6 Liter Turbo Talk

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Can one not have the best of both worlds? Fast spool and good race combo? How bad would it smoke DD'ing with a 64 sec?

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
Can one not have the best of both worlds? Fast spool and good race combo? How bad would it smoke DD'ing with a 64 sec?

Goin from a 66 to a 64 won't change nothing for spool up. Its mostly in the exhaust side. I have a 62/65/80 with a diverter vale and a s480 with 205's and love it. Goin to be putting in a 40mm gate to bypass the 62 now that I can put it on the race file. That combe had enough hp that a stock trans won't hold the race file.

What's the biggest reason guys get rid of there 6L after they mod it. They went to BIG on the chragers and then it wasn't fun to drive anymore, very smokey, they get on here saying how its the best in the worLd how it makes so much power bla bla bla. They might hit a dyno but never the track and if they do its slow times whineing how they had a bad 60ft cause they couldn't get on top of the turbo, but yet the day before they were bragging how it works great. Do you think if my dually was a laggy smkoey whore, I'd still have it, tow 20 000 lbs with it with 600hp on tap on the street file which iss what I tow with. I don't do that cause I put way to big of turbo on there. Big turbos or laggy turbos are for competition use. NO BODY likes a laggy big. Your buddy with a 6.4 pulls up to you on the hwy. You beat him at hwy speeds great. Now you come to a set of light and he smokes your a$$ cause you have bad turbo lag. Which is cooler

Sorry for the rant but this is the truth and this is why guys build and sell there trucks. Cause it wasn't what they thought it was goin to be

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Goin from a 66 to a 64 won't change nothing for spool up. Its mostly in the exhaust side. I have a 62/65/80 with a diverter vale and a s480 with 205's and love it. Goin to be putting in a 40mm gate to bypass the 62 now that I can put it on the race file. That combe had enough hp that a stock trans won't hold the race file.

What's the biggest reason guys get rid of there 6L after they mod it. They went to BIG on the chragers and then it wasn't fun to drive anymore, very smokey, they get on here saying how its the best in the worLd how it makes so much power bla bla bla. They might hit a dyno but never the track and if they do its slow times whineing how they had a bad 60ft cause they couldn't get on top of the turbo, but yet the day before they were bragging how it works great. Do you think if my dually was a laggy smkoey whore, I'd still have it, tow 20 000 lbs with it with 600hp on tap on the street file which iss what I tow with. I don't do that cause I put way to big of turbo on there. Big turbos or laggy turbos are for competition use. NO BODY likes a laggy big. Your buddy with a 6.4 pulls up to you on the hwy. You beat him at hwy speeds great. Now you come to a set of light and he smokes your a$$ cause you have bad turbo lag. Which is cooler

Sorry for the rant but this is the truth and this is why guys build and sell there trucks. Cause it wasn't what they thought it was goin to be

Rant appreciated. I don't want laggy crap. I wont be selling the truck either I just have to get it right hopefully the first time. Which is why Im glad your posting in here. You know. So you have 600hp How much could it have in it on an all out tune? How much all out with spray?

strokin6L

Reaction score
No the tow truck wasn't holding icp, 3000 was themost it would hold, down sized them to 205 and now it holds 4000 and pulls way harder. The only way 225s will make more power than 205 is if you use nitrous. Other wise fuel only you want to maintain 4000 for maximum injection pressure.

As for turbos 64 and a s480 or 483billet or for you bat month wheel fans, bullseye has a 78. If you want a fun street toy, your gonna want togo 71 wheel with a .70ar with diverter valve which is a 12cm housing, a .80 is a 14cm. A lot of dodge guys go with the 13cm stainless housing with oversize internal gates. Theses chargers with 205's will be more than you could imagine (until u get used to it and want more lol) this setup is not for a guy who tows lots of heavy as far as I'm concerned. I do a lot of towing and nothing erks me more than turbo lag and blowing black smoke,high egts. That's why in my tow truck I have a 62
Shawn, i'm assuming you dont have a modded FICM on the tow truck? Only reason i ask is because i have ID's moderate FICM and it only will display a HPOP reading up to little over 1500psi. Now if i turn it back to stock HPOP reading will be normal. Eric told me that it's because of the tuned FICM mixed with the tuning. Just wondering if your tow truck has a modded FICM.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
thats the why i was asking about running a smaller secondary. maybe small wastegated exhaust housing with a big external gate or a little bigger housing with a diverter valve and still a large external gate. then run a big primary. mid-high 80mm. gate around the secondary and drive the primary hard. put it in it's sweet spot where it's putting out a lot of CFM and keep the secondary within it's map too. best of both.

Garrett

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
I have tryed 3 different ficm and have eric's in there now, I have a hard gause right on the rails

strokin6L

Reaction score
I have tryed 3 different ficm and have eric's in there now, I have a hard gause right on the rails

I love eric's FICM. So did you drill a hole in the valve cover and just thread a fitting into one of the ports on one of the high pressure oil rails? I know your's is an '05-07 style, but i'm sure it'll work on the '03- early '04's right?

YoungMT Hick

Reaction score
Shawn, i'm assuming you dont have a modded FICM on the tow truck? Only reason i ask is because i have ID's moderate FICM and it only will display a HPOP reading up to little over 1500psi. Now if i turn it back to stock HPOP reading will be normal. Eric told me that it's because of the tuned FICM mixed with the tuning. Just wondering if your tow truck has a modded FICM.

This is what i am running into following my injector install. I can only hit 1530ish with the xtreme street tune and a mild ficm tune. I put the truck back to stock and i can hit 3500 icp. So this is normal? Then the only way to read rear icp is off a gage?

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
There is a trick as said by a few of the tune writers where they trick the computer into upping the hpo by fooling the pcm with icp values. So you could still use the icp value as voltage (shawn at one time said 4000psi is close to 5v) or a manual gauge. I don't remember what the kpa? Or something along that lines was but if you knew the x factor you could figure out psi based on the value the computer sees. Matt at gear head referenced this a few weeks ago in a thread and eric also referenced it in a thread a year or more ago on psn.

strokin6L

Reaction score
This is what i am running into following my injector install. I can only hit 1530ish with the xtreme street tune and a mild ficm tune. I put the truck back to stock and i can hit 3500 icp. So this is normal? Then the only way to read rear icp is off a gage?

yeah, a low/inaccurate ICP reading is normal when running a tuned FICM. I guess the Only way to read real ICP is take the tuned FICM off or do like Shawn did and install a hard/mechanical gauge and get the reading right from the high pressure oil rail under the valve cover. I have a dakota digital gauge and it displays the same reading an the ISSPRO gauge when tuned and when stock. When stock tuned...the Dakota Digital gauge and the ISSPRO will be accurate, but when tuned....both of them will only read as high as 1560ish. I think i remember eric at Innovative Diesel tellin me he doesn't like the autometer HPOP gauge cause he's had some that didnt work right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online