Controlling back pressure with Elite turbos

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Researching your setup and how to dial it in is very important. Best of luck on the new setup Joe.

Now I had an idea on how to pipe the gates for my setup, Mike let me hear your thoughts on this. Gonna use the gate off the drivers side manifold, this is the auxiliary gate kit from elite for one gate. The second gate is going to go off the passenger up pipe and dump to the down pipe just like the regular gate kit elite offers for stock turbos. I'm gonna pipe in a 3rd gate to dump pressure from between stages, thinking I might need this for nitrous and like mike said earlier it's better to have it and not use it than not have it and need it. I'm also going to run the 1.28 housing on the big turbo, although with the 3rd gate I'm wondering if I really need it. Hmmmm. I'm gonna run pressure sensors on both manifolds and one between stages to be able to monitor everything. Least that's the plan to control things right now. More thought and research for me to do before I start building.

My only concerns with setting it up like I stated is I'd be relying solely on the vgt turbo to spool the big turbo. Maybe dumping between stages is the way to go and then some how have a gat to go from there around the big turbo.

I think two gates would really be plenty. That 82mm low pressure spools plenty fast. I wouldn't worry about dumping between stages to get it lit. I think it might only be necessary to help control the speed of the high pressure when your spraying.

White_monster

Reaction score
I think two gates would really be plenty. That 82mm low pressure spools plenty fast. I wouldn't worry about dumping between stages to get it lit. I think it might only be necessary to help control the speed of the high pressure when your spraying.

Ya. I want to be safe while spraying but still useable when just on fuel. So mike you think my above idea with dumping both manifolds to the down pipe and a 3rd gate from between stages to the down pipe would work for fuel only and for nitrous? Yes adjustments would be needed.

BFT

Reaction score
There is the problem there. The precision gates cannot take the heat. I would open my hood and it would be so hot in there. The gates were not dialed in the way they should have been. Also a lot of the plastic lines coming off the gates melted. I had so many plumbing leaks from high back pressure it was not even funny. The big turbo would over speed and the truck would lock out in OD. Then with the big turbo still dumping lots of fuel into the motor. It was so hard for you to drop the shift. The truck would just shift into OD dump lots of fuel and black the highway out! Then after 30 seconds later it would clean all the fuel out and drop the shift again. Then i would get going again and the truck would build lots of back pressure and go again. But it would do this over and over again. It would just keep falling on its face locked in OD. I had more blown plumbing then one person could stand. I do not know how Aaron had his gates set up. But i do know they were not set up good. Because i had a lot of heat with melted hoses. And a lot of back pressure with blown plumbing. I had all i could take for now. I am not going to point at any one person. But i did spray her one time! So who knows what could of happened then. She only did 1,080HP. But the truck is over #10,000 pounds. So i think that is not to bad. But the set up was not correct. I think??

How are you melting the lines? I most likely haven't seen the temps you do but I've held EGT's at 1200+ for a while when I tow. I've had my WG for close to 30k and it was Mikey's old one.

I am looking to get the tial water cooled WG for my HP turbos because of the amount of towing I do

Dzchey21

Reaction score
How are you melting the lines? I most likely haven't seen the temps you do but I've held EGT's at 1200+ for a while when I tow. I've had my WG for close to 30k and it was Mikey's old one.

I am looking to get the tial water cooled WG for my HP turbos because of the amount of towing I do

I think its because they were black plastic air lines that big trucks use. Works great on dodges and gassers becuadr for the most part everything is in the open

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It's always a concern no matter what the setup. No one wants to run with excess pressure. Also each setup will require different tuning. The fundamentals stay the same.

That's a great point. Thia thread basically pertains to all turbo set ups using gates

blackmonster

Reaction score
max power

I agree with Craig as for his build set up. His manifolds and gates attached to them is going to work. And the back pressure will be half of what it was before!!!

blackmonster

Reaction score
max power

All i know is trial and a era is going to get me were i need to be. It sucks because it all takes down time and **** loads of shop time.
But i guess it is the sport were in?

blackmonster

Reaction score
maxpowers

I think its because they were black plastic air lines that big trucks use. Works great on dodges and gassers becuadr for the most part everything is in the open
You hit the nail on the head. My **** would be all melted and hoses laying all over. It would get so hot in there. Those black plastic hoses would melt on a 3 hour ride home. Then there i am with waste gates not working properly!!

Latest posts

Members online