DTA360 Re-Power

turbonitrous

Reaction score
6.4 hpfp #3. Done with them for good.

1993 dta 360 purchased for $750.00 on an agricultural auction. 100k miles guy drove it home for 466. Found out it was too short and sold.

2008 6.4 with ZF6. Have ordered the adapter and clutch from Carson.

Goal is to retain the mechanical fan as well as the air compressor. I will post pictures etc for this project as it goes.
$750 is cheap

turbonitrous

Reaction score
Air will be stock plus gt4094r with a 42mm tial gate between stages. Don't want toy, work truck that tows.
What are you doing for fueling? The stock pump won’t be able to keep up with the twins, there is an adjustment for rack travel at the back of the pump but even with the adjuster completely removed I can’t really outpace the stock turbo. You can get them completely reworked but it was an arm and a leg…. But I like twin idea

a_moore

Reaction score
Bead blasted paint off intake. New Android tube out of ss and factory map pressure sensor installed.

Attachments

• 20220911_113321.jpg
    20220911_113321.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220911_113328.jpg
    20220911_113328.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 79

a_moore

Reaction score
What are you doing for fueling? The stock pump won’t be able to keep up with the twins, there is an adjustment for rack travel at the back of the pump but even with the adjuster completely removed I can’t really outpace the stock turbo. You can get them completely reworked but it was an arm and a leg…. But I like twin idea
After running I plan to take it to a pump shop. See what it gives and go from there.

I don't want a toy, but I most likely will not be happy unless it's close to 400-500.

If not happy, 12mm p-pump and bigger injectors.

a_moore

Reaction score
What is cost of larger diameter fuel delivery valves? I have access to many different JD466 pumps. Look the same. I will see about getting one of those modded.

a_moore

Reaction score
Making custom water pump inlet flange. This will align with the stock lower radiator hose. The cast one was wrong angle and too bulky.

Attachments

• 20220911_115435.jpg
    20220911_115435.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 63

turbonitrous

Reaction score
Bead blasted paint off intake. New Android tube out of ss and factory map pressure sensor installed.
Nice! My intake plenum if flipped upside down so I could run plumbing over the top with a water to air intercooler in between. Saved me some plumbing and welding pipe

turbonitrous

Reaction score
What is cost of larger diameter fuel delivery valves? I have access to many different JD466 pumps. Look the same. I will see about getting one of those modded.
If I remember all in was about 1500 to have the pump reworked for more out put… I would have to look and see who quoted me that but I think it was in the 300hp range

turbonitrous

Reaction score
Ag oil filter assembly on.
Now there is an option I wish I would have known about! I did the relocation kit which is fine but it’s more stuff going on that side of the motor, on The upside I mounted back on the frame rail that is easy to get to and it cools the oil a bit

turbonitrous

Reaction score
After running I plan to take it to a pump shop. See what it gives and go from there.

I don't want a toy, but I most likely will not be happy unless it's close to 400-500.

If not happy, 12mm p-pump and bigger injectors.
Yeah I gotta be honest, I just don’t need that much hp. I’m not towing, I might load the bed down with a few thousand pounds to haul stuff and it’s fine for that.

a_moore

Reaction score
Yeah I gotta be honest, I just don’t need that much hp. I’m not towing, I might load the bed down with a few thousand pounds to haul stuff and it’s fine for that.
The 6.4 was in the 500s easy with the 4094, not as responsive as I would have liked but good. Factory compounds were way better for normal driving. It was definitely better on top end power over the stock.

This new 6.7 is 475. Feels like a deleted 6.4. Just quietly kicks ass and does it clean.

Spoiled now.

turbonitrous

Reaction score
The 6.4 was in the 500s easy with the 4094, not as responsive as I would have liked but good. Factory compounds were way better for normal driving. It was definitely better on top end power over the stock.

This new 6.7 is 475. Feels like a deleted 6.4. Just quietly kicks ass and does it clean.

Spoiled now.
Well all ya gotta do is double stock numbers if that DTA and you are close, although the inline 6 has a whole different power curve and they are so much smoother. I prefer it to my 7.3 power stroke BUT it’s tired and I’m getting ready to do a rebuild

turbonitrous

Reaction score

Spoiled now.
So you have me thinking, how are you providing oil supply to the twin setup. Are you just splitting the original output to both ?

a_moore

Reaction score
So you have me thinking, how are you providing oil supply to the twin setup. Are you just splitting the original output to both ?
Splitting original. The 4094r is ball bearing so it consumes tiny amount compared to a journal. They have an orifice on the inlet. In that same port I will add the factory oil pressure sensor and the oil temp on other filter loop.

My compound routing is going to be anything but conventional on the hot side. Conventional routing on the cold side.

turbonitrous

Reaction score
Splitting original. The 4094r is ball bearing so it consumes tiny amount compared to a journal. They have an orifice on the inlet. In that same port I will add the factory oil pressure sensor and the oil temp on other filter loop.

My compound routing is going to be anything but conventional on the hot side. Conventional routing on the cold side.
Ah ok, yeah that will be some shoehorning for sure… barely had enough room on the exhaust side to be off fender well … it was all tight over there and next to the firewall

a_moore

Reaction score
Stock charger going in scrap metal. Corrosion got the best of it. Stripped holes in comp housing, rusted bolts in turbine housing. When I finally got comp housing off, I chipped comp wheel. Etc.

S360 SXE .89 90° comp outlet as high pressure cold side. The 4094 is going on the manifold. 66mm gate to bypass S360 as required. I will use the S360 to light and under light load and then the 4094 can run the high rpm/load situations. I should be able to achieve a nice 40-50si with equal or lesser backpressure without losing the low rpm boost of the S360. I never had packpressure exceed boost on the 6.4 turning 4k+ with the 4094, so it should be a theoretical match.

I have wanted to try this since the 7.3 15 years ago.

Conventional cold side, swapped hot side.

a_moore

Reaction score
Ah ok, yeah that will be some shoehorning for sure… barely had enough room on the exhaust side to be off fender well … it was all tight over there and next to the firewall
Did I mention this was a farm truck. I have deleted the air conditioning. Fully.

The broken down ac cost me 80k for the new truck lol.

a_moore

Reaction score
I have chosen to order a stainless steel 5.9 chummins exhaust manifold. According to the tractor pullers running the D360 they line up c-t-c. Slight porting on the flanges and mounting hole bores is all that is required.

I searched for a dt360, dta30, d360 until I almost lost my mind. I hope this works.

Latest posts

Members online