cam

Dieselcraft

Reaction score
Per manual your suppose to pull crank to remove cam.

Iv heard but never have done remove crank ballancer and it will let you pull crank whith no problems

I always pull engine and put engine on rotecery stand and remove front and rear covers and remove bedplate heads up litters blah blah
I put bedplate on
Only install 2 bolts up front
And drop crank enough to remove crank out rear
Works like a charm.

White_monster

Reaction score
It does. Cab has to be off. Pull the rear crank flange but mark where it sits before. Lift the lifters and pull the cam. Reinstall the crank flange and use a dial indicator to center the flange and use me bolts, the bolts are the same as the harmonic balancer bolts as the bolts for the flange aren't actually listed.

The book says to drop the crank thou and requires a special tool for timing everything.

Dieselcraft

Reaction score
Timing is easy cam and crank dowl half to be straight up and down. And Cyl tdc

Don't half to pull cab.
28d5ad81.jpg

I had engine sitting on jack stands in 5 hrs

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
..... is it worth it while my heads are off and cab is up? Just looking to see if there is anything else I should do. Im not going to do valve springs or push rods until I lift the cab again to put turbos on, and even then ill still get valve springs that I dont require machining the heads. Already going to swap fuel rails with rudys, even though there isnt much evidence of them making a difference. Gonna take a look at the intake manifold and either possibly mod the stock one or make a custom one. I have 6.0 manifolds but am not going to put them on or do up pipes till I do turbos.. Another other ideas or opinions that are worth while while its apart.

Spatel23

Reaction score
other things Id spend the money and time on first....such as valvetrain, pushrods, intake manifold. Youre on the right track, just need to put it in a different order.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I would go with making it reliable and able to handle what ever power upgrades you are planning on doing. Building it to have a breakdown due to a weaker stock part would suck.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I see. Well when I do a custom turbo set up the cab will be off again and I guess Ill debate on the cam sitation then. There are plenty of people making Big power on a stock cam, more power then I doubt Ill ever have. Next time Ill definetely do springs and pushrods since there are springs available that dont require machining so I dont have to pull the heads. Here is whats going on while the cabs off, if anyone has anymore suggestions on modifications or reliability factors feel free to post:

arp studs
oem gaskets
custom 4" dp
50mm waste gate plumed into dp
custom CAC pipe
custom intake elbow
ported rails from rudys
water pump is going to be opened up just to check it for cavitation (truck has 96xxx miles)

I dont have a lift pump, and plan on doing a custom set up with a few walbro pumps, a 5 gal. fuel cell, fuel bowl delete, and fuel cooler deleted and one put on the frame in the near future to finish off the low pressure system. So hopefully fuel rail pressure will be ok for the time being with ported rails.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Eh, my buddy did the same set up and he hasnt had any problems with it. It was just readily available at the time I bought it. I was going to use the 50mm in the future on a custom big twin set up to regulate total boost, and was thinking of doing like twin 40s ( one on each up pipe) to regulate exhaust around the small charger. Just seemed neat on paper. But now im seeing more people say sometimes gating around the small charger isnt really needed so I dont know. Probably overkill

Latest posts

Members online