Another T4 thread

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Impressive numbers. I wasn't sure of their torque numbers. And while 800+ sustained may fry our drive train. Shorter duration burst aren't so bad.

Swaan

Reaction score
Yup OTR trucks have 3x bigger drive train because they make 3x the torque. Ultimately its the torque that melts the drivetrain out of our trucks not the hp. Longer the hill and bigger the wieghts with hot ambient temps all factors in how long it takes till thermal nuclear meltdown.

Swaan

Reaction score
Speaking of temps.
I have a temp probe in my zf5. Pulling my 10,000 TT on flat hwy speeds it will sit at 180-190. Pull a hill with foot on the floor for 10 min it will spike up to 240-250.����

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Speaking of temps.
I have a temp probe in my zf5. Pulling my 10,000 TT on flat hwy speeds it will sit at 180-190. Pull a hill with foot on the floor for 10 min it will spike up to 240-250.����

Good info there. Maybe I should put a probe in mine. Do the obs trucks have a cooler on the zf5 like the super duties do?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Speaking of temps.
yeah. that is how Charles has melted a couple zf transmissions..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Swaan

Reaction score
No cooler on the zf5.
Yup they get toasty pulling heavy with power.

TARM

Reaction score
Yes but he also melted a 10.5 rear engine as well. The lube was black sludge IIRC. Killed god knows how many BTS trans parts and Brian kept having to design or use stronger alloy parts.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yes but he also melted a 10.5 rear engine as well. The lube was black sludge IIRC. Killed god knows how many BTS trans parts and Brian kept having to design or use stronger alloy parts.

An F550 4x4 hauler configuration with a compounded DT360 and a Fuller transmission would be just the ticket. Lol! That is my dream build.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know how much better the ZF6 does in that situation.
those are what Charles has melted.. so not any better.. he has even added a trans cooler to them and still can't control it..

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
those are what Charles has melted.. so not any better.. he has even added a trans cooler to them and still can't control it..

live life full throttle

Yeah, I remember him cussing them. I know they aren't that much better, but still curious on how effective the larger radiative surface area of the case, larger volume of fluid and the cooler is.

*edit*

Check these out.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/fc-6-spd-dg/transmission-coolers

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
No cooler on the zf5.
Yup they get toasty pulling heavy with power.

An F550 4x4 hauler configuration with a compounded DT360 and a Fuller transmission would be just the ticket. Lol! That is my dream build.

It would be interesting to know how much better the ZF6 does in that situation.

live life full throttle

If you did much foot to floor with a zf5 it'd be junk in a couple months. Not to mention changing the fluid after any towing event.

Tarm, those were dana 80s he was frying the ring gear out of on that drw. And that truck was dyno tuned with 300/100s, a 38r (i know his egts must have been out of control), and it was 300hp foot to the floor. Egts maxed out at something stupid low like 1000 degrees. Melted the drivetrain out of the f350drw. Clutches, rearends, etc

My twisted stg 2 with a 31 row cooler for a 6l would run 175 to 200 depending on towing. Sometimes 160 if it was cool out and unloaded. My new trans is a sam wyse stg2 and its also got roller bearings instead of bushings. It was said that this would do nothing for heat or transfer of torque. As one of the first users with this setup, my reports indicate that this,along with slightly different setup of clutches, ie looser for towing, has decreased trans operating Temps by 30-40 degrees. The max ive seen is 150. That was when ambient temps are 90+. It hits about 110 now that its cool here. The coldest day we've had was 12 in the morning and i ket the truck run for 5 min. When i got in the gauge was still below 100 but after i drove three quarters of a mile it was sitting at 100. It got a tad higher while driving but not much. Its also been said that roller bearibgs in a trans is "a total waste of time". But according to my builder all things consistent just changing to the roller bearing over bushings has knocked 25deg, conservatively, out of operating temps. Thats huge if you dind yourself near the fry zone often.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score

That is the build I am seriously considering. I am just getting so tired of chasing issues that end up being sensors or wiring. Ppump and manual trans removes all of that. Not to mention huge in durability and reliablility. Easier to rebuild a trans that is actually rated for the tq levels a 600-700hp build will produce.

change the rear to a s110 and remove the dually adapter. Super 60 up front.

That will more than handle my 40s even at thise power levels.

