Controlling back pressure with Elite turbos

White_monster

Reaction score
Thanks Dustin. Hopefully I get home in January and can get the long block built and start this sizing game. Interesting thought and I'd have to measure but could you put a spacer plate under the pedestal and lift the turbos up? Might hit the deck but won't know till I get some measurements. If so that could help clear a bigger housing. Hmmmm

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Thanks Dustin. Hopefully I get home in January and can get the long block built and start this sizing game. Interesting thought and I'd have to measure but could you put a spacer plate under the pedestal and lift the turbos up? Might hit the deck but won't know till I get some measurements. If so that could help clear a bigger housing. Hmmmm

I think that it could be done but your uppipes will have to be longer. I don't see why you. Can't from what I have seen they should clear the hood. But I.might be wrong.

White_monster

Reaction score
Ya longer up pipes would be needed but that's minor. Need to find out how much bigger the 1.44 housing is. I got some ideas on how to sort the manifold out as well.

So to get a bigger housing for this turbo, do I have to go to precision or is there another resource? Haven't had to buy exhaust housings before.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i think its a standard garrett gt45 housing, so it should be pretty readily available i would think. You might need to verify that with tadd

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Thanks Mike and Dustin. I'm gonna put a Build list up with a tune and see what your guts idea is. I wanna do this right the first time if at all possible. So here goes the list:

Max powers - housing change as needed for the big turbo.
Dual gates - 3rd gate if needed. One gate dumps between the housings now but that sounds like it should be changed to dump to the down pipe.
150 nozzles - I have 110's but I would prefer to run 150's
Eric's tunes - I'd like to run street or x street for daily use unless I can run a larger pulse width. Smoke isn't the biggest concern to me but the less smoke the better. I do have a dashdaq that's 3yrs old and not updated so KEM could live tune on that as well.

I want to be able to run this setup for the moat part and at times I want to be able to throw the juice to her and run an aggressive tune without really worrying about it, yes I still need to watch the gauges. Mike and Dustin what's the best way to make this a reality. I'm not a turbo sizing genius by any means, hell I'm still learning. If I need to make a bigger housing fit then so be it I'll make it happen, time isn't the issue. Keep the info coming.

I think your on the right track. I would go with the 1.28 or maybe the 1.32 if its available. I wouldn't go to big though as I would hate to see you lose any drive ability when your not spraying. I would keep the truck as fun to drive as possible.
I was thinking space the turbos up as well, just make the up pipes longer. The one issue I see with spacing them up would be the high pressure turbo uses the factory oil drain pipe. So you would need to address that as well.
I will be honest that I haven't done much nitrous gate testing on 6.4' s but I would rather have to many gates installed and not used then not enough. I also would definately do all testing in a very controlled environment ie a dyno with lots of data logging going on. I would love to help you with this when the time comes.

White_monster

Reaction score
Your on the list Mike. I can build the engine but dialing it in is another thing. Very good chance myself and my buddy with max powers will be coming to you to dial the gates in.

White_monster

Reaction score
As far as the drain tube goes. I'm thinking build a spacer plate that goes under the pedestal that way you retain the factory drains and it is reversible if need be.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
As far as the drain tube goes. I'm thinking build a spacer plate that goes under the pedestal that way you retain the factory drains and it is reversible if need be.

thats a pretty smart way to do it, never thought to do it that way.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
The largest housing available is a 1.28 and mike made it fit without raising the turbos. I am pretty sure it will not interchange with a gt45 housing, slight difference in turbine wheel. Precision will charge u much more for a housing than we would.

White_monster

Reaction score
Thanks Tadd. I'll send this housing to you, stuck up north till January, and I'll get the bigger one coated from you guys, I'll send it if you want it that is. I just checked Precisions site and they only list 2 housings.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Thanks Tadd. I'll send this housing to you, stuck up north till January, and I'll get the bigger one coated from you guys, I'll send it if you want it that is. I just checked Precisions site and they only list 2 housings.

My bad on that good catch

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
U could add another 46 gate to dump off when u hit the nitrous, but I would keep the in between gate. My reasoning is that u have a higher flowing air intake, that means the turbo will get better density air, then the charger may require more drive. This is just speculation but why remove it until u test it.

White_monster

Reaction score
That was my thought. I was gonna "T" into the pipe that goes to between the turbos for the 3rd gate. I don't have the privilege of pulling my cab to redo stuff. Worst case I put the bigger housing in and do the same gate setup as Mal's truck and run my 110's till I can pull the cab. I've got options.

White_monster

Reaction score
Sounds logical. Bigger housing and stick with the gate setup I've got, I can def do that.

Completely changing subject but what gates are on Mal's truck? If not precision why the switch? Thanks Mike.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
U could add another 46 gate to dump off when u hit the nitrous, but I would keep the in between gate. My reasoning is that u have a higher flowing air intake, that means the turbo will get better density air, then the charger may require more drive. This is just speculation but why remove it until u test it.

And another important factor is altitude. We are basing alot of this info off of a truck that spends all of its time at 6000 feet. Makes a big difference on how things work.

I say keep the gate between stages.

One thing to consider is outing both manifold gates on the bottom or the manifolds. You wouldn't have ti install them until you needed them if you weld the vband in the manifold and add the gate later. Pretty easy access from the bottom

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Wow. This is an example of the kinds of threads we need to see.

Kudos to all involved.

Carry on. Interesting read.

Latest posts

Members online