Doing it Gangsta

09stroker

Reaction score
Great it blows through and does nothing because that pressure is not acting on anything

Tom S

Reaction score
.In this instance, I would venture the area of pressure of the spring and that being affected by the boost is almost equal.

The spring exerts pressure in an area the diameter of the spring. Boost exerts pressure on the backside of the valve, however only part of that pressure is in direct opposition to the spring, since the valve curves and the directional forces of the boost will be reduced as the surface becomes closer to perpendicular to the valve face, and, the area of the diameter of the valve stem is not being acted upon by the boost at all. The area of pressure from boost is not the area of the valve face, it will be less than that. If I were to hazard a guess it would start exerting pressure in opposition to the spring somewhere around 45*, but that will be significantly reduced, so it's probably almost equal to the area of the spring pressure being exerted in opposition, possibly even less, which in turn makes the higher pressure spring even more overkill.

Interesting premise but not sure if I agree or not.

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
If you have 80 lbs of weight on a one inch square, and 80 lbs on a 10 inch square, which has more lbs per square inch. 80 lbs does not become more if the area is larger, and it does not become less if it's smaller.

Explained. No dog in this hunt, but your reasoning was off a bit. This explained it well. Also, I would do just about anything Doug tells me to do on a motor. He knows his stuff and can explain it well ( dumbs it down for me ).

juniort444e

Reaction score
Im talking to doug about his stuff, and trying to figure out if that setup is good for matts stage 2 cam. If i get any info i will post it. Kind of excited too, because its not to pricey.

jwlandry

Reaction score
Im trying to get doug to answer the questions in the thread. I know how they will work but i cant but it into words so others will understand. I will say im not worried about a lifter breaking or a cam wiping a lobe off. Its new parts for a motor thats 8 yrs old. I was hesitant about posting it up for this exact reason. People dont like change. Plain and simple.

09stroker

Reaction score
No. 80 lbs on one square inch equals 80 psi. 80 pounds per square inch. 80 pounds on 10 square inches is 8 psi. 8 pounds for every single square inch. Pounds are the same psi is different. Keep the psi the same and change the surface area and guess what pounds will change.....
Remember Pressure equals force over area.... Or force equals pressure times area. It's all the same...

09stroker

Reaction score
Explained. No dog in this hunt, but your reasoning was off a bit. This explained it well. Also, I would do just about anything Doug tells me to do on a motor. He knows his stuff and can explain it well ( dumbs it down for me ).

Just to be clear it's nothing about what Doug is doing or what your doing. That guy is an evil genius. I'm just not agreeing with what bb says about pressure acting on a valve spring. Unless BB is also Doug idk?

juniort444e

Reaction score
Seems charles is back at it with his truck again. I feel bad for him, i would have pull all the hair off my head and gf's head by now if i had those troubles.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Jarret, you made the right move.

To everyone else who wants to argue the merits of a properly selected valve spring........just stick some 910's in there and call it a day.

:morons:

Jhaddox

Reaction score
No dog in this fight...but I'm willing to bet if doug went into production with these the theory and numbers behind them work...everytime I'm on the phone with that guy I learn a ton of new stuff

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.