But like you that is my ideal setup.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sensors will be the end of this platform. Either the sensor or the wiring harness connecting them.

ja_cain

Reaction score
That is the build I am seriously considering. I am just getting so tired of chasing issues that end up being sensors or wiring. Ppump and manual trans removes all of that. Not to mention huge in durability and reliablility. Easier to rebuild a trans that is actually rated for the tq levels a 600-700hp build will produce.

change the rear to a s110 and remove the dually adapter. Super 60 up front.

That will more than handle my 40s even at thise power levels.

But like you that is my ideal setup.

I was wondering about the s110 on an ex. Your saying there is an adapter, which when removed, should make it the correct width. That would be awesome if there wasn't a whole lot of fabrication/modification involved. If my 10.5 goes out, I may look into this.

The older I get, the more I gravitate towards simple when I comes to mechanical things. That's why I like the idea of a more mechanical setup. It would be nice if there was an easy to implement variable timing p-pump type injector pump that could be used.

Would love to see you/someone go that route in an ex.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Sensors will be the end of this platform. Either the sensor or the wiring harness connecting them.

The harness thing definitely scares me. It would be cool if painless came out with something that was an equivalent or improvement over the factory one.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If you did much foot to floor with a zf5 it'd be junk in a couple months. Not to mention changing the fluid after any towing event.

Tarm, those were dana 80s he was frying the ring gear out of on that drw. And that truck was dyno tuned with 300/100s, a 38r (i know his egts must have been out of control), and it was 300hp foot to the floor. Egts maxed out at something stupid low like 1000 degrees. Melted the drivetrain out of the f350drw. Clutches, rearends, etc

My twisted stg 2 with a 31 row cooler for a 6l would run 175 to 200 depending on towing. Sometimes 160 if it was cool out and unloaded. My new trans is a sam wyse stg2 and its also got roller bearings instead of bushings. It was said that this would do nothing for heat or transfer of torque. As one of the first users with this setup, my reports indicate that this,along with slightly different setup of clutches, ie looser for towing, has decreased trans operating Temps by 30-40 degrees. The max ive seen is 150. That was when ambient temps are 90+. It hits about 110 now that its cool here. The coldest day we've had was 12 in the morning and i ket the truck run for 5 min. When i got in the gauge was still below 100 but after i drove three quarters of a mile it was sitting at 100. It got a tad higher while driving but not much. Its also been said that roller bearibgs in a trans is "a total waste of time". But according to my builder all things consistent just changing to the roller bearing over bushings has knocked 25deg, conservatively, out of operating temps. Thats huge if you dind yourself near the fry zone often.
my bts is exactly the same way only it ran cooler.. I only had the stock cooling system with a added Tru cool up in front of everything..

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
The harness thing definitely scares me. It would be cool if painless came out with something that was an equivalent or improvement over the factory one.

You could do it with any aftermarket harness brand. I said it once before that I bought some harnesses and wire but never made it past that. You'd need two guys that were quick on their feet. One to have hand on harness, one to map it out. Keeping it all organized would be the toughest part.

Using the supplies my buddy and I made a harness for his 99 cat combination backhoe but that is nowhere near as complicated even with all the crap they have on them.

Im trying to scrounge the parts together to go mechanical on a 7.3. Without going to hypermax and throwing a house worth at them for the parts.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You could do it with any aftermarket harness brand. I said it once before that I bought some harnesses and wire but never made it past that. You'd need two guys that were quick on their feet. One to have hand on harness, one to map it out. Keeping it all organized would be the toughest part.

Using the supplies my buddy and I made a harness for his 99 cat combination backhoe but that is nowhere near as complicated even with all the crap they have on them.

Im trying to scrounge the parts together to go mechanical on a 7.3. Without going to hypermax and throwing a house worth at them for the parts.
let me know how that goes with a diy kit like that..

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
It probably wont. I bought a "like new" harness from a guy on here, thanks by the way dikkhead for a pos, that was going to be the pattern but it was so ***kin cobbled "like new" that i didnt trust it. I tried to ohm out three of the circuits on it before trusting it as a map but two were incontinuous. I shook my head and threw it in the corner. Every sensor had had its pigtail replaced. All nig-spliced in. I asked ***kface "why didnt you tell me you cobble ***ked this piece of shti together?" "Oh w-w-w-well i never did". I asked my money back and was lead to believe it wouldnt happen. I wont trash the persons name yet. If they uphold their promise to never attempt to buy or sell on here ill remain silent.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.