Frankenstein.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
It's morning. Where's the dang daytime pics?!? :poke: :D

That is what I am waiting for. I want to see a good clean shot of it. I'm pretty sure my DD is going to get a coat of Plastidip this spring.... 220K miles of abuse on a TDI that sees a gravel road everyday has taken its toll.... this stuff looks like it covers well and is probably much more forgiving than paint.

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
All he got done yesterday was the taping off. He was headed to the shop about an hour ago and was going to start.

Taping and masking, at least to my standards was BEYOND time consuming, but learned and tried a few tricks with weather stripping, that I'm really curious to see how it turns out.......

He paid about $600 for the whole paint kit, paint gun, misc supplies to mask the unpainted parts, and paint. That's less then getting a wrap done.

Exactly......not to mention the "side business"

Interesting. Can't wait to see it at the Bash.

Man I'm so ready for the bash.......

Ewww... you kept the door molding? :poke:

Yeah I thought about taking it off, but God only knows how long its been on there and how many layers of paint it would have taken off with it

I was skeptical at first. Looks way different then I had imagined. Nice work Julian!

Thanks man, the pics really don't do it justice

AFAIK he is leaving it as it is. The final coat has pearlizer mixed in

Is he doing the glossifier on this or leaving it matte?

What Sak said.....it ended up being 4 coats of just anthracite to get everything even and one color to get a good base coat. Painting Plasti-dip is very different from painting regular paint, if you want everything to look uniform and even, you have to keep the gun in the same position, no sweeping motions and after you get the 2nd coat down, you have to spray wet, but right before it starts to drip or run.....talk about tricky, but towards the end I was getting it pretty good

Here is the pearlizer I used, which used a ratio of 1 to 3 pealizer/anthracite and then the last 2 was a HEAVY 50/50 mix, meaning I could generally cover the truck with 1 liter of paint, the last two coats took 2 liters each coat

paint8_zpscabd8ded.jpg

So its got a gunmetal look to it?

live life full throttle

I'm not really sure what to call the color just yet, as I haven't seen it in the daylight, but here it is dry.....

paint6_zpsa8318045.jpg

I couldn't wait any longer after an hour, so I had to let some sunlight in....

paint5_zpsf51a8e30.jpg

And then finally, I pulled it out, trying to catch the last bit of sunlight that was left....

paint3_zpse5ad7eb7.jpg

paint2_zps7f5bdad6.jpg

paint4_zps825abdef.jpg

Last edited:

JMart

Reaction score
It looks pretty good. I agree on leaving the side molding. When I pulled mine off is when I realized I need body work, or liner on the rockers.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Thank you sir....its coming along

Thanks Eric.....I am curious too.....when I go to change it, I'll put it through a small torture test to see what it will and wont hold up to

I've been wanting to do the same thing to mine, I'd like to go all one color and cover some of the rock chips and what not. Hard to beat on the cost of going this route, especially if it holds up to the TX heat and weather fluctuations.

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do the same thing to mine, I'd like to go all one color and cover some of the rock chips and what not. Hard to beat on the cost of going this route, especially if it holds up to the TX heat and weather fluctuations.

I think the stuff has come a long way......problem is that people don't know how to shoot it right, and just like paint, if you do it wrong, its gonna look like $hit. I saw one plasti dip sucks video, where the guys tried to shoot a bright red camaro with blue dip and non plasti dip paints and it came out some good awful purple maroon.....but that has nothing to do with the dip, that's not knowing how to work with colors correctly

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
seems to have turned out pretty damn good! Hope it stays for awhile because peeling that off will prob be a pain in the ass!

Latest posts

Members online