Daily Driver / Tow Pig Build....

mjonesjr

Reaction score
I have been having a little problem with my fuel system the last couple of weeks. It hasn't been wanting start the fuel pump. Saturday morning when I was starting my truck to leave work, the fuel pressure never came up. I popped the hood and flicked the relay in the dark. After flicking the relay, the pressure came up and the pump came on.

Fast forward to today, I decide to check out the problem since I have to drive it to work tomorrow (haven't driven the truck since Saturday morning). Below is what I found.

photo1.png

photo2.png

photo3.png

The relay was no where near a heat source. I think it was just cheap Chinese junk. I put in a Motorcraft relay out of the old fuse/relay box I got and it works like a dream now!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
wow that relay almost looks as if it was on fire at one point.... you have that truck looking sweet man.... i just went back and looked at all the posts i have missed... very nice!!

mjonesjr

Reaction score
wow that relay almost looks as if it was on fire at one point.... you have that truck looking sweet man.... i just went back and looked at all the posts i have missed... very nice!!
I would bet it was. The cover for the pyrometer gauge wiring is melted a bit and black in one spot. It was about 3" above where the relay was setting.

I'm glad it didn't burn down the truck. If it did, I might have had to sue Painless since the relay came in their relay socket kit I bought just for the fuel system wiring.

trinity250

Reaction score
That is crazy with the relay never seen anything like that. Great build BTW had to go back and reread it all.

mjonesjr

Reaction score
I had a small water leak in the cab above the windshield. I narrowed it down to one of the cab light gaskets. I ordered new gaskets from the local dealership and installed them. The part number is EOTZ-15A402-A and were $6.17 each after tax. If you are going to change out the gaskets, you will need to order 1 for each light. They are sold individually.

Compared to the old gaskets, I can see why they leaked.

photo1-1.png

photo2-1.png

photo3-1.png

mjonesjr

Reaction score
Bugs are all worked out, just had a relay that was a pain. I learned to use OEM style relays and not chinese junk.

mjonesjr

Reaction score
I scored a Dana 60 from a '94 F-350 this morning for $500. They are going for anywhere from $800-$1500 around here lately.

This one comes with everything to do the swap in my truck, minus the hubs, brake lines, and steering.

Hopefully by this time next week, I will have this bad boy swapped in. I am off until Friday so I have plenty of time.

photo1-2.png

photo2-2.png

photo3-2.png

mjonesjr

Reaction score
Got some work done on the axle today. I got the rotors/hubs off so I can get the rotors turned and swap out the bearings.

The track bar bracket and driver side u-bolt plate should be here by Friday. If I get it Friday, I am going to do the swap on Saturday.

I couldn't get the dang spindle off. I beat and beat and heated and beat the dang things and they still wouldn't come off. I need to get a set of torches in and really heat them up. I am going to wait till I get the axle in the truck and do that.

IMG_0009-1.png

I also got the track bar cleaned up and the new bushings put in.

IMG_0004-1.png

IMG_0005-1.png

I got the lower tie rod installed as well. I "think" it is pretty close, but will not know for sure till I get the tires on it under the truck.

IMG_0008-1.png

IMG_0009-1.png

IMG_0010-1.png

All my parts that are left to go in.

IMG_0011-1.png

I also measured the before ride height of my truck.

Driver Side:

IMG_0007.png

Passenger Side:

IMG_0006.png

More to come tomorrow.

mjonesjr

Reaction score
I got some more progress done today.

Got the spindles off. AutoZone has a nifty tool that screws on the spindle and a slide hammer that beats the spindle off. As tight as they were on there, there was no other way to get it off. Once they were off, a TON of anti-seize went back before the spindle did. The old dust shields were rotton, so they came off for good. I also got a nice new set of MileMarker Supreme lockouts. With the new bearings installed in the freshly turned rotors, the hubs/rotors, and lockouts got installed. I also got the track bar bracket straightened.

IMG_0012-1.png

IMG_0013-1.png

IMG_0014.png

IMG_0015.png

IMG_0016.png

IMG_0017.png

IMG_0018.png

IMG_0019.png

IMG_0020.png

IMG_0026.png

IMG_0027.png

I also got the center section cleaned out, diff cover cleaned inside and out, a new gasket installed, and the diff cover installed ready for fluid under the truck. I don't know what the info stamped on the ring gear means, but I hope it means the same thing the tag on the diff says, that there is 3.55 gears installed.

IMG_0024.png

IMG_0023.png

IMG_0022.png

IMG_0021.png

IMG_0025.png

I have to work again tomorrow (24 hours), hopefully the last 2 parts I am waiting for arrive then (track bar bracket & driver side u-bolt plate). Saturday, unless I have a long incident Friday night or Saturday morning, the swap will happen. More to come then.

mjonesjr

Reaction score
Progress.

The old TTB came out VERY easy. I was shocked how easy all the bolts came lose. I had it out in less than an hour. I only had to cut 1 u-bolt, so I will only have to replace that 1. Since I just put new u-bolts on in the summer when I did the add-a-leaf.

IMG_0029.png

IMG_0030.png

IMG_0031.png

IMG_0032-1.png

IMG_0034-1.png

The hardest part was getting the bolts on the top of the cross member that held the TTB brackets on. I had to cut them to get them to clear the oil pan.

IMG_0034-1.png

IMG_0035-1.png

The new axle slid in and mated up to the springs with ease. Took about 30 minutes to get it all in and buttoned up, all except for 1 u-bolt. I am very impressed with how it looks in there. I can't wait till I get it on the road. It is setting on its own weight now with the jack stands under the axle. The new u-bolt will be here Wednesday.

IMG_0036-1.png

IMG_0037-1.png

IMG_0038-2.png

IMG_0039-2.png

IMG_0040-1.png

IMG_0041-1.png

mjonesjr

Reaction score
Ok then you aware it will ride like crap until you get different springs.
You are not the first to say that.

I am also aware that it isn't a car, but a 1 ton truck that is 15 years old, so I don't expect it to ride like a new 1 ton does.

mjonesjr

Reaction score
Got her on the ground with tires on it. I got all the steering on and the tires somewhat in alignment so I can drive it to the shop I use for alignments tomorrow afternoon.

I gained 1" exactly overall height from the TTB with the F-250 springs and add-a-leafs to the Dana 60 with the same F-250 springs with add-a-leafs. I will remeasure after I drive it tomorrow and see if they settle any. I don't think they will.

I am still waiting on the 1 u-bolt to get in tomorrow.

The only thing left to do is install the u-bolt, fill the diff with gear oil, and grease the chassie components (tie rods & ball joints).

IMG_0043-2.png

IMG_0044-2.png

IMG_0045-1.png

mjonesjr

Reaction score
Got everything buttoned up and done. It drives great and doesn't ride as bad as everyone made it out to be with the F-250 leafs.

With my rough alignment last night, I was within 5* on the toe and 30* on the steer straight. I had it aligned by a shop today.

I love this truck now.

IMG_0048-2.png

IMG_0049-2.png

IMG_0050-2.png

IMG_0051-2.png

IMG_0052.png

IMG_0054.png

This is the '89 F-350 that I had setting in the driveway to see how the front suspension was together.

IMG_0053.png

A few more pictures after I got home from the alignment shop today.

IMG_0055.png

IMG_0056.png

IMG_0057.png

IMG_0058-1.png

Latest posts

Members online