6 Liter Turbo Talk

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Yeah you can, and I guess it's our heads, even though we have the same flow as a 6.4 and they spool a lot better with their displacement

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
There have been a few discussions about that in the past. I believe the general concensus was that the 6.0 cam profile is tuned towards a VGT charger which doesn't really help when trying to spool a non-VGT charger.

The heads and intake don't help either.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
The only cam that seems to have anyone talking good about it is colt cams. None of the others seem to work in a 6.0 and I have never seen any dyno results that would hint in the boost from the cam. I guess it would be to much to ask for some one to build a decent flowing head. They could easily sell it to 6.0 and 6.4 guys and as long as they improved the cracking issues and warpage problems with the stockers it would just be a no brainer... There are intake manifolds but the heads are the boat anchor. For the 6.4 I think they are really just sizing the turbo right and not really improving anything. They seems from reading to have the potential for terrible drive pressure and iirc the 6.4 uses a vvt in one of the turbos.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Why is the cam different, just an upgrade when they made the 6.4 or something to do with the hpfp?

The only cam that seems to have anyone talking good about it is colt cams. None of the others seem to work in a 6.0 and I have never seen any dyno results that would hint in the boost from the cam.
The discussions I'm referring to were centered around the stock cam. It was in a discussion a year or two ago over on the nation. If memory serves (which it usually doesn't) the discussion was buried in a thread that had nothing to do with cams. I do remember Matt (Gearhead) and maybe a couple other tuners were in on the discussion. I believe Shawn and Tyler chipped in their .02 as well. I think Doug came out of hiding for a few words too. I'm too lazy to wanna try and dig up the thread right now.

In a nutshell, the LSA and overlap specs of a 6.0 cam are not friendly to a non-VGT charger. The cam has a tremendous affect on the exhaust pulses which in turn has a tremendous effect on spoolability.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
OK, I think we hit the basics for the high pressure charger. Same principals apply if using it as a single, no? What about sizing the athmospheric to the HP?

What type of attributes are we looking at in the HP to select a suitable athmospheric? It it wheel size? Compressor housing size? Exhaust housing size? CFM? Or a convoluted combination of all the above?

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
The discussions I'm referring to were centered around the stock cam. It was in a discussion a year or two ago over on the nation. If memory serves (which it usually doesn't) the discussion was buried in a thread that had nothing to do with cams. I do remember Matt (Gearhead) and maybe a couple other tuners were in on the discussion. I believe Shawn and Tyler chipped in their .02 as well. I think Doug came out of hiding for a few words too. I'm too lazy to wanna try and dig up the thread right now.

In a nutshell, the LSA and overlap specs of a 6.0 cam are not friendly to a non-VGT charger. The cam has a tremendous affect on the exhaust pulses which in turn has a tremendous effect on spoolability.

Gotcha, I was wondering what was fords reasoning to change the cam from 07 to 08.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
66/74/.80 and 83/96/1.32

And use a bd diverter valve. Min injector to use will be a 205cc with 100% nozzles. I'd even look at elite hybrids that have the same oil piston travel as a 205cc. Know a couple guys with those and they fueled hard
a

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
But I can't stress enough that you won't like spool up. I don't want you coming back here saying they said it would be great. Cause it won't be. But it will go fast

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
And use a bd diverter valve. Min injector to use will be a 205cc with 100% nozzles. I'd even look at elite hybrids that have the same oil piston travel as a 205cc. Know a couple guys with those and they fueled hard
a

Why does everyone want to go with such a larger secondary? A cummins can do 900+ at the wheels with a 62, external gate, and a large primary. It will have better driveablity with the smaller secondary too.

Garrett
Probably getting paid at work to post this from my D1

Dieselroller

Reaction score
Been reading on the Garret site. Not to hard to understand but my math skills suck! Still reading and learning. Quick ? Though.. Pulled off my intercooler pipe from the turbo and there was a little bit of oil in it , is this ok or norm or is a seal or bearing blown?

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Been reading on the Garret site. Not to hard to understand but my math skills suck! Still reading and learning. Quick ? Though.. Pulled off my intercooler pipe from the turbo and there was a little bit of oil in it , is this ok or norm or is a seal or bearing blown?

If the CCV is still hooked up to the intake, it is normal.

Garrett

Probably getting paid at work to post this from my D1

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.