build the 7.3, or buy a 6.4

• Build the 7.3

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Buy the 6.4

Votes: 44 44.9%

• Total voters

bad12jr

Reaction score
A 32000 truck payment for four year is $800. In a years time I can set that money back for year and if I would need it for other unexpected things. I gotta make that $800 dollar payment though. 2 years would cover the parts and you can do some things as you go.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

bad12jr

Reaction score
I think I'm in the wrong line of work. Haha. That's my justification of not buying a newer truck mainly.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
If you put this thread in the 6.4 section I guarantee the poll would be a landslide in favor of buying the 6.4. I bet most of the people who voted in favor of you keeping the 7.3 have either never ridden in a tuned & deleted 6.4, or are die-hard to the grave 7.3 enthusiasts blinded by commitment. Almost all of the 6.4 owners at one point or another have owned at least one 7.3, and probably a 6.0 or two. I've personally had 7 different 7.3's, and 6 different 6.0's, and now my 6.4. I wouldn't trade my 6.4 for a parking lot full of 7.3's or 6.0's. Are they great trucks? Yes, but not by comparison. I don't regret trading up to the 6.4 where I am now, even a little bit. Perhaps it would be more helpful to have a poll of who has a 6.4, and would rather go back to the 7.3 for any realistic reason? I bet there would be 0.

Let's compare a 500 hp 7.3 to a 500 hp 6.4.

7.3: leaf sprung Dana 50 front axle, 6.4: coil sprung Dana super 60 with much tighter turning radius.

7.3: Good 4 wheel disc brakes- clears 16" wheels, 6.4: great , but requires specific 17's or 18" wheels. 6.4's also have much longer & softer rear leaf springs.

to get 500 reliable HP out of a 7.3, including the purchase price is about a wash if not more money than a 500 hp 6.4. Add up the cost of parts, and it all makes sense.

7.3 interior, bells, whistles, creature comforts etc.: way nicer than your gramps' '73 power wagon, but NO WHERE NEAR as nice as a 6.4. 7.3 has significantly more engine noise as well.

7.3 fuel mileage at 500 hp: 12-15ish. 6.4 at 500: 16-20ish

7.3: no worries with the EPA. 6.4: everybody knows a guy at a local emissions shop with bad vision/memory, and accepts tips., so no worries either.

I guarantee that a properly set up 500 hp 6.4 would outlast a properly set up 500 hp 7.3 doing equal tasks any day for reliability and longevity, all while doing it more quietly and efficiently, with greater comfort. There's also the instant throttle response of a stock turboed 6.4 compared to the lag of a single configured 500 hp 7.3. Go 7.3 compounds, and you're in it way more money than a 6.4.

The way I see it, you have 3 realistic options. Either you (1) maintain, and enjoy the 7.3 as-is, (2) throw money into a black hole trying to get it reliably to 500 hp, all while working on it every spare moment you've got, OR, (3) trade in the 7.3 on the 6.4 that has all the benefits listed above, do your $2000 worth of mods, and spend less on your payment than you would on parts for your 7.3, let alone all the time working on it. It's really not a tough decision the way I see it.

Excellent post Wayne.

As said...7.3 is a good engine/platform....still cannot compare to what has evolved since the last superduty with one was produced for sale in the U.S. 10 yrs ago. A decade.

Just my opinion of course.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Im sitting on the fence right now about thrpwong bigger injectors in my 7.3 or buying a 6.4. You guys said it only cost 2000 to get a 500 hp 6.4. Dont you need studs at that range of horse power? Ive known a few guys pushing there studs with just intake, exhuast and a tuner.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Wanted to gauge you guys opinion. I have also posted this on the org, but doesn't seem to be much going on over there anymore.

Hmm wonder why.. . they are banning everybody.

the 6.4 w/ a tuner will put down 500hp. Or, you can waste your time and money and reliability and get a big turbo, big injectors, RR etc and get 500hp w/ your 7.3

I personally hate loans, and I cant see me dropping the kinda money 6.4's call for, so thats why I stick with my 7.3

If 6.4's were cheaper, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. Great trucks. Make lots of power, get great mpg when tuned/deleted, and have amazing autos. Plus they make 500hp w/ an H&S tuner.

campbellflage

Reaction score
If you put this thread in the 6.4 section I guarantee the poll would be a landslide in favor of buying the 6.4. I bet most of the people who voted in favor of you keeping the 7.3 have either never ridden in a tuned & deleted 6.4, or are die-hard to the grave 7.3 enthusiasts blinded by commitment. Almost all of the 6.4 owners at one point or another have owned at least one 7.3, and probably a 6.0 or two. I've personally had 7 different 7.3's, and 6 different 6.0's, and now my 6.4. I wouldn't trade my 6.4 for a parking lot full of 7.3's or 6.0's. Are they great trucks? Yes, but not by comparison. I don't regret trading up to the 6.4 where I am now, even a little bit. Perhaps it would be more helpful to have a poll of who has a 6.4, and would rather go back to the 7.3 for any realistic reason? I bet there would be 0.

Let's compare a 500 hp 7.3 to a 500 hp 6.4.

7.3: leaf sprung Dana 50 front axle, 6.4: coil sprung Dana super 60 with much tighter turning radius.

