set any wrench lights of any sort? They wouldn't bother me but with our state inspections here they frown upon lights telling you things are wrong. LOL

Constant wrench light and no cruise.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Constant wrench light and no cruise.

:whs:

Seems to be an "upgrade" geared more toward a competition only truck. Not sure I could deal with that mess on a daily basis. I hate seeing any kind of light. Thank goodness I'm pre-TPMS sensors. :D

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I'm not to concerned with no cruise or gear indicator but the wrench light is a deciding factor for me unfortunately. They do OBD testing here and not sure if tranny codes would cause them to fail it for inspection.

Time to throw more billet in the 5r unfortunately...

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
If its the input that broke put a Bts shaft in it and you won't have to worry about that

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I hope it's the input. It has a billet input already so I'm leaning towards it being intermediate unfortunately but thanks for the advice.

AllanB

Reaction score
Just got back from a month at work. As usual I can't sign on to PSA while there, so catching up with this thread now. Lot of good information came out of this thread. The 4R100 just arrived yesterday, so we will see how it works out. I didn't know about the wrench light. Not that it would have changed my mind. The problem I had with the 5r110 I believe was due to wheel spin. I am changing several things on the rear suspension to improve that, but if I am on the street with street tires, I am sure I will still have the same problem, regardless of what I do. Well unless I run DOT rated slicks. No since in my sinking over $5K in another trans that I am sure will not hold up. When then tires break loose, and then catch, and then break loose. That is to much for the 5R110 to keep up with, due to changing the wheel speed so drastically. Not knocking the 5R at all. I have a BTS 5R in my 04 and haven't had a minutes problem. But it is a 4X4 so no wheel spin issues. Mark Kavolsky explained it perfectly. I was not aware of exactly how the 5R110 works. But if you go back and read what he said on the 2nd page. Imagine that right there happening with excessive wheel spin. The trans is upshifting, then around 40mph it catches pay dirt, and all goes to hell in a hand basket. Like he said, whatever the outcome, it isn't a good feling.
I also understand that the 4R100 for 4X4 trucks. Brian is working on(should have by now) a output shaft that will mate up directly to the 5R110 TC.
I guess in the end it comes down to personal choice. After burning up a new trans in less than 15k miles. I just could not justify buying another 5R110. Not when the most power level I am running is the X race tune, intake, DP, and exhaust. I know you gotta pay to play. But I need to stretch that play period out a little further than 15k miles for stock power level. Thanks for all the info. I will post back up when I get it going and let you all know how it drives, pulls, and most of all. How it handles wheel spin :fustrate:
BTW, that price I gave at the first of this thread turned out to be a about $1300 higher. Thought I would let y'all know that just to keep anyone from feeling like they are not getting a good deal because I misquoted the price.

Last edited:

AllanB

Reaction score
I am getting the 3.55's on a swap for my 3.73's. I have already thought about going a little higher. But seeing these are not going to cost me anything, I will give them a shot first. If I am still running through the first 3 gears to quick I will go with 3.31's. Also depends on track time and where my rpm's are at when I cross the line.

BFT

Reaction score
Bumping this back up. I'm planning on swapping my zf6 to an auto (most likely 4r with a PCS) ill be keeping my factory gauge cluster since there will be no shifter indicator. Would I have to use the 5r tranny wiring harness? Would the linkage I need be for the 4r or 5r? Will the cooler lines from a 5r mate up with a 4r?

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Bumping this back up. I'm planning on swapping my zf6 to an auto (most likely 4r with a PCS) ill be keeping my factory gauge cluster since there will be no shifter indicator. Would I have to use the 5r tranny wiring harness? Would the linkage I need be for the 4r or 5r? Will the cooler lines from a 5r mate up with a 4r?

I know the cooler lines mate up...pretty sure you don't need the 5r harness since the pcs doesnt tap into any parts of the trans harness...I plan to swap to a manual pcm soon on mine to see if the wrench light goes away...all you tap onto is (+) (-) key on, throttle position and I think 2 wires on the cam posotioning sensor IIRC craig explained it to me the other week

Not sure on the linkage though

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BFT

Reaction score
So no harness at all? I'm thinking the same as you since mine is a manual since its flashed to be a manual, the 4r would be controlled by the PCS. Are you still suing the 5r flex plate?

Latest posts

Members online