build the 7.3, or buy a 6.4

• Build the 7.3

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Buy the 6.4

Votes: 44 44.9%

• Total voters

DocBar

Reaction score
Alright so whats everyones opinion if i go a little different route. What if I skip the 500hp goal, keep my setup plus injectors + RR. Do a 08 front end conversion, 05-07 dash, black out the interior, and 08 tailgate. Maybe eventually up the newer style front axle to get the better turning radius. Opinions on that idea? Be honest if I am being a tard just say what you guys think. Thanks in advance
Some guys have done a very nice job doing this, but it's a PITA and probably a lot more work than you really want to do. The guys that have done this and made it look good are seriously detail oriented and completely anal about making everythiung fit just right.

Wayne

Reaction score
Alright so whats everyones opinion if i go a little different route. What if I skip the 500hp goal, keep my setup plus injectors + RR. Do a 08 front end conversion, 05-07 dash, black out the interior, and 08 tailgate. Maybe eventually up the newer style front axle to get the better turning radius. Opinions on that idea? Be honest if I am being a tard just say what you guys think. Thanks in advance

^lots of people do it. I personally think its retarded. Waste of time and money, and all in all its still not an '08.

Kinda like cross dressing I suppose. In the end, it's just a matter of how much polish you want to put on a turd.

campbellflage

Reaction score
Some guys have done a very nice job doing this, but it's a PITA and probably a lot more work than you really want to do. The guys that have done this and made it look good are seriously detail oriented and completely anal about making everythiung fit just right.

I know its not an easy swap, especially cutting up the front frame to fit the bumper, I would have to get some help on the swap, wouldn't take it on by myself. I don't know, maybe I should just wait till I graduate and start looking for an 08, I love my truck though.

Reaction score
Love is just because you haven't fallen in love with a newer truck. Go drive a new one and you will be hooked.

Sent while hooked to something, somewhere, with my foot through the floor!

campbellflage

Reaction score
Thanks for everyones advice. For the most part Im just spitballin ideas out there. Just spent a rediculous amount on the fiances engagement ring, so funds are all gone. But I appreciate everyone so far who has taken the time to weigh in on this.

campbellflage

Reaction score
Love is just because you haven't fallen in love with a newer truck. Go drive a new one and you will be hooked.

Sent while hooked to something, somewhere, with my foot through the floor!

True. I dont know anyone local that even owns a super duty, let alone a new one. I have been looking to go to a gtg but there never seems to be one local

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
I'll prolly do a 08 front on my 02..... Why? Because its different and also without the payment of a newer truck.

Black 02

Reaction score
I don't get why all of you are saying 30k plus is what it takes to get into a 6.4. Mine was 20,200 out the door off eBay in stock condition with 168k on the clock a year ago. I've seen some good base models go for 12ish. Of course they were xl's with steel wheels etc. But take the the 10kmachine you could get for your 7.3, and throw another 10-20 to get the 6.4 you want, and done.

$20k for a truck that has 170k on the odometer. :wtf:

Trust me, I'd love to have a 6.4. I love the interior and the ride would be nice.

That being said, I spend $20k for a truck with 50k more miles than my 7.3. It's stock to start with. I spend $6k for wheels, lift and tires. $3k for engine mods. $2k for stereo and alarm. $3k for gears and lockers installed.

Just seems like a lot of money to get me truck that has a touch more horsepower and nicer interior than what I own.

I'm not doubting the 6.4's are nice. I just can't see paying that kind of coin or more on a truck that's already half used up or more.

Best part about mine is that my name is on the title, not a lender. :pimp:

That's just me.......

powerSmokin

Reaction score
I don't get why all of you are saying 30k plus is what it takes to get into a 6.4. Mine was 20,200 out the door off eBay in stock condition with 168k on the clock a year ago. I've seen some good base models go for 12ish. Of course they were xl's with steel wheels etc. But take the the 10kmachine you could get for your 7.3, and throw another 10-20 to get the 6.4 you want, and done.

It depends on where you are in the states when it comes to price. Lowest I have seen for an xl model in the seattle area was 20k and it was the bare bones but you are right the right deals are out there, ya just have to look real hard in this area.