7.3: Good 4 wheel disc brakes- clears 16" wheels, 6.4: great , but requires specific 17's or 18" wheels. 6.4's also have much longer & softer rear leaf springs.

to get 500 reliable HP out of a 7.3, including the purchase price is about a wash if not more money than a 500 hp 6.4. Add up the cost of parts, and it all makes sense.

7.3 interior, bells, whistles, creature comforts etc.: way nicer than your gramps' '73 power wagon, but NO WHERE NEAR as nice as a 6.4. 7.3 has significantly more engine noise as well.

7.3 fuel mileage at 500 hp: 12-15ish. 6.4 at 500: 16-20ish

7.3: no worries with the EPA. 6.4: everybody knows a guy at a local emissions shop with bad vision/memory, and accepts tips., so no worries either.

I guarantee that a properly set up 500 hp 6.4 would outlast a properly set up 500 hp 7.3 doing equal tasks any day for reliability and longevity, all while doing it more quietly and efficiently, with greater comfort. There's also the instant throttle response of a stock turboed 6.4 compared to the lag of a single configured 500 hp 7.3. Go 7.3 compounds, and you're in it way more money than a 6.4.

The way I see it, you have 3 realistic options. Either you (1) maintain, and enjoy the 7.3 as-is, (2) throw money into a black hole trying to get it reliably to 500 hp, all while working on it every spare moment you've got, OR, (3) trade in the 7.3 on the 6.4 that has all the benefits listed above, do your $2000 worth of mods, and spend less on your payment than you would on parts for your 7.3, let alone all the time working on it. It's really not a tough decision the way I see it.

very good point

Wayne

Reaction score
I don't get why all of you are saying 30k plus is what it takes to get into a 6.4. Mine was 20,200 out the door off eBay in stock condition with 168k on the clock a year ago. I've seen some good base models go for 12ish. Of course they were xl's with steel wheels etc. But take the the 10kmachine you could get for your 7.3, and throw another 10-20 to get the 6.4 you want, and done.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
I found a few 6.4's that were real nice for around 20k.

I spent 15k on my 6.0 and in reality should have just spent a few more but I paid cash and didn't wanna take out a note. So I ended up with the 6.0. Next year probably for a 6.4

Bigsexy

Reaction score
At what point do you need to do headstuds and valve springs? The 2 guys I hang out with both have just the basics with the h&s hot damn tune and one just did studs because of a leaking headgasket and the other ones truck is getting studded next week because of the same problem. I have my eye on an 08 company truck my buddys shops getting ready to sell with 173k on the clock and I will be able to pick it up for a decent price. If I could put intake, exhuast and tuner and it and be done for now other then general maintence I think im might go the 6.4 route

GreenMachine

Reaction score
At what point do you need to do headstuds and valve springs? The 2 guys I hang out with both have just the basics with the h&s hot damn tune and one just did studs because of a leaking headgasket and the other ones truck is getting studded next week because of the same problem. I have my eye on an 08 company truck my buddys shops getting ready to sell with 173k on the clock and I will be able to pick it up for a decent price. If I could put intake, exhuast and tuner and it and be done for now other then general maintence I think im might go the 6.4 route

My business partner's 08 has 115k on it and has been tuned since 85k. Running a spartan with delete pipe and AFE intake. He runs the 210 tune. Absolutely no issues at all. Runs great, gets good mileage, and is reliable.

campbellflage

Reaction score
I don't get why all of you are saying 30k plus is what it takes to get into a 6.4. Mine was 20,200 out the door off eBay in stock condition with 168k on the clock a year ago. I've seen some good base models go for 12ish. Of course they were xl's with steel wheels etc. But take the the 10kmachine you could get for your 7.3, and throw another 10-20 to get the 6.4 you want, and done.

If I buy a 6.4 it wouldn't be the base model, creature comforts are its selling feature. I get what your saying though, there are deals out there. I paid cash for what I have now, previous owner's wife made him get rid of it due to brake issues and he bought a duramax. Couldn't pass it up cause of the deal, but I cant stand the tan interior. I wouldn't buy another truck unless it has what I want in it, otherwise I would have to spend more money in the long run to make it how I want it. Another this is I really have no use for a drw, but I love the way they look, and most of the ones I have found are in the mid to upper 30's.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score

Mine has been deleted and tuned for 42k miles now, running H&S HD tunes, no issues what so ever. The EGR is also deleted

DocBar

Reaction score
I built my 7.3 with 650-700 rwhp in mind and stuck with the 7.3 because you just don't see too many higher hp ones out there.

After having spent the $20k on just the motor I wouldn't do it again. I would go for the 6.4 and be happier than a pig in mud.

If I can find a buyer for my '03 or convince my wife to let me have a 6.4, I'll be in one.

campbellflage

Reaction score
Alright so whats everyones opinion if i go a little different route. What if I skip the 500hp goal, keep my setup plus injectors + RR. Do a 08 front end conversion, 05-07 dash, black out the interior, and 08 tailgate. Maybe eventually up the newer style front axle to get the better turning radius. Opinions on that idea? Be honest if I am being a tard just say what you guys think. Thanks in advance

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
^lots of people do it. I personally think its retarded. Waste of time and money, and all in all its still not an '08.

Latest posts

Members online