6 Liter Turbo Talk

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
a 71mm wheel on a 62mm charger... I would make sure you have a back pressure gauge to keep an eye on drive pressures

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
But there's a point where you go to small on the housing where that's the choking point and not the wheel size, if your looking to tow, street lite to street light racing the 65 will be your best friend, if your looking for top end hp, very limited towing, 71 will move some air. These things don't spool chargers like duracraps or cummins, so your buddy with a cummins who's spooling a 66/74/80 like a stock ford turbo is the wrong guy to listen to for turbos on your 6L. Not saying we're right but we have been down thta road. Yes a 66/74/80 make awesome power in the top end but you won't tow very well with it

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
a 71mm wheel on a 62mm charger... I would make sure you have a back pressure gauge to keep an eye on drive pressures

Is this experiance talking. A 65 wheel with in the inter gates with a 62 wheel is a nice match with no back pressure issues. So a 71 wheel will have even less from there

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
No experience here just going by what i've seen. A 62 with a the 65 wheel gated is obviously a proven setup, i've just never seen a 62 with a 71 wheel before. Have you run one?

Dieselroller

Reaction score
New to turbo talk! Is there some where I can go to learn more about turbos so I can figure out exactly what you guys are talking about. I get a little of it, just been out of the loop for a few years

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I've never seen a 62/71 that was a mistype. But is that a possibilty?

Right now I'm looking at a 64/71 with a divided .76 I believe.
Than you get into the talk, is a billet wheel worth the money or will cast be just fine?

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
Yes I've run a 62/71 with both .70ar and .80ar. Ran great with the .70ar, but was to laggy for towing heavy. My dually has a trailer almost permantly attached to her a$$ heaviest load was 21 000lbs so far. Two superdutys on a 40 ft fifth wheel trailer and towed it 500miles with no issues. That's why I like the 62/65/80 with diverter valve as the high pressure

Dieselroller

Reaction score
What is ICP? And what do you mean by 62/65/80? I'm guessing those are measurements of wheels and housing. I have always had a 96 7.3l and until lately they didn't make to much for them. Now I have an 06 6L so I need to start learning mote about it!

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Yes I've run a 62/71 with both .70ar and .80ar. Ran great with the .70ar, but was to laggy for towing heavy. My dually has a trailer almost permantly attached to her a$$ heaviest load was 21 000lbs so far. Two superdutys on a 40 ft fifth wheel trailer and towed it 500miles with no issues. That's why I like the 62/65/80 with diverter valve as the high pressure
So Shawn with 205s would you go 62/71 or 64/71 and what is the draw back of either? More lag with the 64?
Both would be a .76 divided incase I add a diverter later.

Most weight this truck will ever see is 10-12k but want to keep it a good dd around town or at least droveable without blacking out a street.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
Lag would be the same with a 62 or a 64. If u are trying to tow 10k in the heat of texas around 1800-2000rpm in overdrive you will hate that 71 wheel.

62/65/80 mean 62 compressor wheel, 65 is your exhaust wheel and 80 is the ar of your exhaust housing hope this helps.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
So what is the benefit or negative affect of running a larger or smaller compressor housing? More cfm flow?

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Shawn, thank you for taking the time to lay all that out. That is extremely valuable info!

Here's a link for those that may be looking to bone up on turbo basics.--->http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/tech_center.html

There's a bunch of info there to help get a persons head around these details. From there it's all about learning the intracacies of our specific application which this thread is doing an awesome job of getting into with the help of those guys that have been there, done that.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I've seen it commented on but why is the powerstroke the retarded kid that cannot spool a turbo? Is it the firing order, design etc... Obviously it isn't something that can be fixed so we basically have to work around that issue right?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.