High Power turbos vs Tow Powers

jdgleason

Reaction score
Erics HP gains in this build is a result from the added fuel pressure from the pump and injectors. Those turbos are still falling way short.

Really? I have HP turbos on my truck with stock fuel and my truck pulls harder on x street then it did with stock turbos on x race

I would expect gain over stock turbos. It seems the gain hits a wall at some point. The power gain right now in hp turbos seems to be very minimal over tp turbos.

Please explain... The larger turbo is doing about 25-27 psi

Edit: or are you a bit jealous that Eric's truck with huge lift, rims and tires will probably give you a run for your money? Stop being a bitter Betty.
Start up another thread about this and leave this where it stands

Where are you getting this from? I know of three trucks that have given numbers from the HP turbos. Settlemire, Dillehay, and Clausen. First 2 are stock fuel, and Eriks truck is huge. You absolutely can not compare his truck to yours.

Carry on...

MINK

Reaction score
The wall you speak of Joe - backpressure issues keeping the power gain at minimum? Obviously the HPs will make the biggest gain compared with the stockers but I do tend to agree that when fuel along with over all setup is optimized there doesnt seem to be a huge gain with going to the HP over the TP setup.

This fight reminds me of the Single battle - cost/power output ratio....Going back to Erics truck though - his dyno curve is awesome with the HP.

jdgleason

Reaction score
What I'm getting at is what evidence do we have to support the statement "hp turbos don't make much more power than tp turbos"... ?

Smokin_Joe

Reaction score
Somebody needs to lay off the grass.....

If I was smoking grass I would have called elite to buy those turbos already, spend all that money and time to install them for what? Maybe a 40-50 HP gain and then they might fail on me.

I see bft tuned his truck down because he doesnt want them to blow. Elite is selling an expensive product thats not fugured out yet.

I would love to get rid of my Tp Turbos for something better.

Smokin_Joe

Reaction score
What I'm getting at is what evidence do we have to support the statement "hp turbos don't make much more power than tp turbos"... ?

How about you prove they do make more power ($8-10000 type power) over tp turbos on a truck with serious fuel.

BFT

Reaction score
If I was smoking grass I would have called elite to buy those turbos already, spend all that money and time to install them for what? Maybe a 40-50 HP gain and then they might fail on me.

I see bft tuned his truck down because he doesnt want them to blow. Elite is selling an expensive product thats not fugured out yet.

Let's get one thing straight... I tuned it down due to a stripped t bolt clamp that kept popping a boot and the filter minder getting sucked due to a most likely a dirty filter.

Plus, I hate changing tunes for when I have to tow

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Does anyone have a dyno graph of tow powers over 700hp we could compare to high powers? I don't seem to have a tow power graph. I also think that these high powers could be pushed harder than they are. Erics truck I think has the biggest fuel setup being used on them, with his Industrial pump and Elite 110's. I know Mals truck with tow powers and Elite 60's dynod 680hp. But it didn't pull near as hard as what erics truck does now. I wonder what a set of 100% over injectors and dual pumps would net you with them. It would be smoky for sure but I wonder where it would end up power wise.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The only true test would be to do.something like Aaron did with the tow power/ batmowheel showdown

Joe one big.thing you gotta rememebr is erics truck is at 6000 feet right now. Trust me it's not the same as sea level.

BFT truck went from 560 uncorrected at sea level with stock turbos down to 480 HP at 6000 feet with no changes.

Mike D's towzilla lost only 10 HP from sea level to 6000 feet with high powers same tune Ect
To me that's the biggest proof that the.turbos work. Altitude really pushes turbos efficiency level similar to.adding fuel
Erik should be able to run a much bigger tune at sea level and pick up some decent power along with it.

Is the.price difference worth it? I don't know but I do know if I owned eriks truck I would be completely happy with them. Great power no smoke spools lightening fast

Last edited:

jdgleason

Reaction score

How about you prove they do make more power ($8-10000 type power) over tp turbos on a truck with serious fuel.

Easy junior... First off, the hp turbos are $7500. Heres a link to buy a set https://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14002002/High-power-compounds/

Tow Powers are 3,050.00. $4450 difference in the chargers. Now lets look at this: The high powers are a whole totally new turbo, not just a factory turbo with a machined housing and a new wheel. The tow powers are an awesome bang for the buck upgrade, no doubt about it! Probably cant find a better one. As you stated.... you would love to get rid of your tow powers and try something better. Apparently you havent found that yet.

What hasnt been figured out yet about these turbos? There are only a few sets in existence, and they all seem to do pretty well. Ill ask again, what evidence do you have to say that these chargers make hardly more power than the tps? I know how airflow works in regards to making power and that is something that has seemed to escape you...

Because the tow powers can make the same boost all day long. Why wouldn't it make similar power?

More CFM makes more power. Simple as that. High powers move more CFM. They make more power.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Its just as easy to keep reading the thread and not post the stupid popcorn smiley into it. I have nothing to add to this like so many other people just bumping their post count so I'll continue to just read for the info!

MINK

Reaction score
The only true test would be to do.something like Aaron did with the tow power/ batmowheel showdown

IIRC Settlemeres #s were thrown around in that thread as 15-25hp higher than the tp Atmo only - granted those #s are all with stock fuel but that is really the best comparison anyone has right now IMO; stock fuel, same elevation, same dyno, same tune etc...

IDK if I even see Joes point anymore - we know the hps make more power period. I was more interested in hearing the "wall" he has no proof or comeback about.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Another thing that hasnt been mentioned is temps. With added CFM, EGT temps will drop. Just because X turbos made Y power at 1800* doesnt make them an ideal performer...

jdgleason

Reaction score
IIRC Settlemeres #s were thrown around in that thread as 15-25hp higher than the tp Atmo only - granted those #s are all with stock fuel but that is really the best comparison anyone has right now IMO; stock fuel, same elevation, same dyno, same tune etc...

IDK if I even see Joes point anymore - we know the hps make more power period. I was more interested in hearing the "wall" he has no proof or comeback about.

Thats what I am looking for as well. I agree, the trucks with stock fuel setups and the aftermarket chargers sort of plateau around 650-675 where fuel starts to run out. The biggest divider there is gonna be the temps.

I know temps from say a tow power atmosphere arent even going to be close to temps from, say, a tow x setup.

Latest posts

Members online