All I got to say..

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Not much to be scared of here. He was probably around 600hp in that truck. The stock forged rods couldn't take it. Big deal. Should have had some good rods and a girdle in it before throwing compound turbos at it. He probably had a feeling this would happen eventually. I mean stock rods and compounds have never really gone well together in the 7.3 and most of us know that stock rods are a gamble when approaching the 600hp mark.

I don't think it was putting down quite that much power with 250/100's. It seems really strange that a rod let go, with that small of an injector none the less. A handful of guys have kept bottom ends alive with forged rods, bigger injectors and twins.

OSCS

Reaction score
Got me kind of nervous.. My 250/100 put down 542 with a nasty leak so no doubt that it's fixed it's in the 550 range now.. I rarely beat on it so I'm hoping she'll hold together

Last edited:

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
Well I had the same setup except a 38r for 3 yrs. never got on the dyno but I'd imagine close to 500hp then did the compounds picked up a whole lot sotp and did 553 in a tow tune. Had the compounds for just over a month..

OSCS

Reaction score
Well I had the same setup except a 38r for 3 yrs. never got on the dyno but I'd imagine close to 500hp then did the compounds picked up a whole lot sotp and did 553 in a tow tune. Had the compounds for just over a month..

Yeah man you were def 600 in a race tune.. That's sucks, just one month to enjoy it. Well I hate to say it but I will learn from your Misfortune

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
So looks like we're doing

Full rebuild full machine & balance New rings and bearings
Reuse good pistons, 1 new. de lip the bowls, cut valve relefs and coated.
Crower rods
New lpop
New oil cooler
Stealth dual hpop quad feed dual ipr
Diesel site hpop spacer
Fuel bowl delete Post pump filter
2nd CCv
Oil fill cap on drivers side.
Swamps 400/200's

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Yeah man you were def 600 in a race tune.. That's sucks, just one month to enjoy it. Well I hate to say it but I will learn from your Misfortune

With a 100% nozzle not likely....

To me the compounds wouldnt have helped because of how much sooner the power comes in. Tons of people have said the low-end torque is the killer of forged rods. Once you get the rpms up there it tens to alleviate some stress.

To make use of the compounds youd be fueling hard..Early in my opinion. ?

OSCS

Reaction score
With a 100% nozzle not likely....

To me the compounds wouldnt have helped because of how much sooner the power comes in. Tons of people have said the low-end torque is the killer of forged rods. Once you get the rpms up there it tens to alleviate some stress.

To make use of the compounds youd be fueling hard..Early in my opinion. ?

Forgot about the 100% nozzle but I bet he was close

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on taking alittle off the top of the pistons to cut down cylinder pressure? Or just cut off the lips and add small valve reliefs a extra precaution per Matt at gearheads recommendation. I don't want to cut compression down too much since its a daily driver.. I'm thinking just trim the lip and cut small reliefs.

Viking

Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on taking alittle off the top of the pistons to cut down cylinder pressure? Or just cut off the lips and add small valve reliefs a extra precaution per Matt at gearheads recommendation. I don't want to cut compression down too much since its a daily driver.. I'm thinking just trim the lip and cut small reliefs.

Are you concerned about pressure or do you want RPM's?

Latest posts

Members online