Wayne

Reaction score
$20k for a truck that has 170k on the odometer. :wtf:
You say that like I bought a worn out piece of crap base model:puke: It's not some clapped out 2nd gen dodge, man. It's a super duty. Looking at it, you'd think it has 50K miles. There isn't a single tear or hole in any of the seats, no rattles, etc. I would do it all over again if I had the choice. It was a super clean, one owner with almost every exact option I wanted with brand new tires, windshield, etc. When you're as picky as I was when I bought it, price is not at the very top of your list. There just aren't all that many corrosion free vermillion red CCLB SRW 4X4 6.4's with a light tan leather lariat package that seats 6 under 25K, so when I found this, I said to myself: Hey, you work at Elite, don't you? Yes, yes I do. Well then, even if the engine and trans are junk it's not like you'll be running stock stuff very long. Good point. I'm sure I'll have a fully built engine and trans within a year or so, so miles don't really matter as long as the rest of the truck is clean. And that's why I bought it. To all of you who think you can't find the right deal near you, consider looking online at trucks within a reasonable distance. Mine was 1200 miles away. A plane ticket and some fuel are a small price to pay when you can save thousands off the price of a local truck.

Strokersace

Reaction score
This thread has gotten me thinking....

I am going to sell my 97 and get back into a SD. Was going to an 02 or 03 7.3, throw a forged rod motor in it, swap over my go fast stuff and be at a decent 350hp. But would still need at least $8K for a larger turbo and built trans. I'd easily have $20-$25K in the truck (not counting the $$$ in parts I already own).

BUT... after reading this thread, I'm leaning more and more to a 6.4 instead. More reliable performance at the same hp levels, newer so better resale value, newer creature comforts, etc. The only real downside I can see is it's more money out up front and a payment.

I'll still have a 7.3 around the place, it just won't be the main rig. Gonna keep my eye out for the right one over the next year or so.

Black 02

Reaction score
This thread has gotten me thinking....

I am going to sell my 97 and get back into a SD. Was going to an 02 or 03 7.3, throw a forged rod motor in it, swap over my go fast stuff and be at a decent 350hp. But would still need at least $8K for a larger turbo and built trans. I'd easily have $20-$25K in the truck (not counting the $$$ in parts I already own).

BUT... after reading this thread, I'm leaning more and more to a 6.4 instead. More reliable performance at the same hp levels, newer so better resale value, newer creature comforts, etc. The only real downside I can see is it's more money out up front and a payment.

I'll still have a 7.3 around the place, it just won't be the main rig. Gonna keep my eye out for the right one over the next year or so.

Yeah, I don't know why, but for some reason, I've kicked around today the idea of putting a junk yard engine in my truck and selling it for a 6.4. I was absolutely against it a month ago, but it's starting to grow on me. I would hope to get high teens for mine. Put $15k from sale plus the $10k I would put in for my engine in the 7.3 and get a low miles 6.4. I don't know.

If I was gonna do it, it would have to be a Black CCLB 4x4 Lariat or a Maroon King Ranch. Problem is that I'd have a truck with no lockers, no lift, no wheels and tires, and no engine mods. Hmmmmmm.

SickStroke6.0

Reaction score
6.4L all day. Easy power, a million times nicer, and if you happen to wreck it, you'll get full value back out of it. If you ever get in a bind, you could easily trade it in and get most of your money back.

Black 02

Reaction score
You say that like I bought a worn out piece of crap base model:puke: It's not some clapped out 2nd gen dodge, man. It's a super duty. Looking at it, you'd think it has 50K miles.

Wayne, I meant no disrespect to your truck. I'd love to have one. Yours look awesome.

I'm just saying that 170k miles is quite a few and $20k seems like a lot. Not saying you spent too much, because after my research, I can tell that's a good deal.

I'm just having a hard time fathoming the diesel truck prices and how high they stay with a truck with that many miles. It's just the way things are. That truck in a gas engine would be $7500.

I know it's the truth. That's why there are 7.3's at dealerships that are $25k plus for low mileage vehicles. These are 10+ year old trucks.

Damn this thread! Damn it to hell! Now I'm considering selling my pride and joy for a 6.4L. This is bull****! :cursing: :eek:

Latest posts

Members online