600hp was fun but boring. Going bigger!

dthompson

Reaction score
Hey, Chris what I usually do on our engines to put them on is either get a longer bolt or stud that screws in the crank then use a nut and large washer to run the balancer on. Basically not using the threads in the crank to pull it on. If you can get the old bolt out might be able to get a new one in deep enough to get it to work. If that doesn't make sense give me a call.... Also I've heard of people heating balancers up to get them to go on easier. Worth a try....

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
David that is my plan if I can get the dang bolt out. I'll get a long stud to screw in there and run a nut down on it. Hopefully when it's all said and done I'll still have enough threads to tighten it down.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Anyone on here have specs for the pulley bolt. Ran around Wichita all morning an ford won't give me metric specs. And no one carries it. Going to try and find a longer one for vanderchevy for the pulley.
Its going to probably be mtric

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
7.3 Whitey/Jon came out today and helped me. Pulled the fans and radiator and got an impact on the bolt and got it out. The threads on the bolt were messed up. Not the crank. Good news there. I have 3 or 4 new stock bolts so no issue there. The ATI just flat out won't go on far enough. Tomorrow I think I'm just going to toss the stock one back on and call it good. That way I can just use my stock belt too. Screw it. I'll figure it out when I get back.

Reaction score
In the ati box with all the paper work it says that all their dampers are made to the absolute smallest tolerances. They recommend that you measure your crank and the bore of the balancer. If it is not within the specified tolerance they recommend then you will have to hone the balancer to fit. They are always too tight. I've never had one be loose. Most cases they require honing.

And for the fluid damper.......those things are only good for boat anchors. I wouldn't even recommend one to my worst enemy. A lot of front seal, lpop and crank failures on 6.0's. when I was big into big block gas stuff, Scat crankshafts would not warranty their cranks if you used a fluid damper. That has to say something when one of the largest aftermarket crank manufacturers does that.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Well I found the root of all my issues. Fluidampers use an aluminum ring for a spacer that goes down into the oil pump on the shaft. Did anybody else know that? I certainly didn't. So 2 stripped bolts and a whole heck of a lot of cussing later I have found the issue. Ati and stock balancer both went on without issue. Running the stock one for now till I can find a belt the right length or get some 70mm pulleys. Now to see if it'll run without dripping oil. Fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Members online